GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

People recommended to put premium gas only for 2017 vw golf 1.8T BUT WHY?

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I definitely noticed a difference whenever i would use 87 instead of 93. I've only run it a handful of times out of necessity since switching to 93 after the first few months of owning the car and wasn't happy.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
I definitely noticed a difference whenever i would use 87 instead of 93. I've only run it a handful of times out of necessity since switching to 93 after the first few months of owning the car and wasn't happy.
Different with a 2.0t than a 1.8

The 2.0t actually has a premium recommendation

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just a little heads up as has been mentioned....

Most regular petrol in your area will come from the same distribution refinery & be the same "base". The only thing that's different is when the truck driver pulls up from say Shell, they add their own additive mix to the tanker...each & every brand has its own "additive mix" to add to the base petrol...

Only time this is different is when you get to the high octane stuff like Shell Vpower & others...

Mk7GolfDisease

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8T TSI
I been on regular gas since i bought car 4 years ago no issues rose so is there any point or necessity to switch to higher grade when its crazy expensive probably not.

nimonery

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
Higher octane fuel allows for better performance in high compression (turbo) engines due to detonation timing. The only realistic change you will get using premium is a few hp increase. Its not going to hurt or affect the longevity of your engine to keep using regular.

Mk7GolfDisease

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8T TSI
I m
Higher octane fuel allows for better performance in high compression (turbo) engines due to detonation timing. The only realistic change you will get using premium is a few hp increase. Its not going to hurt or affect the longevity of your engine to keep using regular.
Agreed thanks for your opinion I mean one day when i have a decent high paying job then i can afford higher grades as everything comes with money if u barely got any or shit garbage job no point in wasting extra money on such things.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
If the sticker says, Regular Octane only or 87, it means you're completely safe to use that fuel because it was designed/tuned on those fuels.

Going beyond what the sticker recommends in my eyes is either a $$$ waster or for your own piece of mind. Yes, it burns cleaner, can be healthier overall for your engine, but up to what point? Are we talking short term or long term health? Again, the car was designed with Regular so short term should be 100% fine with the car. Now long term... well that is where maybe having cleaner fuel helps.

My father NEVER put anything but the cheapest gas he could find and his cars ran upwards to the 200k mileage mark and beyond. Sure, they didn't run like a brand new ride, but they still got him around, lol. Do you plan on keeping your car for that long? Lol.

Mk7GolfDisease

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8T TSI
If the sticker says, Regular Octane only or 87, it means you're completely safe to use that fuel because it was designed/tuned on those fuels.

Going beyond what the sticker recommends in my eyes is either a $$$ waster or for your own piece of mind. Yes, it burns cleaner, can be healthier overall for your engine, but up to what point? Are we talking short term or long term health? Again, the car was designed with Regular so short term should be 100% fine with the car. Now long term... well that is where maybe having cleaner fuel helps.

My father NEVER put anything but the cheapest gas he could find and his cars ran upwards to the 200k mileage mark and beyond. Sure, they didn't run like a brand new ride, but they still got him around, lol. Do you plan on keeping your car for that long? Lol.
Yes sir lol I maintain this car on the dot from tranny fluid change every 70k to oil change twice a year and serpentine belt change soon at 100k plus spark plugs at 100k as well. So yes i plan to run the car to the ground 100% I paid full price for it 32 grand 4 years ago so yeah 100% im keeping til it becomes to the point of expensive repairs or blown engine or tranny then ill drop it. But yeah i will upgrade fuel grade once i have stable income and higher pay job then yeah for sure ill change it and yes car fuel tank door sticker says in caps REGULAR ONLY UNLEADED lol

Mk7GolfDisease

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8T TSI
Just a little heads up as has been mentioned....

Most regular petrol in your area will come from the same distribution refinery & be the same "base". The only thing that's different is when the truck driver pulls up from say Shell, they add their own additive mix to the tanker...each & every brand has its own "additive mix" to add to the base petrol...

Only time this is different is when you get to the high octane stuff like Shell Vpower & others...
Oh ok got it thats why i remain at same gas station company vs different ones 99% of time

ScorpionT16

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 MK7.5 Autobahn

Mk7GolfDisease

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8T TSI
It's the ethanol in the base one's that aren't good for the engine, esp if left standing for a few weeks. And in Canada, that I know off, Shell V-Power 91 is the only ethanol free grade. Run it in all my motorcycles and GTI, and my previous 2.5L Golf. If you can find regular gas, ethanol free, I'd rock that in your car np

https://www.bellperformance.com/blog/how-to-protect-your-car-from-ethanol
https://www.goldeagle.com/tips-tool...e-and-how-to-protect-your-engines-against-it/
Oh wow ok good to know i mean I general use Shell regular gas and my fuel tank door sticker says use only regular unleaded gas...

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
Oh wow ok good to know i mean I general use Shell regular gas and my fuel tank door sticker says use only regular unleaded gas...
There are very few places that sell ethanol free gas and the ones that do are all over the place as to brand down here. Some will sell 87 Ethanol Free and other just 93 Ethanol free. Regardless there is a huge mark up to get your gas without the ethanol. Honestly if you are driving your car daily I hardly think the juice is worth the squeeze! Unless you car is going to stay parked long enough for the gas to start to breakdown, Ethanol should not be a problem.

Mk7GolfDisease

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8T TSI
There are very few places that sell ethanol free gas and the ones that do are all over the place as to brand down here. Some will sell 87 Ethanol Free and other just 93 Ethanol free. Regardless there is a huge mark up to get your gas without the ethanol. Honestly if you are driving your car daily I hardly think the juice is worth the squeeze! Unless you car is going to stay parked long enough for the gas to start to breakdown, Ethanol should not be a problem.
No i drive my car weekly haha trust me no sitting nothing😂