GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replacing Rear Speakers with a DROP IN solution

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
I understand where you are coming from, but I think the reason you blew them up is because you were overdriving them with your amp. A stock replacement for dirt cheap and a tweak of your setup and you won't blow them, and they'll be better matched with your fronts.
I agree, I didnt have the speakers tuned well and they were very overpowered. I turned down the gain to the rears and adjusted the frequencies. However the damage is still done and I can hear the right left speakr starting to fail as well.

Instead, you are going to spend decent money on better speakers than the fronts and turn them down so you don't get the benefit of spending the money on the better speakers? Its your money, but that doesn't make sense to me.
I understand what you are saying, but I just have the mentality that if something fails I might as well replace it with a better piece of equipment while I am in there. That way I will at least prevent the disaster from happening again. PLUS ifI do decide to replace the fronts then I will have a fully complete system :thumbsup:

I don't think you are being an ass, and hopefully you don't think I am, I just don't see the logic in investing in aftermarkets for the rear then turning them down so you can still run stock in the front.
Good, as I started to write that up I thought I might have came out like an ass. I just didnt want to sound like an arrogant punk completely disregarding the inputs from others.:thumbsup:

Its kinda the same as the guy who said he turns the bass down on the HU, but uses a LOC to send signal to his sub. You've spent good money on something then configured it in a way that does not take full advantage of the investment.
I hear ya, but just like I said above I might as well replace the stockers with better equip while I am in there, even if I do have to down tune the speakers.

Go to www.crutchfield.com They have a thing to type in your car and give you drop in speaker sizes... Dont order from them as their prices are outrageous. I just use it to get speaker specs.
I already looked there, Crutchfield doesnt show any drop in solutions, all of the listed speakers need an adapter of some sort.
From the looks of things I am going to have to go with a set of speakers + adapter rings anyways, so I guess I will look at their inventory again.
BTW their prices are higher than most places as they include ALL of th eneeded hardware to install the speakers. I assume that the price of the speakers will include the adapter rings (need ot verify that one).

Again thanks for the comments guys, I really am an audio n00b and can use all the advice I can get :thumbup:

BoardSnow6

Banned
Car(s)
Capita Scaremaster
They prob dont give available speakers, but it tells you the speaker size that you need in order to replace it, or.... you could just take an air cutter and put shallow mount 6x9's in there. When i had my si i modified my rear deck so that i could put 6x9's in.

asp87

Ready to race!
They prob dont give available speakers, but it tells you the speaker size that you need in order to replace it, or.... you could just take an air cutter and put shallow mount 6x9's in there. When i had my si i modified my rear deck so that i could put 6x9's in.
I wasn't going to chime in here, but maybe I will afterall... Whatever you do, don't do that ^. 6x9's are one of the worst speaker sizes out there. Stay away from anything elliptical.

Why are you even bothering to replace the rear speakers? I thought 'what could life be without rear fill?' Then I started tuning my system and decided that it sounded better with them completely disconnected. They're good speakers too. It's just where the sound is coming from...

Speaking of which speakers I used back there, they're a set of Alpine Type R 6.5" components. The woofers drop right in but the tweeters took some creativity. Check out the link in my sig for details.

I have my 3 way components in each door and my sub in the hatch playing and that's it. I actually physically disconnected the rear speakers at the amp.