GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tesla loses $50 million in 1st quarter as costs rise

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
OK.. even that said, the rich have only gotten more rich over the years... and many are being driven daily, at least in my area.

Yep and a Model S is dirt cheap to own compared to any other luxo car.

It requires nearly 0 maintenance, no oil changes, no nothing.

They also seem to have low depreciation, mostly thanks to supply constraints I am guessing.

I see no reason as to why tesla can't sell 75-100k of model "s" sedans a year. They are only here in the states and a few select countries once they expand they will continue selling to the rich like hot cakes.

That said... Comparing a Model S to a leaf is pathetic.

The leaf has a 100 mile range vs 160-260 which is a HUGE downside.

The leaf costs MUCH MORE than a comparable small car, the model S is in line with the competitors and is cheaper to own. It is all economics really.

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
OK.. even that said, the rich have only gotten more rich over the years... and many are being driven daily, at least in my area.

True, and the poor get poorer. Wouldn't that limit the market more?

I'm sure they're DDs, but they can't be an only car due to range limitations. Will rich people rent a car when they want to drive somewhere 300 miles away? I doubt it.

While Tesla is (rightly) working to fix this limitation, it still exists for the time being and foreseeable future.

And those that can already did:laugh:

Exactly my point.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
True, and the poor get poorer. Wouldn't that limit the market more?

I'm sure they're DDs, but they can't be an only car due to range limitations. Will rich people rent a car when they want to drive somewhere 300 miles away? I doubt it.

While Tesla is (rightly) working to fix this limitation, it still exists for the time being and foreseeable future.

Exactly my point.

The luxo market has been seeing double digit growth all over the world. So no it wouldn't limit them. The vast majority of ppl won't be limited by the range anyways. Rich ppl fly, they don't drive 300 mile one way in cars loaded with crying children and in laws :laugh:

PetrolHead

The luxo market has been seeing double digit growth all over the world. So no it wouldn't limit them. The vast majority of ppl won't be limited by the range anyways. Rich ppl fly, they don't drive 300 mile one way in cars loaded with crying children and in laws :laugh:

:laugh: True, but that's assuming you have a charging point at the end.

Realistically, you're limited to a 150 mile MAX trip if you want to get back. That wouldn't even get me to the West side of Michigan (where I certainly wouldn't find a charging point), and with no airports, rich people drive there all the time.

True, Tesla's real untapped potential lies in global markets, where infrastructure poses a potentially greater problem than here. It expects to sell 35k units this year. And even if supply wasn't constrained by battery production, I doubt the Model S can reach 75K-100k units by itself. With the crossover? Maybe. With a volume car? No doubt.

Tesla is a stock to go long on. It's going to be a painful year, but it should pay off big if it can stay afloat. It hasn't made a profit according to GAAP yet, BTW. How long can that really continue?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Right it hasn't made a profit yet...

But GM is not supposed to exist according to "gaap" after fucking over millions of investors.

Bender1

Banned
Most people that live in the burbs and are buying a $90,000 car don't need to worry about long trips. They have additional cars.

I just sat and counted 20 cars outside my office window in about 30 seconds. 8 of them were $50,000 plus vehicles.

Maybe not in Michigan, but even limiting yourself to your 15 most affluent suburbs and you have a GREAT market for these vehicles.

PetrolHead

Most people that live in the burbs and are buying a $90,000 car don't need to worry about long trips. They have additional cars.

True.

I just sat and counted 20 cars outside my office window in about 30 seconds. 8 of them were $50,000 plus vehicles.

That's easy. How about $100k cars, doe?

Maybe not in Michigan, but even limiting yourself to your 15 most affluent suburbs and you have a GREAT market for these vehicles.

It's not the potential market I question, it's the actual demand for these cars. I can see how the potential is huge, but I question how many actually want to buy a Model S. As a % of consumers, early adopters are small. Not all rich people are early adopters, and as pointed out earlier in the thread, we're still in the early adopter phase of the electric car market. At the moment, demand outweighs supply, but what'll happen when supply catches up?

Bender1

Banned
That's easy. How about $100k cars, doe?

Just did it again and got two (one of which was a tesla, haha). This is pretty typical on the two "ends" of my commute (one wealthy suburb to another).

It's not the potential market I question, it's the actual demand for these cars. I can see how the potential is huge, but I question how many actually want to buy a Model S. As a % of consumers, early adopters are small. Not all rich people are early adopters, and as pointed out earlier in the thread, we're still in the early adopter phase of the electric car market. At the moment, demand outweighs supply, but what'll happen when supply catches up?

My point is that the early adopter phase for Tesla's will be over in a year. This summer when they become THE THING to have at the country club, it won't be early adopter territory anymore. I don't think they will let supply outstrip demand for some time.

Volt and Leaf are not comparable because the Leaf is a shitty car and the Volt is too expensive to be badged as a Chevy.

Bender1

Banned
There is a fundamental miscalculation of the electric market - the hippies that WANT AN ELECTRIC CAR so bad are not a large enough population to push it mainstream. It has to be positioned aspirationally. Not only is this better for the P&L but it will create demand over time and allow you to get the technology right.

PetrolHead

My point is that the early adopter phase for Tesla's will be over in a year. This summer when they become THE THING to have at the country club, it won't be early adopter territory anymore. I don't think they will let supply outstrip demand for some time.

Volt and Leaf are not comparable because the Leaf is a shitty car and the Volt is too expensive to be badged as a Chevy.

If it's that close to leaving the early adopter phase, I'm impressed. I can see it going gangbusters should the richers decide they really need to keep up with everyone else.

Volt and LEAF aren't really competitors. Volt has a gas engine, and the LEAF is too small/chintzy.

PetrolHead

There is a fundamental miscalculation of the electric market - the hippies that WANT AN ELECTRIC CAR so bad are not a large enough population to push it mainstream. It has to be positioned aspirationally. Not only is this better for the P&L but it will create demand over time and allow you to get the technology right.

Most definitely.

Bender1

Banned
If it's that close to leaving the early adopter phase, I'm impressed. I can see it going gangbusters should the richers decide they really need to keep up with everyone else.

They are the most frequent 100k+ car I see around here. One I see every day (just happen to commute at the same time) and I see at least 2 more beyond that each day (dont know if those are the same or different, but I will pay attention to that a bit more).