GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Soylent? Anyone here try this?

Shini

Go Kart Champion
I was intrigued until I checked the price. I spend less than that a month on actual food.

What're you eating that's lower than $3-4 a meal on average? Not trying to sell you on soylent or anything, I'm just legitimately curious

sskamboj

Ready to race!
i had a co-worker who went on a purely soylent diet for a few months and he lost his mind. although that could've been a combination of things

Shini

Go Kart Champion
i had a co-worker who went on a purely soylent diet for a few months and he lost his mind. although that could've been a combination of things

Haha let's hope so

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
What're you eating that's lower than $3-4 a meal on average? Not trying to sell you on soylent or anything, I'm just legitimately curious

What can't you make for yourself under $4/meal is probably a better question. Sure it costs more than that to actually buy the stuff the first time but when you average out the cost per serving that includes a shit ton of meal options. Just avoid the pre-packaged processed crap that's not actually good for you that is marked up thousands of percent.

Consider chicken breast is $2.36/lb which makes a 4oz serving size only cost $0.59. Chicken thighs instead would cost half that.
A potato is around $0.33 each.
Serving of carrots around $0.20
Serving of lettuce is $0.15
Throw in $0.30 for a serving of seasonings/dressing and you're looking at a traditional american meal for $1.57.

Rice and beans man you can live on that for almost nothing.

Last edited:

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion

trev1342

Go Kart Champion

Shini

Go Kart Champion
What can't you make for yourself under $4/meal is probably a better question. Sure it costs more than that to actually buy the stuff the first time but when you average out the cost per serving that includes a shit ton of meal options. Just avoid the pre-packaged processed crap that's not actually good for you that is marked up thousands of percent.

Consider chicken breast is $2.36/lb which makes a 4oz serving size only cost $0.59. Chicken thighs instead would cost half that.
A potato is around $0.33 each.
Serving of carrots around $0.20
Serving of lettuce is $0.15
Throw in $0.30 for a serving of seasonings/dressing and you're looking at a traditional american meal for $1.57.

Rice and beans man you can live on that for almost nothing.

Eating that sounds more depressing to me then soylent. You can live on rice and beans but it's not healthy to live on just that.

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
Well that's just an example. A stir fry would be even cheaper as would a number of other dishes. Then the savings under $4 each meal can be spent on steak and lobster on the weekend and still keep your average below it.

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
I should try this stuff... :iono:

WAP

Go Kart Champion
FAP beat me to it. I lub him.

By a week, dude.:wub:

I fear the reference is lost on the younger members here:laugh:

Well that's just an example. A stir fry would be even cheaper as would a number of other dishes. Then the savings under $4 each meal can be spent on steak and lobster on the weekend and still keep your average below it.

:word:

Variety is the spice of life, and of eating. It's really cheap to eat real, home cooked food. Dat crock pot helps even more.

Why?

trev1342

Go Kart Champion

Because it looks trendy and I'm a North-Shore Long Islander, so I'd fit in with the crowd a bit better.

:sm3:

WAP

Go Kart Champion

Shini

Go Kart Champion

Yeah that's cool. I just can't remember the last time I've stuck to strict portion sizes for meals when made at home to make sure I don't eat more than 4 Oz's of chicken, etc. In theory I suppose you could have cheaper meals but at what cost? Bargain buying meat and measuring everything you cook? I'd rather pay a bit more for soylent, maybe mix in some fruit and know I'm getting everything I need without a doubt and not have to take time to cook daily

Shini

Go Kart Champion

I mean...it takes awhile to get it, supposedly they just ramped up production 4 fold though so maybe it won't now :iono:

Even if you don't intend on eating just it as your source of food it works great as a meal replacement. You can make it as you use it so you don't waste any.

Me and the wife just normally make a full batch which is 4 meals and use it up in 2-3 days atm

trev1342

Go Kart Champion