GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Roll-Center Adjustable Ball Joints

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
I've been digging into threads to figure out if there's a clear rule to roll center ball joint big brake clearance. I'm currently running a 17z 330mm kit (rotorlab) in the front and want to pick up some ball joints to correct the roll center - offered by whiteline, superpro, and even racingline. I'm lowered to track stance (fenders rolled and on koni coilovers with whiteline sway bars and links).

I've read that these ball joints make a significant difference, so I'm keen to throw some on but don't want to pull the trigger if they won't fit against my brakes. Does anybody have any insight into this?

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
I'm running Superpro balljoints with a Stoptech ST40 328x28mm bbk and mine clear. I believe if you're running aftermarket control arms there will be a clearance issue. The balljoints combined with Ground Control camber plates allow me to have -3.0 camber up front for a proper track alignment.
GTI track stance.jpg

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
Cheers - sweet setup by the way. Any tire rubbing?

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Cheers - sweet setup by the way. Any tire rubbing?
No rubbing now but I had to get creative in the rear to clear, as well as running -2.5 camber. I’m running 255/40r17s and I can’t say I would recommend it. Widest I would go is 245/40r17, which is about perfect.

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
Noted, I'll be sticking to 225, so I don't think I'll have to roll the rear fenders at all - I've done the fronts though.

postbox

Hi there, 2013 GTI owner. Wanted to create similar thread but here we go.

Installing KW V3 right now, and hit a few road blocks - including way too low sitting rear (in KW's recommended config) and need to install whiteline roll correction balljoints on the front to get front LCAs back to straight position. Running 350mm fender to center of the hub right now and LCA is not exactly horizontal, but I'll give this config a go.

It's a ~10mm drop from stock 360mm, but not as dramatic as KW advertises - down to 320mm is ok according to them.

KW V3 LCA position-1.jpg

I'm running 355mm ST40 rotors on the front and whiteline ball joint barely clears them. I also use aluminium knuckles from Passat, but that should not matter - supposedly the same geometry as stock steel ones. Also have GC camber strut top mounts.

Photo Oct 18 2023, 16 39 40.jpg

I did file ball joint body a little - to make sure it won't catch the rotor at any point of shock's bump travel.
Basically removed an edge - not much really.

Photo Oct 19 2023, 17 01 47.jpg

Anyway, tuning in the alignment in the moment, will share an update in a few weeks. Targeting -2.0 front camber since this is (was :ROFLMAO:) my daily.

Also note the tie rod angle - this doesn't look good to me. I need adjustable tie rod as well.

Last edited: