GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Street Touring Hatchback (STH) discussion/setup

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk8 GTI
So, my plan was GS for a year or two with the new car, but I just can't.

Reading over the camber rules, it looks like McPherson strut cars and do adjustable lower control arms instead of camber plates. That seems so much easier. Why aren't we doing that?

Because mk8 already has CS springs, and mine came with DCC, I'm thinking offset lca bushings and either TTRS arms or the 034 arms.

Am I missing something? Why hasn't that been a path to more neg camber?
I really like the 034 arms. I believe I also got an extra .6 degrees of additional caster which should provide additional dynamic camber. The RS3 style solid rubber bushings in the 034 LCA's are nice too, fingers crossed that they have a long service life.

I'm also running camber plates with my Cygnus coilovers, so I blew STH rules away when I decided to go a bit overboard.

I'll just have to be satisfied with having fun and not being competitive in XA.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I went to look at a new 23 R after my wife gave me the go ahead to buy a new car. Hated the interior and sunroof. It's fast from a standstill and you really can feel it rotate under throttle. It's not $20k better than my stg 1 19 GTI.

I went in with an open mind, but I just doesn't have the feel I'm looking for. I've owned 2 mk1 GTI's, mk2 GTI, Corrado and 2 mk7.5 GTI's. The R just doesn't feel the way I want and I can't imagine not having plaid interior. I also drove a mk8 GTI, still hate the interior, but hated it less than the R. The mk7.5 is just a better car for what I want, so I'll staying with the 19 and continuing on the path to IS38.
This didn't age well.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I really like the 034 arms. I believe I also got an extra .6 degrees of additional caster which should provide additional dynamic camber. The RS3 style solid rubber bushings in the 034 LCA's are nice too, fingers crossed that they have a long service life.

I'm also running camber plates with my Cygnus coilovers, so I blew STH rules away when I decided to go a bit overboard.

I'll just have to be satisfied with having fun and not being competitive in XA.
Yeah, I'm looking at TTRS or 034.

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk8 GTI
Yeah, I'm looking at TTRS or 034.
IIRC TTRS arms increase track width about 10mm and I thought I read something about possibly having issues with CV shafts not inserting in hub deep enough. I'm sure you've done more research on them than I have though.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
IIRC TTRS arms increase track width about 10mm and I thought I read something about possibly having issues with CV shafts not inserting in hub deep enough. I'm sure you've done more research on them than I have though.
Don't 034 do the same?

Track Hack guy in Australia runs them on his mk7 CS.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
I'll be tearing the front end down to dial out bump steer after next weekend...

But I have Arteon inner tie rods which match MK7 parts except they're like 20mm longer. If they bottom out inside the outer tie rod, trimming some off the inner (and maybe threading them further?) might be an option. FYI.

I'm not STH, but if I end up being able to dial the bump steer out with the 034 ball joints this is why I might be needing this. (Spacing the steering rack upwards).

Backup plan is Whiteline ball joints + offset caster and camber bushings. They don’t have near as much RC correction, and thus shouldn’t have near as much bump steer.

FWIW someone on Facebook installed the 034 arms and only got 0.6 deg TOTAL camber. Or 0.3 per side. Not sure if installer error or what, but might be worth looking into.

My back of the napkin math says about 10-11mm extension is needed to add a deg of camber.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'll be tearing the front end down to dial out bump steer after next weekend...

But I have Arteon inner tie rods which match MK7 parts except they're like 20mm longer. If they bottom out inside the outer tie rod, trimming some off the inner (and maybe threading them further?) might be an option. FYI.

I'm not STH, but if I end up being able to dial the bump steer out with the 034 ball joints this is why I might be needing this. (Spacing the steering rack upwards).

Backup plan is Whiteline ball joints + offset caster and camber bushings. They don’t have near as much RC correction, and thus shouldn’t have near as much bump steer.

FWIW someone on Facebook installed the 034 arms and only got 0.6 deg TOTAL camber. Or 0.3 per side. Not sure if installer error or what, but might be worth looking into.

My back of the napkin math says about 10-11mm extension is needed to add a deg of camber.
That's why I was thinking TTRS. Or the 034 and their ball joints.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Seems like a pain since you need to get TTRS knuckles as well just to rob the metal insert from it. TTRS ball joint does not have the same taper as the OEM MK7.

https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/audi-tt-8s-control-arms.323948/post-7842991

I'm kind of at the point where I'm close to having some weld-on plates made for OEM LCAs and just re-drilling the ball joint pattern into it moved ~10mm out and ~5mm forward.
I double checked, track hack dude is using TTS lca's.

I think just need to lengthen tie rod.

And isn't what you want to do basically how 034's ball joints work?

Last edited:

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk8 GTI
I double checked, track hack dude is using TTS lca's.

I think just need to lengthen tie rod.
Is that the direction you're leaning? I checked the prices on FCP when I was researching that option and they were at least double the price of the 034 LCA's IIRC. $400 vs $900+ was a pretty easy decision for me, but if I found a pair second hand that would have made me look a lot harder.
If clubsport knuckles weren't so friggin expensive, those would be nice to have too.

On an unrelated note.......... are you going with a wider wheel/tire since you decided to skip GS?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Is that the direction you're leaning? I checked the prices on FCP when I was researching that option and they were at least double the price of the 034 LCA's IIRC. $400 vs $900+ was a pretty easy decision for me, but if I found a pair second hand that would have made me look a lot harder.
If clubsport knuckles weren't so friggin expensive, those would be nice to have too.

On an unrelated note.......... are you going with a wider wheel/tire since you decided to skip GS?
After watching Track Hacks video on LCA's, the TTS arms fit the goal I'm going for. I think paired with 034 ball joints and srreet version of the offset LCA bushings, that's where I want to be. Add a rear sway and fiddle with alignment and I think I'll be happy.

Yeah, I'm going to do a 9" wheel. Just haven't decided 17 or 18. Likely 18, because I want to leave the possibility of a real BBK in the future.

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk8 GTI
No I'm not. The rear wing is a replica of the one available in the US accessories catalog and I'm only doing LCA and offset bushings. I swear, that's it.
I swear, I was shooting for GS.........until I decided that I wanted to listen to my inner 12 year old's voice and slap a Pmax on.

GS.....STH......XSA. Oh well, I'll still have fun and just enjoy my uncompetitive car for what it is.