GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shifting...

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
2k6Tornado_Red_MK5 said:
sure....but on my DWI nights i'm not down with all the shifting....plus.... fuck it DSG is the shit..... plus i'm not some gay ass fast and the furious wanna be motherfucker. i creep fuck all that shifting
hmm, you sound drunk now. :biggrin:

DWI huh? thats not very safe, thats down right retarded, but hey you wanna go ahead and risk other peoples lives, you are number one in my book...

what does driving stick have anything to do with fast and the furious type shit?

alf

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
2k6Tornado_Red_MK5 said:
sure....but on my DWI nights i'm not down with all the shifting....plus.... fuck it DSG is the shit..... plus i'm not some gay ass fast and the furious wanna be motherfucker. i creep fuck all that shifting
wow lets simmer down abit. driving stick is so not fast and furious. fast and furious are ricer body kids bovs tin can exhausts that have a coffe can sized tip. and DWI thats plain old fuckign stupid, hoenstly ANY1 who is caught DWI should b thrown in jail FOREVER and have their car fucking taken away, its by far the most stupid thing i have ever heard. and thirdly, lets cut back on the derogative terms huh...

bigdyno

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Teknophreak said:
Also saw this...
Getting into the highest gear you can, at the lowest possible speed, will save you plenty of gas.

Why? Because you use less gas when the engine is turning slowly. The slower the engine turns, the fewer the number of explosions in the cylinders. And fewer explosions means less gas consumed.

So, if you drive a manual transmission car, shift sooner. As long as the engine doesn't buck, shutter, or ping, you're fine. You'll sacrifice the ability to accelerate quickly — but you can always downshift if you need to accelerate.

As far as I can tell, the efi computer monitors throttle application and delivers fuel accordingly, so if you are stomping on it to 3500 then shifting, more fuel will be delivered than if you use the "egg under foot method", which, I might add, was an excellent analogy. If you doubt this, drive 100 miles or so one way and then change. You should see the miles/km's until refueling reflect your throttle use.

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
bigdyno said:
As far as I can tell, the efi computer monitors throttle application and delivers fuel accordingly, so if you are stomping on it to 3500 then shifting, more fuel will be delivered than if you use the "egg under foot method", which, I might add, was an excellent analogy. If you doubt this, drive 100 miles or so one way and then change. You should see the miles/km's until refueling reflect your throttle use.

Check out the May issue of Road and Track starting on page 105. One quote that they have broken out at the bottom of the page is exactly as follows "Remember Coach Grimbly's dictum about 'driving with an egg under your foot'? Forget it." According to the article, revs are what kills your gas mileage. They suggest (not kidding here) using wide open throttle and short shifting. (shifting as soon as possible without lugging the engine in the next gear) I have been following their advice and my mileage has improved noticibly. I drove 376 miles on my last tank of gas. I live 2 miles from work and most of my driving consists of short trips in town. BTW, you don't rev it to 3500 rpm. I shift around 2K. Seriously, try it out for awhile - you may be surprised.

MMD

Oval Champion
aznkukuboi said:
In the morning when my engine is really cold, I shift at 2k.
I shift at 2.5k on a normal basis.
I shift at 6k when I'm feeling rev happy.

1.8k is a little too low. When you change to the next gear, you'll be at a really low rpm with no torque at all. Also, it will lug the engine and waste more gas.

i agree with u aznkukuboi, shifting at 2 - 2.5k is just fine