GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Suspension Options for an Awesome Daily Driver or Track Car

zap

Ready to race!
Just an FYI for the MK6 GTI guys looking at Bilstein, seems some sites are still selling MK5 shock & strut part numbers for the MK6 GTI, as per Wes at Bilstein, here are the correct B6 and B8 part numbers for the MK6.

Front:
2010-2011 Golf and TDI – Bilstein B8 sport 35-158745
2010-2012 GTI - Bilstein B8 Sport 35-108191
2010-2012 GTI - Bilstein B6 HD 35-108177

Rear:
2010-2011 Golf and TDI – Bilstein B8 Sport 24-158756
2010-2012 GTI - Bilstein B8 Sport 24-178006
2010-2012 GTI - Bilstein B6 HD 24-172936

Hi

JUst want to clarify, which is the correct part no. if intend to get the Mk6 B8 but driving a mk5 gti? I saw junker's post was front 35-158745, rear was 24-158756? (from his link to Neuspeed website)

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
I have the koni yellows along with eibach sportline springs, i hate it other than the look. The springs are to soft even with the struts on the stiffest settings. The 18s i run in the summer rub on hard bumps. Lesson i learned is to stick with a good set of coilovers or stiffer springs.

Also what about Tyrolsport deadset rigid subframe collar kit to this list. This kit works great for both street and track.

With springs that drop that much they have to be stiff or they bottom, no matter how stiff the shock. Coilovers can have same issue.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Golf DG springs:

Scirocco DG springs:

When comparing both the data of Golf and Scirocco springs it seems Scirocco
springs are shorter. You may ask if VWR springs are just Scirocco DG springs.

Just guessing.

live4something

Ready to race!
Anyone try vogtland coilovers? I'm planning on getting them after riding konis.

Pretty much the exact same thing. They are Vogtland springs with Koni yellow inserts. Konis are guess what? Koni yellow inserts with Vogtland springs. The springs rates may be slightly different, although I can't confirm that.

PS. That info came directly from Vogtland. The inserts from mine were even warrantied directly through Koni and they confirmed the same talking on the phone with them

thechromecoyote

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE
Along the lines of creating a spirited daily driver with comfort in mind, I have considered a lot for my suspension.

I started with stock shocks and vogtland race springs.

The ride quality was enjoyable and the drop was almost perfect, but the handling was too sloppy for me. Too disconnected. I come from a Honda that handled like a go-cart, so responsiveness was important to me.

Next I swapped in a set of mk5 bilstein sport struts. The ride quality was bone jarring to say the least, but the handling was almost perfect. With some stiffer bushings, and a solid sway bar set things would be ideal in that department.

So I have collected the following parts and am wondering what the suspension gurus have to say about combining them into a damn decent setup that takes comfort as well as spirited daily driving into consideration.

Owned:

Mk5 Bilstein Sports
Vogtland Race springs
H&R super sport springs
034's 75 durameter strut mounts
Passat aluminum LCAs with poly bushings and Super pro alloy caster kit
Upgraded subframe bolts from ecs

I could, at this time pick up either a set of koni yellows or koni fsd, if either of those would work well in the set up?

Thanks!!

Malibuboats91

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2010 Jetta Wolfsburg
Hey guys does anyone else have any experience with the Koni Yellow and Eibach Sportline combo? I ordered this setup for my 2010 Jetta Wolfsburg but haven't installed it yet. I saw that one guy rubs with his 18's, but I'm running 17's. Any help would be appreciated!

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I am on older guy and have modified cars for years. When it comes to the suspension I always want a certain ride height for the look, I want it to handle like a slot car but I want it to be comfortable enough to drive daily. I have had some hits and misses over the years but I have a combo of things done to the GTI that I am very happy with suspension wise.

I have the ride height I prefer which is very little gap between tire and fender and not so low that driving normally has me scraping and bumping in to things. I have the the slot car like handling, the car transitions through a set of esses very flatly and the car actually rides quite nicely over most normal roads which includes those that are not particularly well cared for. The only bit of annoyance over a stock car is the extra noise, not vibration, transmitted to the cabin when going over the little lane markers or a freeway with expansion joints every 20 ft.

All the parts of my suspension include:
Goodyear F1 tires 225/40/18
Bilstein Sports for the MK6 not the MK5 -softer valving
Eibach Sportline Springs
Whiteline Anti Lift Kit
Whiteline front and rear control arm bushings
Eibach Sway bars
TyrolSport Deadset subrame kit.

Very nice daily driver ride, slot car like performance, my preferred ride height. It is hard to get all three and I think I have. At least for me. Keep in mind, I am older and do not like harsh suspensions so I am picky and I don't like cars too low as it causes too many hassles and damage but I do like the gap to be minimal between tire and body without getting to the "scraping point".