GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Snow guard may not actually be a snow guard

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Does Georgia qualify as a hot climate?

Nope. I would think something like Dubai does though. My car was delivered to Georgia with a snow guard. I've had it out since I've owned the car, so about 35k miles and a little over 3 years. Car hasn't imploded yet or anything. I do clean my aFe Pro Dry filter every 10k though.

They lump North America together. Blame Canada.

This.

I've had mine removed for years with no issues.

Same.

Marcsoup

I'm just outside of Boston, so we get a decent amount of snow (or, used to. Fuck climate change...) I've had my snow guard off for 3 years and about 40k miles with no issues.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I’ve driven through swarming love bugs in Florida, with the entire front bumper, grill and much of the intercooler covered with dead bugs. Using the 034 front air dam (direct flow) and removed snow grate, I inspected the panel filter expecting to see bugs and not one was trapped by the filter.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
With the design of the stock system with air only entering on the p. side at a 90-deg angle to the duct that passes through to the engine bay, I can't see how any snow could ever enter the air box...it would flow through the duct and into the engine bay.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
It's possible for a part to accomplish two tasks at once.

Looking at pictures of these, they appear to be primarily designed to break apart larger chunks of snow that might have built up in grille openings; partially managed by the inertia of the clumps. As well, I'd suspect it's actually agitating the airflow a bit; rather than smoothing it out, to use the movement itself to break clumps into smaller particles. If snow cakes the filter itself, it could remain frozen even in a hot engine bay as air is pulled through in effectively laminar flow at such close proximity to the element itself.

If, however, it's broken apart and kept away from the filter and suspended in turbulent, flow, that snow is going to melt and fall away in the lower division of the airbox.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
[emoji4] it seems that it's actually called " Snow Screen"
I was just going to ask what the friggen manual said ??

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
It highly unlikely that removing it has any real world benefit anyway.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It highly unlikely that removing it has any real world benefit anyway.

Driving on the street? Likely not, but it certainly isn't going to hurt. An afe filter and removing it flows as well as most of the aftermarket intakes our there.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Last page, note 7. Screen, filter. Take your pick.

Attachments

• 2016 Maintenance Cards_USA_Golf R_August 2015 (1).pdf
    25.3 KB · Views: 185

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
It's possible for a part to accomplish two tasks at once.

Looking at pictures of these, they appear to be primarily designed to break apart larger chunks of snow that might have built up in grille openings; partially managed by the inertia of the clumps. As well, I'd suspect it's actually agitating the airflow a bit; rather than smoothing it out, to use the movement itself to break clumps into smaller particles. If snow cakes the filter itself, it could remain frozen even in a hot engine bay as air is pulled through in effectively laminar flow at such close proximity to the element itself.

If, however, it's broken apart and kept away from the filter and suspended in turbulent, flow, that snow is going to melt and fall away in the lower division of the airbox.

How is the flow going to be laminar there?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
They call it a snow guard but it’s basically a pre filter.