GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shifting...

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Not sure if this has already been covered, but at the dealership the guy selling the car to me told me that your supposed to shift at 1800 RPMS, I feel that thats two quick for first and second as I've been driving it for a while, but where are you other guys shifting in terms of RPM, to provide the best gas mileage with a comfortable shift sequence?

KaynE

FIA World Rally Car Champion
In the morning when my engine is really cold, I shift at 2k.
I shift at 2.5k on a normal basis.
I shift at 6k when I'm feeling rev happy.

1.8k is a little too low. When you change to the next gear, you'll be at a really low rpm with no torque at all. Also, it will lug the engine and waste more gas.

McPsycho

Rally Car Champion
LivEToDrivE said:
Not sure if this has already been covered, but at the dealership the guy selling the car to me told me that your supposed to shift at 1800 RPMS, I feel that thats two quick for first and second as I've been driving it for a while, but where are you other guys shifting in terms of RPM, to provide the best gas mileage with a comfortable shift sequence?

i usually shift around 3 or so. im getting about 25mpg in the city driving like that.

LivEToDrivE

Car(s)
GTI
Ok sounds good, yea cus as son as I shifted at 1800 I'm right back at 1800 again, so its pretty much a shift from first to third

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
What a joke. A dealer actually told you to shift that low. What's he doing? Padding his warranty?:iono:

VDUBB

Rally Car Newbie
:laughabove: :bellyroll:

LivEToDrivE

Car(s)
GTI
I have driven stick before, but my prelude was very different, this is my first VW, so wasn't completely sure how the car was tuned and where it should be shifted, but I found myself comfortable between 2500 and 3000 rpms.

Vivid

Formula 5000 Driver
I cruise around at 2500 unless on the hwy and shift around 4500-5000... There is next to no power till you start getting over 2000... whats the point of having a turbo if you shift before it ever kicks in?

Edit: I just saw the OP was concerned with MPG... I am more interested in having fun so that's how I drive/shift... That being said to get the best MPG drive and accelerate slowly, if your coming up on a light that's red slow down way before you get to it and lastly drive with your AC off and windows up... I know this is hard to do, the easiest thing would be to get a TDI

tydale3

Rally Car Champion
The gti has more than enough tourge at 1800 to shift. Max as a matter of fact is at 1800 all the way to redline. I find about 3000 is where I naturally shift. Sometimes in town I go from first to 3rd to 5th. Two shifts and your cruising. No lugging at all. Love that tourge.

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
tydale3 said:
The gti has more than enough tourge at 1800 to shift. Max as a matter of fact is at 1800 all the way to redline. I find about 3000 is where I naturally shift. Sometimes in town I go from first to 3rd to 5th. Two shifts and your cruising. No lugging at all. Love that tourge.

Max torque STARTS at 1800 and runs to 5000. Shifting at 1800 would put you at very low RPMs in the next gear. And you'd have to be wide-open to get that torque at 1800 RPM.

Not to be an ass, but it's torque, not tourge.