GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Software Update

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
If it is like the Octavia big update then only the infotainment unit ending in B and C are getting updated… for the newer units there will be a seperate update for them too …

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Massimo 2323. Will VW dealers download this new software updates on ALL B and C infotainment units or only those that have ‘issues’?

mageor

Passed Driver's Ed
Goodafternoon from Greece....I think my Golf 1.5 Style (3/2020) has (suffix A) variant of the infotainmet unit....what about an update about it? Any Info Mr Massimo?

Lest44

My car went into the garage last week to investigate issues with keyless entry being very intermittent, black screen when using CarPlay, climate system forgetting sync and the kph to mph sudden reduction in speed. I was expecting them to say no fixes for any of those faults, but I was surprised when they have updated the car from 1666 to 1668 for the CarPlay black screen issue which apparently the 1668 does fix it. I have not seen the fault reoccur, but still early days.

The keyless entry also has a fix which was an update required to the Start/Entry Authorisation Control Unit taking its software from 0703 to 0706, this has fixed the problem! Result! Also, if you don’t already know, apparently keyless entry if not used for 48hrs, will turn off as a car battery saving system. Just open with the key fob and it will be up and running again.

Onto the kph to mph sudden braking issue, this for me has only happened once, but once is enough to cause a major accident, so hence I got the garage to look into it. Believe this or not but the garage said the fault was only seen on 17xx applicable hardware as the road sign reading system incorrectly read the signs and acted accordingly and they think there may be a link to google maps on CarPlay conflicting with the road sign reading system. The garage master tech, was unsure where the ACC took its speed limits from. I had found the wife’s iPhone was using at the time incorrectly set to automatic and not mph as mine is and normally used. Time will tell.

The sync issue on the climate system is still unknown why it’s happening, so be interested to hear if anyone gets this resolved as it’s very annoying.

airforced

Passed Driver's Ed
Firmware only gets changed by a Dealer update tos. OTA updates are minor changes and you usually don't know what has been updated unless you notice that something has changed.

NB A firmware update takes 4+ hours. That is why it is a Dealer job.

Reactions: tos

Eric of Ayr

My car went into the garage last week to investigate issues with keyless entry being very intermittent, black screen when using CarPlay, climate system forgetting sync and the kph to mph sudden reduction in speed. I was expecting them to say no fixes for any of those faults, but I was surprised when they have updated the car from 1666 to 1668 for the CarPlay black screen issue which apparently the 1668 does fix it. I have not seen the fault reoccur, but still early days.

The keyless entry also has a fix which was an update required to the Start/Entry Authorisation Control Unit taking its software from 0703 to 0706, this has fixed the problem! Result! Also, if you don’t already know, apparently keyless entry if not used for 48hrs, will turn off as a car battery saving system. Just open with the key fob and it will be up and running again.

Onto the kph to mph sudden braking issue, this for me has only happened once, but once is enough to cause a major accident, so hence I got the garage to look into it. Believe this or not but the garage said the fault was only seen on 17xx applicable hardware as the road sign reading system incorrectly read the signs and acted accordingly and they think there may be a link to google maps on CarPlay conflicting with the road sign reading system. The garage master tech, was unsure where the ACC took its speed limits from. I had found the wife’s iPhone was using at the time incorrectly set to automatic and not mph as mine is and normally used. Time will tell.

The sync issue on the climate system is still unknown why it’s happening, so be interested to hear if anyone gets this resolved as it’s very annoying.

chasb73

Dropped my car off at a dealership yesterday. No fix for the travel assist KPH/MPH yet but the service person I spoke to said he had a mk8 with the issue too and that VW were aware and working on a fix

the update seems to have sorted the keyless entry issue and was also for the SOS issue too, which was down as a recall on the service paper (although surely VW would have sent a letter?)

72DCB468-7907-427F-AEFC-17ABCD3388E3.jpeg

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Dropped my car off at a dealership yesterday. No fix for the travel assist KPH/MPH yet but the service person I spoke to said he had a mk8 with the issue too and that VW were aware and working on a fix

the update seems to have sorted the keyless entry issue and was also for the SOS issue too, which was down as a recall on the service paper (although surely VW would have sent a letter?)
It’s a service recall or service campaign, as opposed to an official vehicle safety recall. If it was the latter, it would be coordinated by the official government body - the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) - on behalf of VW and an official letter would be sent out to all owners of affected vehicles.

Service recalls / campaigns are dealt with by the dealer (usually) the first time an affected vehicle is back at the dealership for other warranty work or servicing after VW have released a fix for issue that’s the subject of the service recall. There’ll be no communication sent out by VW - or by DVSA on behalf of VW - for a service recall.

So if an owner chooses to get their car serviced outside the VW dealer network, then it won’t have service recall actions applied to it.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Checked last night and still no Tpi for the update.. they will send a technician dressed as santa to our house on christmas day with a VW gift box, inside a usb stick with the 1810 software on it…😂😂
Mike from Mqb retrofits in Germany has already updated a few Golf 8 cars from 1668 to 1810.
The software is there, but without the TPI the workshops wont know and cant do anything.

Shatter

Have an April 2021 Golf R. What a disappointment. Infotainment system is slow and laggy. Sat nav works when it wants to. Drove 25 miles today with the heat fully on and sunroof open. ( Not by choice) I then got a message to close the sunroof as the cars aero dynamics were affected. Couldn’t make it up! Controls for the climate control disappeared . Turned the car on and off a couple of times but no change. No mention of a system update but luckily heating controls returned for the return journey. The radio mutes itself. Had a more reliable computer 30 years ago.
Who designed this car.. what with turning the heated steering wheel on every time I get into the car ( only discover this when the steering wheel gets hot as the symbol on the steering wheel does not change colour) and the overly complicated lights not to mention the unlit sliding heating controls that are impossible to find at night. The previous model was superior in almost every way and sounded better too. Loved the last trouble free Golf R but merely like one.

airforced

Passed Driver's Ed
Checked last night and still no Tpi for the update.. they will send a technician dressed as santa to our house on christmas day with a VW gift box, inside a usb stick with the 1810 software on it…😂😂
Mike from Mqb retrofits in Germany has already updated a few Golf 8 cars from 1668 to 1810.
The software is there, but without the TPI the workshops wont know and cant do anything.
I have to ask this Massimo. Does the 1810 update solve the problems?
I'm on 1668 but don't ever use the ACC (don't like that sort of thing nor do I trust it). 1668 has the odd lapses now and again but in essence has worked fine for me so far so I'm much, much happier with the car than previously (except I still haven't found a way to show a trip meter/odometer in the driver display yet). Yet while I keep reading about folk having problems I'm always wondering what and when the next problems will be.

Last edited:

tos

Go Kart Newbie
They told me that for 1803 will be major update after Christmas or new year.
My climatronic forgets some settings all the time. And windscreen get foggy from corners at cold for couple seconds...