GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
I really think my 245/40R17 V730s are faster/better on track than the 255/40R17s (same tire, same 9in wide wheel).

I bought the 255s to use for autocross but I've consistently logged higher acceleration Gs on the 245s. There is also a massive difference in "feel" as well. I do think the 255 fronts are better under hard braking, but that's a pretty small part of autocross.

And this is only the fronts being changed. I run a 255/244 rev stagger when the 255s are on.

I just bought more 17x9s (Konig Hypergrams) for autocross next year, but I think ultimately I'll end up on something in 18x9 eventually for brake upgrade capacity.

I really want some APs, but if I'm going to spend AP money, I'd rather do the 380mm kit (for the RS3) over the 355s.

Last edited:

mkvii.717

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Anyone got big winter plans ? I guess for those who get winter off. First mod for me was something to keep my skinny butt in place.
PXL_20231231_172303910.jpg

PS I know dirty seats but look its winter and mods are more important than detailing

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I really think my 245/40R17 V730s are faster/better on track than the 255/40R17s (same tire, same 9in wide wheel).

I bought the 255s to use for autocross but I've consistently logged higher acceleration Gs on the 245s. There is also a massive difference in "feel" as well. I do think the 255 fronts are better under hard braking, but that's a pretty small part of autocross.

And this is only the fronts being changed. I run a 255/244 rev stagger when the 255s are on.

I just bought more 17x9s (Konig Hypergrams) for autocross next year, but I think ultimately I'll end up on something in 18x9 eventually for brake upgrade capacity.

I really want some APs, but if I'm going to spend AP money, I'd rather do the 380mm kit (for the RS3) over the 355s.
I can 100% get behind this. The car feels so much better with 245 40 17 than 255 40 17.

FlyingNugget

Go Kart Newbie

What's the explanation for the 245 being faster? I run 255 and it never crossed my mind that going to a 245 would be faster.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
What's the explanation for the 245 being faster? I run 255 and it never crossed my mind that going to a 245 would be faster.
Better gearing, significantly lighter both as sprung and rotational weight, and sidewalls better supported within the rules of STH.

It truly feels like a different car when you compare 255 40 17 and 245 40 17.

And if your on 660's, it's even worse. They're closer to 265 in the 255 size. So damn heavy.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit

Basically this below:

Better gearing, significantly lighter both as sprung and rotational weight, and sidewalls better supported within the rules of STH.

It truly feels like a different car when you compare 255 40 17 and 245 40 17.

And if your on 660's, it's even worse. They're closer to 265 in the 255 size. So damn heavy.

I cycled between (6) V730s all last year. (4) 245/40R17s I ran initially, and then because I started doing a bunch of autocrossing I picked up a pair (2) of 255/40R17s. For most of the year I ran the 245 square setup on track.

I ran the 245 square setup at the first autocross of the year:
https://www.datadrivenmqb.com/tripreports/tsccax1

Tried the 255s at the next event:
https://www.datadrivenmqb.com/tripreports/tsccax2

Ran the 245s square in May, set my personal fastest lap ever at VIR:
https://www.datadrivenmqb.com/tripreports/vir-with-tscc-may-2023

The next autocross event I ran the 255s again with a codriver... I think their main benefit is heat resistance... but enough to matter, I'm not sure:
https://www.datadrivenmqb.com/tripreports/tsccax3

Had some oil ingestion problems on track later that summer. Kept autocrossing on the 255/245 setup in the meantime, also autocrossed some other peoples' cars as well. They didn't see THAT MUCH use.

Tried out RCO ball joints at stock ride height at Fastivus in September (I really just wanted the camber though - it was a quick experiment in an attempt to add camber) at Fastivus on the 255/245. Nothing to really learn there tire wise. The ball joints were awful. Removed them immediately afterwards. Not sure if it was the added bump steer or the messed with roll center height. Will find out this year since I'm throwing APR springs on to drop it a bit.

Oktoberfast at VIR: This was the first chance to actually push on track with the 255/245s at VIR (which I'm very familiar with at this point). The grip felt down, primarily in the ability to trail-brake effectively. I posted a few graphs here comparing the "friction circles" from May (245 square) vs October (255/245):
https://www.datadrivenmqb.com/tripreports/oktoberfast23

December at VIR: Drove on the 255/245 setup again. Didn't go any faster again, and the car never felt confident enough to push 120mph in the esses like back in May.

In a nut shell there are a lot of potential variables... but the car has never even anecdotally "felt" as good as it was on the 245s square. This COULD vary from tire to tire, but generally speaking I think a LOT of autocrossers just copy what "the fast guys do" and too much "information" gets passed from one person to another. Without any proper testing being done.

The FAST guys are fast regardless of what they drive. It literally doesn't matter. The other 99% of autocrossers make lemming decisions because XYZ Alien autocrosser does it... and there are VERY few of even the top guys who do real proper testing. The Aliens can be fast in spite of what they're running, not because of it.

Without doing a proper A/B/A test same day, two sets of tires/wheels which have already been "scrubbed in" identically and given a proper rest period first, you just won't know for 100% sure. It's fucking expensive and time consuming, and the human element will also always be at play as well. Then throw in that some people just plain drive cars that are set up differently better than others. And also there's always the likelihood that a tire change MAY benefit from some other suspension tweak that would NOT normally benefit the other. This applies for different brand tires as much as it does for one size of tire to another.

I don't consider what I did as true "testing". It was just comparing some data from a few separate trips.

I WILL say it is incredible how noticeable it is just driving around though. It feels different immediately even just pulling out of the driveway. The steering is so much heavier with 255s and considerably less sharp.

FWIW my Mazda2 best it ever felt was on 205s on 15x8in wheels. It was a noticeable difference going from 15x7.5 to 15x8 wheels on that thing. I ran a set of 225s on 9in wide wheels up front at a few events in that car, and it felt good laterally but the car was just so Goddamn slow to accelerate. There was a ~3mpg difference on average between the 225s on 9s and 205s on 8s on that car.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
GRM has done the back to back testing. Better supported tire, less weight and better gearing are faster.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
GRM has done the back to back testing. Better supported tire, less weight and better gearing are faster.

Correct. Tire rack did too.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=313

GRM testing in this article has a bit with 205 and 225s on 8in wheels. Essentially the same exact time was run. The 225s for faster on a wider wheel.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/wheel-width-is-wider-always-better/

The problem is that's still a sample of that particular use case. It suggests that's LIKELY the fastest setup, but different tires can respond differently (see 275 Hoosiers on 6.5 wide wheels back in stock class days).

A LOT of top drivers still stuff tires though (without testing to KNOW it's faster) is my point. And they're fast regardless of setup.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Correct. Tire rack did too.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=313

GRM testing in this article has a bit with 205 and 225s on 8in wheels. Essentially the same exact time was run. The 225s for faster on a wider wheel.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/wheel-width-is-wider-always-better/

The problem is that's still a sample of that particular use case. It suggests that's LIKELY the fastest setup, but different tires can respond differently (see 275 Hoosiers on 6.5 wide wheels back in stock class days).

A LOT of top drivers still stuff tires though (without testing to KNOW it's faster) is my point. And they're fast regardless of setup.
On a manual mk7, I can tell you 245 40 17 pulls so much harder out of corners than 255 40 17.

I might feel differently about a 7 spd DSG. The gearing is so low in 1st and 2nd that it might like the taller tire.

But yeah, driver mod makes more difference. Locally, I finish 1st or 2nd in class most years, usually in top 10 pax. Pro driver in my car is 2 sec faster.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Ok, ordering tires this week. Definitely doing 245 40 17.

Was planning on V730's, because they're usually so much cheaper, but they're only $20 difference from RE71RS, so I think I'm just going to pull the trigger.

Anyone have a better suggestion or experience with the RE71RS?

I used to use the old RE71R and liked them enough to go through 5 sets over the years.

What say ye mk7 forums.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
From what I understand the new RE71RS is better in every way essentially. Aside from maybe requiring a TAD more heat (older ones were more like A052s heat tolerance wise).

RE71RS is going to be the move I make for autocross tires this year. I agree I think the V730s were a smoking deal when they were $150/ea (what I paid and why I got 6 of them last year)... but when they're within spitting distance of all the top tires there's no way I'd pay $200/tire or whatever they are now.

Consider the Nankang CRS V2 as well if you do nothing but HOT autocross events. They have a much better heat tolerance. Also if you're bad about setting your fastest run on #1 or #2... the Nankangs "turning on" a bit later when your driving is better may be advantageous.

I'm going to buy one of those two tires... depends on if I secure a co-driver for the entire season or not though. If not, RE71RS... if so, CRS V2. FWIW.

Per Andy Hollis the A052, RE71RS, and CRS V2 all can make the same speed.. they just do it in different ways. A052 requires tons of camber also. A052 turns on immediately, CRS V2 loves heat, and RE71RS is somewhere in between.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
From what I understand the new RE71RS is better in every way essentially. Aside from maybe requiring a TAD more heat (older ones were more like A052s heat tolerance wise).

RE71RS is going to be the move I make for autocross tires this year. I agree I think the V730s were a smoking deal when they were $150/ea (what I paid and why I got 6 of them last year)... but when they're within spitting distance of all the top tires there's no way I'd pay $200/tire or whatever they are now.

Consider the Nankang CRS V2 as well if you do nothing but HOT autocross events. They have a much better heat tolerance. Also if you're bad about setting your fastest run on #1 or #2... the Nankangs "turning on" a bit later when your driving is better may be advantageous.

I'm going to buy one of those two tires... depends on if I secure a co-driver for the entire season or not though. If not, RE71RS... if so, CRS V2. FWIW.

Per Andy Hollis the A052, RE71RS, and CRS V2 all can make the same speed.. they just do it in different ways. A052 requires tons of camber also. A052 turns on immediately, CRS V2 loves heat, and RE71RS is somewhere in between.
Yeah, that's what I'm leaning towards the RE71RS.

Really disappointed with Kumhos pricing the V730's so high. $206 for 245 40 17 is $30 too much, but I think they've become popular in champcar as an RS4 alternative, which is probably driving the price.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Yeah, that's what I'm leaning towards the RE71RS.

Really disappointed with Kumhos pricing the V730's so high. $206 for 245 40 17 is $30 too much, but I think they've become popular in champcar as an RS4 alternative, which is probably driving the price.

Must be the premium on the smaller sizes.

They’re still $110+ cheaper per tire in 18’s.