GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

GoodlinesRacing

Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Am I the first to autocross in 2024? lol We have our problems here in Florida, but winter ain't one of them :)

Attachments

• 40121.jpeg
    40121.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 30

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Am I the first to autocross in 2024? lol We have our problems here in Florida, but winter ain't one of them :)
We're up in Jacksonville, but lost our primary site. Having a hard time finding a new one. It sucks.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I went to look at a new 23 R after my wife gave me the go ahead to buy a new car. Hated the interior and sunroof. It's fast from a standstill and you really can feel it rotate under throttle. It's not $20k better than my stg 1 19 GTI.

I went in with an open mind, but I just doesn't have the feel I'm looking for. I've owned 2 mk1 GTI's, mk2 GTI, Corrado and 2 mk7.5 GTI's. The R just doesn't feel the way I want and I can't imagine not having plaid interior. I also drove a mk8 GTI, still hate the interior, but hated it less than the R. The mk7.5 is just a better car for what I want, so I'll staying with the 19 and continuing on the path to IS38.

mkvii.717

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
I went to look at a new 23 R after my wife gave me the go ahead to buy a new car. Hated the interior and sunroof. It's fast from a standstill and you really can feel it rotate under throttle. It's not $20k better than my stg 1 19 GTI.

I went in with an open mind, but I just doesn't have the feel I'm looking for. I've owned 2 mk1 GTI's, mk2 GTI, Corrado and 2 mk7.5 GTI's. The R just doesn't feel the way I want and I can't imagine not having plaid interior. I also drove a mk8 GTI, still hate the interior, but hated it less than the R. The mk7.5 is just a better car for what I want, so I'll staying with the 19 and continuing on the path to IS38.
Could always be crazy and try a GLI trunks are fun :)

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG

For your consideration: https://www.audiorangepark.com/used...Audi-TTS-ff30fd880a0e0a9973009721c339a425.htm

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Bringing the car and driver out of semi-retirement for the Phoenix Solo Tour at the end of the month.

With my new job's schedule, off Wed and Thurs, I have not been to an autocross since last year's Crow's Landing Tour.

I updated the front page with my new specs, which is just going back to my soft spring setup for cool days/asphalt.

Thanks to all of you who have made this thread the hands-down go-to for MK7 STH setup and autocross talk!

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I found time to attend the first Solo National Tour in Arizona in many years. So, with help from my autocrossing buddies, I put the race parts back on the GTI and gave it a go! After day 1 I was ahead by 1.347 sec and by the end of day 2 I would leave a 2.741 sec gap over second place Sid Elorde. Also testing my catch can to see how bad it is, @DerHase no noticeable oil on the catch can dipstick.

Here's just the in-car view

Last edited:

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk8 GTI
Tires ordered. RE71RS was the winner. $100 difference from the V730's.

RT660's developed a split in the the seam of every tire, even after paying for heat cycling. Probably not an issue for ax, but no way I'd trust them on track. Falken can f off. They also heat cycled out badly. V730 were sticky to the cords. I haven't even hit wear bars with RT660's and they're bricks.

Just more info for others looking at tires.
damn! I knew about the tread splice issue, but hadn't read anything about the heat cycling issue with the RT660. I'd love to find a fast tire that is also directional to allow it to be flipped around after some camber wear shows up. Only other one that I know of, is the RS4 and those aren't known a competitive tire for autoX.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
So, my plan was GS for a year or two with the new car, but I just can't.

Reading over the camber rules, it looks like McPherson strut cars and do adjustable lower control arms instead of camber plates. That seems so much easier. Why aren't we doing that?

Because mk8 already has CS springs, and mine came with DCC, I'm thinking offset lca bushings and either TTRS arms or the 034 arms.

Am I missing something? Why hasn't that been a path to more neg camber?

Add a rear sway and call it a day for now.