GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

State of the Forum..

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Report user. Ignore user. Move on.

But then I can't see the spam to preach doom and gloom. That's the only reason I go to the MK5 forums 🤣

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I'll say this - ignoring questions that can be found by searching may lead to people actually taking initiative to find their answers for themselves. No response is far less toxic than just saying "do your research"

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
But then I can't see the spam to preach doom and gloom. That's the only reason I go to the MK5 forums
That is funny- whenever 4chan goes down, the VWVortex MkIV forums is the internet's closest substitute.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
If the current owners/founders aren't interested in running it, just sell it to Verticalscope or a similar company.

VWVortex was founded by several guys back in the '90s. It was a passionate hobby for the main dude, Jamie Von Druska. He also had 2-3 partners. Jamie got real tight with VWoA and at one point was on the payroll I believe. They used the site to take a poll for what colors to offer on the 20th Anniversary GTI - and used the results of that poll to pick the colors. Very close relationship.

Verticalscope came along and made them an offer they couldn't refuse about.. 10 years ago now? Not sure exactly when that was. I heard the number at the time (I'm pals with one of his original partners who cashed in as well) and it was a VERY sweet 7-figure number that they received. My point being - this site has value. How much? I have no idea, but if the owners aren't active with it anyways, why not unload it and take the $$??

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I'll say this - ignoring questions that can be found by searching may lead to people actually taking initiative to find their answers for themselves. No response is far less toxic than just saying "do your research"
But that's it - it's not "toxic" to tell someone how to find answers. The manner by which that message is delivered is the issue. As I said above, I typically respond with a more relaxed "I've seen this before, long post here with all the info, search XYZ and you will find it" vs. "USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ASSHOLE". I really think your average person doens't understand how to effectively search etc. I can't tell you how many folks in the FB groups say "thank you for showing me that...I had no idea you could search these pages".

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I meant no offense by that, but as someone else pointed out, and correct me if that is wrong, but you are the only one moderating this forum, yes? I also want to thank you for your dedication - you do a fantastic job, but it seems to me that it's a lot of work for one person..
It seems I am the only one yes. And you're correct it is a lot of work, zero thanks, mostly ungrateful people that I'm doing it on a free site they benefit from for free. Lots of bitching and moaning from the acadias of the world. I don't get paid for this, I'm a vw enthusiast with slightly more access than everyone else that's about it. Yet people expect me to get involved with their personal drama, buying disputes, getting ripped off from another user, you name it.

I've been in contact with the site admins about adding additional mods. They've already been selected

golfdave

Autocross Champion
I think this site will still be relevant on another 7yrs....I'm on some car sites where the cars are now 20yrs old..& still loads of people on there...& people will still be buying this gen of Golf as a project/second car etc. as its one of the best versions ever...

I intend to keep my car for another 7yrs anyway...& I know some of my how to guides are referenced heavily by other websites/people across the globe.....only thing that has gotten me down is the endless spam..but thats upto the owners to sort the software out...if they did that it would make the mods jobs easier.

If the SHTF I'd have to find a webhost & create my own reference site for all my how to guides!.....I just hope it doesn't come to that...!!!

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I think this site will still be relevant on another 7yrs....I'm on some car sites where the cars are now 20yrs old..& still loads of people on there...& people will still be buying this gen of Golf as a project/second car etc. as its one of the best versions ever...

I intend to keep my car for another 7yrs anyway...& I know some of my how to guides are referenced heavily by other websites/people across the globe.....only thing that has gotten me down is the endless spam..but thats upto the owners to sort the software out...if they did that it would make the mods jobs easier.

If the SHTF I'd have to find a webhost & create my own reference site for all my how to guides!.....I just hope it doesn't come to that...!!!
The hours I keep are unfortunately opposite of our members in the uk

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
When do we find out who the chosen ones are?

When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east; when the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves.