GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Questions regarding MAC Laptops...for a Noob.

utekineir

Banned
The mac mini isn't bad, i bought one to use in my livingroom off an lcd tv last fall, the 2.0ghz core 2 one.

For shits and giggles its pretty nice, throw any encoding or serious work at it and things go downhill though.

Eventually I replaced the mini in the living room with an apple tv being fed by a mac pro in my office room that handles encoding and whatnot. The mac mini was given to my parents and setup in their livingroom with a monitor to use as their computer, and also hooked to their plasma to use through frontrow. Every so often i bring them up a hard drive of movies to copy over.

It works great for their needs.

The mac pro is by far the best computer i've ever owned, but expensive as hell.

utekineir

Banned
If it has dvi or vga in.

10.5 has the newer version of front row. If you just want a media front end that has no tuner/dvr functions its pretty decent.

skacoreimplore

they see me trollinnn
Get a used CD MacBook. A C2D will cost too much as of right now. Don't listen to anyone that told you to get a 12" Power Book, the value of those are pretty high for their age due to their form factor. If you really want to get something that is PPC go for a g4 iBook, if you are willing to spend a little more go with a CD MacBook.

eROCK

Go Kart Champion
Today I purchased a Refurb MacBook 2.1GHZ Core 2 Duo with 120 GB HD, 1 GB of RAM (Which I can upgrade to 2 if need be) and a Combo Drive.

$950 Shipped to my door.

Wow dude that's awesome! Congrats :clap:
I bought my first Mac about 11 years ago, and at the time I was working in a computer helpdesk (mostly PC support), but we supported Macs too. In our lab, I found myself drawn to the Mac everyday, so I ended up buying one. Never turned back. Not saying you'll get as addicted to it as I did, but I wouldn't be suprised if you did. You already know how to maneuver around a PC, so give yourself a little time to figure the Mac out too before you judge it. Did they say which OS it ships with? If it comes with 10.5, do the following. Connect it to the internet. Click on the icon of an Apple in the top left corner. Select "Software Updates". Find the update for 10.5.5, and download it. You should be good to go after that.