GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Photography Class

Sergio_in_SF

Ready to race!
OK folks, OP is probably too busy IRL, and hasn't posted since 11/20/12, so I've taken the liberty to update the list:

1.) logixal1
2.) Philimon
3.) miguelr
4.) littleazn248 (instructor)
5.) iGTI
6.) Travis2010
7.) maxgtiturbo
8.) Noob_2.0T
9.) Telryon
10.) Sergio_in_SF
11.) samwapp
12.) ongnoi
13.) Jeka
14.) Vancity2Constantinople

So far, we only have 1 "instructor" signed up. Anyone care to step up for that role?

Why don't we get started with our first assignment? I feel it should probably be pretty specific so that it would be simpler for the instructor to "grade" and critique. Something like: "Shoot a shallow DOF of the VW emblem and use OCF". Or: "Demonstrate creative use of lensflare on a backlit image".

@littleazn248, as our instructor, would you please define and give out our assignment?

BTW, can I propose a rule or guideline? Since the idea behind this is to stimulate creative juices and motivate us to actually go out and shoot, each submission should be a NEW shot, not something you pull out of your archive. So please keep your exif intact.

I'm a total noob with shooting cars, I have no clue how. So I'm really excited to get started on this.

- Sergio

Sherlock997

Ready to race!
I think this is a good idea but I find it would be kind of difficult to do over the forum. Ive been doing photography for about a year now and here's my Flickr. I don't think I'd make a very good instructor though. haha

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
I typed out a lecture a while back I'll post it when I get home.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

dragon69185

Go Kart Champion
Thank you for getting the list of everyone who wanted in. Sounds like a great idea for a first assignment as well. I'm a bit concern about off camera flash though. Not everyone's camera has that ability or an external flash to use. OCF optional?

Probably going to suggest something simple and abstract so there are multiple interpretations of it. Limiting it to certain "techniques" makes it harder for creativity and people that aren't as familiar with it.

I would suggest something more like wooded scenery with your vehicle. Good amount of leeway for interpretation, something to help learn about composition, can be done just about anywhere (even in urban environments. Get creative ;) ), and can be done day or night.

Just my 0.02 ;) :thumbsup:

Sherlock997

Ready to race!
Probably going to suggest something simple and abstract so there are multiple interpretations of it. Limiting it to certain "techniques" makes it harder for creativity and people that aren't as familiar with it.

I would suggest something more like wooded scenery with your vehicle. Good amount of leeway for interpretation, something to help learn about composition, can be done just about anywhere (even in urban environments. Get creative ;) ), and can be done day or night.

Just my 0.02 ;) :thumbsup:

Yeah I'm agreeing with you because lighting is a bit more advanced for the first thing in a beginners course. I say do what you said but try to incorporate the rule of thirds or something like that. For those who don't know the rule of third says that the object you are shooting should take up about a third of your shot. Don't quote me on that definition lol

dragon69185

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I'm agreeing with you because lighting is a bit more advanced for the first thing in a beginners course. I say do what you said but try to incorporate the rule of thirds or something like that. For those who don't know the rule of third says that the object you are shooting should take up about a third of your shot.

I would say do that maybe for the next set of shots or next "class". First shoot should always be something pretty abstract for a beginner's course to see where people are coming from and how they interpret things in order to get a gauge and feel on how well they will grasp (or not grasp) certain concepts and ideas ;)

Sherlock997

Ready to race!
I would say do that maybe for the next set of shots or next "class". First shoot should always be something pretty abstract for a beginner's course to see where people are coming from and how they interpret things in order to get a gauge and feel on how well they will grasp (or not grasp) certain concepts and ideas ;)
That is a good idea and and exactly why I'm not teaching the course haha

miguelr

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I wouldn't start off with off camera flash. Natural light to start. Shot of your car at sunset with the nicest scenery in your area. That would be cool to see what people have. And basic enough to start this off?

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I wouldn't start off with off camera flash. Natural light to start. Shot of your car at sunset with the nicest scenery in your area. That would be cool to see what people have. And basic enough to start this off?

I won't be touching flash very much at all. The only thing I will teach with flash, is flash fill portraits. It just gets too messy with flash loaded into the picture and myself I don't feel confident teaching that segment yet.

Just out of curiosity does anyone have any recommendations of how we should share photos? Should we just post the image here or link it to the photobucket album?