GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Questions regarding MAC Laptops...for a Noob.

FaLLeNAn9eL

JESUS HATES FLAT TIRE
HAHA you are both mistaken it's all about the toss... High Templars and Psionic storms would rape those lords..

To stay on topic, I was a hardcore pc dude. Made a switch to the mac, not because I wanted to be hip and cool. Vista just blows in my opinion. I've been overall satisfied. From your description either the entry level or medium level macbooks sound right up your alley.

I can't wait for SCII :happyanim:
My favorite race is Protoss but EMP > Protoss.

FaLLeNAn9eL

JESUS HATES FLAT TIRE
The only thing I really hate about Terran is building. Sucks that you have to use multiple SCVs to build multiple buildings. I hate building supply depots.

FaLLeNAn9eL

JESUS HATES FLAT TIRE
Overlords are nice but I have the nasty habit of randomly blowing the enemies Overlords up with large fleets Scourges.

Haggisman14

Cram V
Definitely get one of the newer Core Duo machines. I'm still using my PowerBook G4 - for over 3 years now, and although it still works fine, it's slow as a dog compared to the newer ones. I have a MacBook 13" i use at work, and even though the smaller screen sux, you can run dual monitors no problem, and the clarity of the screen is awesome!

Only "problems" I'm having with my PowerBook is that opening Adobe programs, and working on large photoshop/illustrator/inDesign documents...it takes longer than it should to open/modify these documents at times--and this is with 2 gigs of ram.

I still love the machine, and depending on what they come out with in October/November, I might pawn this machine off to my folks, and pick up one of the last machines prior to the switch over.

I'm not a gamer, but I'd say talk to some mac users that are gamers...not sure if you could just run some of your games off of Boot Camp--that way you wouldn't hve to drop another 1500 on a windows machine...just plunk that down for a mac...and if you want to get really crazy and don't need to be mobile...get the 24" iMac....DEAD SEXY!

Marc

davesee

FIA GT Champion
I recently upgraded from an iBook G4 1.33ghz 12" to a Macbook pro.. the little g4 held its own very well and is fine for what you are going to use it for.

While the intel chipsets are MUCH better, it is not worth it for you to buy since you can get a G4 for half the cost.

ekk20

Go Kart Champion
im sure a lot of people started of using pc, but if they become a mac convert they will never look back. thats the case for me and my gf, we find mac so much more useful, so much more user friendly and it's a lot more convenient.

im still quite new to mac after a year of usage (almost), i'm sure there are a lot of other features the mac has that i haven't known yet. try out a mac, go to an apple store and get one of the guys to explain how things work.

with the release of windows vista, and apple going stronger everyday, i'm sure it's now a world of mac.

eROCK

Go Kart Champion
http://www.powermax.com/parts/code/PM_CU_MK

You're welcome. Upgrade it to at least OS X 10.4.11.

Not sure if you saw my earlier post or not with all the gaming talk that took over this thread, but this place is selling the Intel Macbooks for the same price as the G4 you found. So why not get it? OS X 10.4 or 10.5 is best (although I like 10.4 a little better).

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
I have a 13" macbook with the intell chip however you DON'T NEED THAT for web browsing and word processing. Get a old 12" powerbook with the G4 chip... it will do anything you need it to do.

eROCK

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the information guys!! Is there a paticular OS I should be looking for? is 10.4 better then any of the others? or does 10.6 have alot of bugs? These are the types of questions I was thinking about...is there anything I should steer clear of?

OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) is not out yet...maybe Summer 2009. The 2 versions to look at are 10.4 (Tiger) and 10.5 (Leopard). You'll get a mixed review by many people here, but it's my experience that 10.4 is a bit more stable. The lastest release for Tiger is 10.4.11 (free upgrade). 10.5 does have more bells and whistles, but with that comes a few bugs. They just released 10.5.5, and it's suppose to fix alot of those bugs so we'll see. The BEST Mac website to view is http://www.macsurfer.com. It will have the latest mac related news stories to keep you up to date on all things Apple (including knowns issues, bugs, etc.). Next Summer they will release 10.6, and it's only going to run on the intel Macs since it's fully 64bit. So if you're looking for any longevity with your laptop, get an intel macbook (costs the same as a G4 if you use the link I provided earlier). 10.6 will also be a trimmed down version, as they're going for more stability. I believe Windows is doing something similar in a year or two also (read it somewhere...can't remember where).
My opinion...best bang for the buck that will last you a long time....an Intel macbook running either 10.4.11 or 10.5.5.

utekineir

Banned
Feature wise 10.5 had some new things but nothing all that groundbreaking. The best 2 additions for me are.

Spaces which is basically gives you multiple desktops to quickly switch between. I love it on a laptop, but on my 2x24" desktop its not nearly as useful.

Ichat screen sharing is handy if you have computer illiterate family members/friends running 10.5 to help here and there. It's basically just a polished, super easy to get running remote desktop though. Nothing amazing but if you are trying to help people that have all they can do to open a web browser its pretty handy. Couple clicks and you've got their screen up with full control of everything, no setup involved other than having them on your buddy list.

Other than that for day to day dicking around there isn't much of a difference. Never really had stability issues with one or the other.

Also, unlike windows theres no activation. So if you get something with 10.4 it isn't all that much trouble to get a copy of 10.5 and upgrade. I used the 10.5 disc from a mac mini on my laptop with 0 issues.