GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Blind Spot Assist / Side Assist

Slimshouki

Car(s)
Passat B8
I was worried about 3d printed adapters, Found metal ones on aliexpress.
View attachment 243616

I always though Travel Assist was for autos only, so ive never investigated. I have pACC enabled, but i never use ACC on anything but highways. I havent yet pulled the trigger on wheels. But i found a good source for airbags in the usa that fit the passat wheels airbag mounting mechanism. the golfs ive seen use a different mounting scheme and i havent found anything yet in the usa.

Im gonna try and finish the 360 cameras before i jump into the heated wheel. Unless i find a smoking deal. I spend way too much time in etka and ebay looking for car parts. I should probably take a break.
^^^
Same as the man above: multiple ADAS retrofits....never seen a calibration board.

Nice, I got this email that my 2Q0 was delivered today. Waiting to get my adapters from Craftcloud3d. Do you have pACC now and/or intend to get Travel Assist working? And if so what's your plan for the Traffic Sign recognition which is now SWAP protected? My understanding is only Traffic Sign Recognition is SWAP while everything else is still coding. Over on drive2 it is written that touch sensors in the wheel work to keep lane assist active (without having to turn the wheel slightly) even without Travel Assist... so that's cool.

I have pACC right now which I like a lot. I do get a "traffic sign display is limited message" at the start of every drive even though everything seems to work fine. It seems to me there's a mismatch and/or miscommunication between TSR in the camera and my Disco Pro navigation database. Could very well be a coding issue is as well, although I don't have any faults and that message is gray (advisory?) on the Vehicle Status screen.

Travel assist seems like the logical advancement of pACC. I ordered an Mk8 wheel with touch buttons PN 1EA959442B which are for travel assist. But that likely means I have to get (buy and have activated) the SWAP for sign recognition. I might also order 1EA959442A which just has driver assist button, although that will duplicate the button on the end of my left steering wheel stalk.

View attachment 243587

Hmmm, we're probably off topic here... hmmm, maybe one of us should start a separate thread about Mk8 Steering wheel retrofit, where we can also talk about these buttons, travel assist and whatever else. I assume you're going heated wheel.

Not that important and still off topic... the part number for the Mk8 steering wheel lower insert for the GTI is 5H0419659AWUZ. I was looking for the GTD part number (although my TDI ≠ GTD) without success, so I ordered the plain black insert without any logo, PN 2GM419659041.
Guys I successfully calibrated the sensors using hand made tools by myself and everything working now. I am just anxious about engine fault u100800 "diagnostic interface for data bus" appeared after replacing my gateway from mid to high to be able to install the radar sensors. I looked up the error and it seems some long coding need to be done in the gateway.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Guys I successfully calibrated the sensors using hand made tools by myself and everything working now. I am just anxious about engine fault u100800 "diagnostic interface for data bus" appeared after replacing my gateway from mid to high to be able to install the radar sensors. I looked up the error and it seems some long coding need to be done in the gateway.
Good. Glad to know it is possible without dealer.

Don't know about the code though. But a cursory look, everything I've found point to a coding issue in gateway

Slimshouki

Car(s)
Passat B8
Good. Glad to know it is possible without dealer.

Don't know about the code though. But a cursory look, everything I've found point to a coding issue in gateway
A friend claimed that its related to generator/alternator voltage or configuration in gateway adaptation but cant find any relevant settings. I will try to compare full scan of my gateway before and after to see the difference.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Well, that sucks. Those brackets I got apparently sit the camera too high. Codes for incorrect camera position

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Well, that sucks. Those brackets I got apparently sit the camera too high. Codes for incorrect camera position
Same problem with either set of brackets? Did you trim the heater area plastic? They mentioned it over in drive2, because of the difference in the lenses?

Is it possible the incorrect camera position is because it's "view" is blocked?
https://www.drive2.ru/l/601476567054441419/
About 2/3 of the way down, on a Golf.

Better picture of trimming on the Tiguan blog post...
https://www.drive2.ru/l/596489732066645321/

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
Same problem with either set of brackets? Did you trim the heater area plastic? They mentioned it over in drive2, because of the difference in the lenses?

