GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Successfully upgraded manual HVAC to Climatic (NOT Climatronic)

PVKAN

First off: this post is about the semi-automatic, single-zone, CLIMATIC system, NOT the fully automatic, dual-zone CLIMATRONIC system.

I traded my ’07 Rabbit for a ’12 GTI about 7 months ago and quickly realized something was different about the HVAC. Thanks to lurking this forum, I confirmed my suspicion that VW had quietly replaced the Climatic system with a simpler (and of course cheaper) fully manual system. It wasn’t until a recent road trip in the GTI that I realized just how often I have to futz with the temperature knob in this car to maintain a consistent cabin temperature. First I’m too hot, then I’m too cold, then too hot again and so on. In the Rabbit, I was able to leave the temp knob at 72 pretty much year round.

I decided to do some research and find out exactly how the manual system differs from Climatic and if it would be possible/feasible to add the components required for Climatic functionality. I did the retrofit yesterday, and I’m happy to report it was a total success. It took about 4 hours and only cost about $100. The system now maintains the cabin temperature automatically, including switching back and forth between recirculation and fresh air mode as necessary (i.e. if you turn the temperature knob way down from where it had been set previously, the system will switch to recirc mode to cool the cabin down to that temperature more quickly, then switch back to fresh air mode once the temperature is reached).

I took photos during the process and I’ll try to create a DIY in the next week or two, but in the meantime here are some of the details:

-The manual and Climatic systems are largely the same in terms of their basic mechanical components, i.e. they have the same motors controlling the air distribution and temperature mixture.

-I had to add/replace three items:
1) The HVAC control panel. I picked one up on eBay for $50. In addition to having temperature numerals on the dial, the Climatic panel contains an interior temperature sensor and different software, both of which are essential for the system to work properly. Even if the manual panel still had the sensor – which it doesn’t, I checked – I still don’t think it would work properly because of the software differences.
2) Temperature sensor for the driver's side dashboard vent duct. The hole for this sensor is already there; it was just a matter of removing a rubber plug and replacing it with the sensor.
3) Temperature sensor for the driver's side footwell vent. This was the only tricky part of the retrofit. In cars with factory Climatic, this sensor is located on the driver’s side of the air distribution box. I expected to find another rubber plug like the dash vent duct, but despite practically folding myself in half (ouch) and almost crawling inside the dash, I couldn’t find any evidence of one. I concluded that cars with factory Climatic must either have a slightly different air distribution box, or the sensor (or in this case, plug) is located somewhere accessible only by removing large portions of the dash. I didn’t want to go through all of that (maybe because it was 90 degrees in the garage), so I just cut a small hole and mounted the sensor in the footwell duct itself. It works just fine and I confirmed with VAG-COM that the temperature values reported by both sensors are consistent with each other.

-Two plugs and a few yellow wires are required to connect the sensors to empty pin locations in the existing HVAC connector harness.

-I'm not 100% sure, but I don’t think VAG-COM is required for this retrofit. I didn’t have to make any CAN gateway changes, and although I did perform the flap adaptation in VAG-COM, I only did so because I had the tool available to do it. I don’t think flap adaptation is necessary so long as you have the controls on the old and new panels in the exact same positions during removal and installation. When I disconnected the battery at the start of the process, I had the old panel set at the first (lowest) fan speed, the temperature knob at full hot, and the airflow knob 100% to the floor. I made sure the controls on the new Climatic panel were set the exact same way before reconnecting the battery, and it seemed to work perfectly before I even did the flap adaptation.

I think this retrofit was very worthwhile, and it’s great not to be messing with the temperature dial every 5 minutes anymore!

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
Wow this sounds great! I will be waiting to see the DIY but it sounds like something I'd be willing to do in the future. Considering what i've already spent on modifying the car whats $100 lol.

One question I have for you though as I'm unfimiliar with the Climatic vs Manual and how they differ in operation. With Climatic say its 80 degrees in the car and you set the temp dial to 72 degrees. with Climatic you still have the fan speed controls so say that is set on 1. The car will cool itself to 72 and then shut off? Is that correct? Once the temps rise back up above 72 it will kick back on again?

PVKAN

If your car is a 2010 you should already have Climatic. It's easy to tell: if your temperature knob has numbers at the coldest, middle, and warmest points on the scale, you've got Climatic. If your temperature knob has "AC" and "MAX" at the coldest point on the scale, a hash mark at the middle point, and "HI" at the warmest point, you've got the fully manual system.

Both the Climatic and fully manual systems require the user to manually select fan speed and air direction (dash vents, defrost, floor etc). The big difference is that Climatic knows the interior temperature and adjusts the mixture of hot and cold air to maintain the temperature that you've set with the temp knob. The fully manual system is just that, fully manual: it has no idea what the interior temperature is and the temperature of the air coming from the system is an absolute value. Let's say you've been driving on the highway and the sun comes out from behind the clouds and starts warming up the interior of the car. Climatic senses that the interior temperature has increased, and automatically adds more cold air to the mix so that the interior temperature stays the same. With the fully manual system, you have to physically turn the temperature knob down to achieve the same result. If the sun goes back behind the clouds, the reverse occurs.

Wow this sounds great! I will be waiting to see the DIY but it sounds like something I'd be willing to do in the future. Considering what i've already spent on modifying the car whats $100 lol.

One question I have for you though as I'm unfimiliar with the Climatic vs Manual and how they differ in operation. With Climatic say its 80 degrees in the car and you set the temp dial to 72 degrees. with Climatic you still have the fan speed controls so say that is set on 1. The car will cool itself to 72 and then shut off? Is that correct? Once the temps rise back up above 72 it will kick back on again?

CFG9000

Ready to race!
Definitely interested in this. The manual HVAC looks completely out of place in my Autobahn.

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
Interesting, I have the numbers on mine but have never noticed the systems adjusting itself to keep the car at a certain temperature. I guess i don't need to do this mod but my GF is getting a new GTI in a week and might have to run this by her and see if she wants it upgraded.

I notice that VW still states that the 2012 GTI still comes with Climatic?

Interesting I just found a picture on a dealers website of a 2012 autobahn GTI and it looks like this.

Mine looks like this. Except with F instead of C degrees

Last edited:

CFG9000

Ready to race!
The site lies. Mine is fully manual, and I have the top trim. Seems like something that happened during the switch to the RNS-315.

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
I have a 2012 and no climatic.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
This is a really cool post for people that don't have climatic. My 2011 has it, so I'm set. Not all 2011's have it though. They made the change mid-year. Plac has stated that his 2011 does not have it.

I'm really happy I have mine, and if I had one without it, I'd be all over this. :thumbsup:

The only thing climatic controls is the mix of warm/cold air. You control the air speed and where it goes. But, the warm/cold air mix is 90% of the game.

Nice work!

BAM its mitch

Go Kart Champion
I've got Climatic on my 2011, now if I could just get mine to get to temp in a reasonable amount of time.

flyguy27

Ready to race!
This thread is a win. I have been researching this very possibility and is a must do mod for me even if it would cost me $500. $100 just makes me impatient on the DIY.
Tired of fiddling with the temp knob after both my previous cars were dual zone automatic. When I purchased my gti, it said climatic on the window sticker and I even sent an email to VWOA and they said it was the same as 2010, just no numbers. What BS that was. Anyways glad to see that it is easy to do.