GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

People recommended to put premium gas only for 2017 vw golf 1.8T BUT WHY?

cb1111

Yes, one could listen to internet chatter, or one could look at actual tests Is Premium Gas Worth It? We Test High Octane on 4 Popular Vehicles (caranddriver.com)

There is one exception. As cars age and engines crud up, you might need a higher octane gasoline to keep the engine from knocking - but if isn't knocking on regular, then there is no need to waste money.

You should buy gas from a busy station an Top Tier if possible.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
Use whatever the sticker on the gas door says and don’t think too much about it. My 2016 GSW has been running on 87 since new and my 2015 GTI has been running mostly on 91/93, that’s what the engines were tuned for and that’s what I’ve been using.
Carbon buildup and running clean(er) has nothing to do with octane rating. If anything go for tier 1 gasoline, whatever the octane rating.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
In for biblical levels of information that is wrong.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
It's easiest to simply taste the gas to determine which brands and octane levels are the best.

It's the only way to end this debate...once and for all.

Reactions: WAP

Mk7GolfDisease

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8T TSI
Use whatever the sticker on the gas door says and don’t think too much about it. My 2016 GSW has been running on 87 since new and my 2015 GTI has been running mostly on 91/93, that’s what the engines were tuned for and that’s what I’ve been using.
Carbon buildup and running clean(er) has nothing to do with octane rating. If anything go for tier 1 gasoline, whatever the octane rating.
Yup thanks for the clarification I just wanted those guys to know that im nothinf like them of using tune ups or whatever they did, I am basic daily car driver as I didnt buy car for extra speed or tune ups if i wanted higher premium gas and horsepower i would have bought GTI or Golf R haha not mid range golf 1.8t haha

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
It's easiest to simply taste the gas to determine which brands and octane levels are the best.

It's the only way to end this debate...once and for all.

Nope, much like fine wine, everyone has different taste buds and preferred flavor profiles. The best and only way is to fill mexican coke bottles with each brand of gas in your area and stopper them with a CLEAN sock with no holes on the heels and light them on fire. The last one to burst open is the one you want.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Nope, much like fine wine, everyone has different taste buds and preferred flavor profiles. The best and only way is to fill mexican coke bottles with each brand of gas in your area and stopper them with a CLEAN sock with no holes on the heels and light them on fire. The last one to burst open is the one you want.
I should do this test inside right?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Higher octane fuel allows for better performance in high compression (turbo) engines due to detonation timing. The only realistic change you will get using premium is a few hp increase. Its not going to hurt or affect the longevity of your engine to keep using regular.
Turbo engines are lower compression. The OP won't get any more power from premium fuel than regular unless his engine is tuned and requires higher octane. Otherwise it's a complete waste of money.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I agree with most of these comments about 93 vs 87. Run the recommendation.

I have noticed a difference in quality of gas at the same octane level though. When towing with my Q7 recently (6700 lbs) I was getting 16 mpg using BP 93 over 260 miles. Using Phillips 66 on the way back (and with better road conditions) I got 12mpg. That's massive when towing.

Years ago when I was in college I ran 10 gallons of various brands of fuel each week for a few months. Each fuel was run on 3 separate weeks, each time 87 in a Honda accord, and each time I did the same drives to and from campus. Seems crazy ocd, but I did research in college and enioyed documenting things. BP and shell got the best gas mileage. Conoco and similar mid tier brands were middle ish, and store fuels (Kroger, Costco, Sam's) were at the absolute bottom. I don't remember all the numbers, but I do recall the effective cost difference. Between BP and shell and the middle tier, you had to save 40c per gallon for the mpg tradeoff to be worth it. Between top and bottom tiers it was just under 60c per gallon difference.

If I had a routine drive like before, I'd love to do this again. A v6 accord might behave totally differently to a 2.0 turbo!

Firstgentalon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 1.8 TSI
Doesn’t a higher octane give slightly better gas mileage? Or is that just something I tell myself.

nimonery

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
Turbo engines are lower compression. The OP won't get any more power from premium fuel than regular unless his engine is tuned and requires higher octane. Otherwise it's a complete waste of money.
Hmm I guess you're right turbo charged engines do have a lower compression ratio, as it seems they have to be toned back to make up for the extra boost provided by the turbo. I wonder why I always thought they were high? Maybe cause Compression+boost is higher than a similar displacement NA engine?