Is it possible the incorrect camera position is because it's "view" is blocked?
https://www.drive2.ru/l/601476567054441419/
About 2/3 of the way down, on a Golf.

Better picture of trimming on the Tiguan blog post...
https://www.drive2.ru/l/596489732066645321/
Maybe i trimmed too much, who knows. Gonna order the tiguan heater.

Getting a vin mismatch code too. I dont think the version of odis work. i couldnt find component protection anywhere for the A5 module.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
I'm quickly losing patience with this stupid camera. Can't get rid of the view blocked code. Won't let me start dynamic calibration. Tried flashing it, to start fresh. 1.3 hours later. Nothing changed.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Damn, that sucks. Maybe I should leave well enough alone. I've read mixed reports about improved lane keeping abilities. There is the CP and TSR FEC to deal with too.

My Mk8 wheel finally made it across the water, scheduled for delivery on Thursday. Maybe I'll just switch the buttons for the ones with the Driver Assist button (and keep my steering wheel stalks that don't have that same button) instead of Travel Assist and forget about the 2Q0 camera.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
I'm hoping I just trimmed too much off the heater. Got one coming. Got a calibration board coming too. Got my fingers crossed

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
I will know tomorrow, the calibration board, 3q0 gateway and new camera heater coming. Fingers crossed

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
It's tomorrow 😁.
So, it took alot of attempts, but it did work. I was just leaving ODIS on automatic car identification, and it wasnt working. Read some drive2.com posts. And one mentioned you needed to identify the car with a car that came with a 2Q0 camera. A couple of attempts more and finally worked. But (theres always a catch it seems). Maybe im missing something but i think it needs the new wheel (with the sensors). Driving home, it told me to take over steering even though i had my hands on the steering wheel.

But the lane assist did seem improved. Held tighter turns. Wasnt affected by the the shadows created by over head power lines onto the road like the 3Q0 camera was.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@xabhax You did this with ODIS online then, I assume? I will need someone to remote-in for that on my side. Which adapters did you end up using?

That takeover steering message is interesting. Somewhere on Drive2 there is mention of an adaptation in the gateway (I think) that had to with the KLR modules in the new wheels. I believe those are responsible for touch recognition. Maybe your gateway is looking for those? Of course, I would think you'd have errors indicating as much.

Awesome you got it working though. Also assuming you did calibration with the board since you mentioned you had one coming. I will likely end up trying the dynamic (on road) calibration. It works great in my wife's Tesla 🤷‍♂️. You can choose to recalibrate the cameras right from the car settings page. Then you'll lose autopilot/driver assist functions until the calibration is complete, typically 10-15 miles if driving on well marked roads. Funny enough the on-road seems to be the singular way to do it on a Tesla. Her car when delivered, with about 12 miles on it, had no assist functions available until we drove it for a while.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
@xabhax You did this with ODIS online then, I assume? I will need someone to remote-in for that on my side. Which adapters did you end up using?

That takeover steering message is interesting. Somewhere on Drive2 there is mention of an adaptation in the gateway (I think) that had to with the KLR modules in the new wheels. In believe those are responsible for touch recognition. Maybe your gateway is looking for those? Of course, I would think you'd have errors indicating as much.

Awesome you got it working though. Also assuming you did calibration with the board since you mentioned you had one coming. I will likely end up trying the dynamic (on road) calibration. It works great in my wife's Tesla 🤷‍♂️. You can choose to recalibrate the cameras right from the car settings page. Then you'll lose autopilot/driver assist functions until the calibration is complete, typically 10-15 miles if driving on well marked roads. Funny enough the on-road seems to be the singular way to do it on a Tesla. Her car when delivered, with about 12 miles on it, had no assist functions available until we drove it for a while.

I used a gateway dataset from mibsolution.one. No errors though. There is probably something in coding or adaptions im missing.

No odis online for the camera. Just a vas5054 and odis. Instead of chosing a Golf, i chose a 2020 Tiguan (mentioned in a drive2 article). I was gonna try the dynamic today, but i dont want to temp fate. Took me like 1hr30minutes with the board, trying to get it positioned right. Guess it just means i almost have to do a new wheel now. I have no choice.