GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tesla loses $50 million in 1st quarter as costs rise

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Most frequent or most noticed?

S8s, S7s, 7 series, s-class, etc are all in that price range, but they're much less noticeable.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Yep and a Model S is dirt cheap to own compared to any other luxo car.

It requires nearly 0 maintenance, no oil changes, no nothing.

They also seem to have low depreciation, mostly thanks to supply constraints I am guessing.

I see no reason as to why tesla can't sell 75-100k of model "s" sedans a year. They are only here in the states and a few select countries once they expand they will continue selling to the rich like hot cakes.

That said... Comparing a Model S to a leaf is pathetic.

The leaf has a 100 mile range vs 160-260 which is a HUGE downside.

The leaf costs MUCH MORE than a comparable small car, the model S is in line with the competitors and is cheaper to own. It is all economics really.

:clap: agreed completely

True, and the poor get poorer. Wouldn't that limit the market more?

I'm sure they're DDs, but they can't be an only car due to range limitations. Will rich people rent a car when they want to drive somewhere 300 miles away? I doubt it.

While Tesla is (rightly) working to fix this limitation, it still exists for the time being and foreseeable future.

Exactly my point.

How would it limit it? if there are more rich people / the rich have more money than ever before, how does that limit things for the luxury market with regard to cars, planes, boats, etc? it doesn't.

The luxo market has been seeing double digit growth all over the world. So no it wouldn't limit them. The vast majority of ppl won't be limited by the range anyways. Rich ppl fly, they don't drive 300 mile one way in cars loaded with crying children and in laws :laugh:

BINGO.

:laugh: True, but that's assuming you have a charging point at the end.

Realistically, you're limited to a 150 mile MAX trip if you want to get back. That wouldn't even get me to the West side of Michigan (where I certainly wouldn't find a charging point), and with no airports, rich people drive there all the time.

True, Tesla's real untapped potential lies in global markets, where infrastructure poses a potentially greater problem than here. It expects to sell 35k units this year. And even if supply wasn't constrained by battery production, I doubt the Model S can reach 75K-100k units by itself. With the crossover? Maybe. With a volume car? No doubt.

the charging point thing is being addressed by them via the stations, no?

global markets... maybe the emerging ones.. China, Russia, etc.. again, you need the wealthy class to buy them.

The crossover is supposed to be cheaper, isn't it?

Right it hasn't made a profit yet...

But GM is not supposed to exist according to "gaap" after fucking over millions of investors.

DANG. DEM BANKRUPTCY PROCEEDINGS.

Most people that live in the burbs and are buying a $90,000 car don't need to worry about long trips. They have additional cars.

I just sat and counted 20 cars outside my office window in about 30 seconds. 8 of them were $50,000 plus vehicles.

Maybe not in Michigan, but even limiting yourself to your 15 most affluent suburbs and you have a GREAT market for these vehicles.

this X 10000000

They are the most frequent 100k+ car I see around here. One I see every day (just happen to commute at the same time) and I see at least 2 more beyond that each day (dont know if those are the same or different, but I will pay attention to that a bit more).

I agree with this. I see one to two every day, and my parking lot usually has a few as well.

Most frequent or most noticed?

S8s, S7s, 7 series, s-class, etc are all in that price range, but they're much less noticeable.

I would notice S-class Audi cars and I'd say on a daily basis, I'm seeing more Tesla than i would even an S4 sometimes.

7 series - im sure their numbers are abysmal the last few years.

MB S-class - I do have to say the S550 is around quite a bit here and there, but that car is very well executed for its target audience, there's no way around it.

If anything, the other popular luxo cars I typically see are mostly Audi A6's and Q5's... EVERYWHERE.

HardCandy

Go Kart Champion
Tesla's building a brand new ground up manufacturing facility in the valley, I think stockton (or near by) the work has already started.. that is sure to take up some of the R&D budget.

Having sold cars at various dealerships and manufacturers, the biggest problem I observed over my 4 year sentence was having independently owned dealerships that would engage in guerrilla warfare with competing dealers of the same brand. Nothing kills brand loyalty more than the feeling that you got screwed by dishonest pricing & finance terms or worse yet; Service departments that could not give two poops if they tarnish a brand's reputation because they don't sell em, they just fix em...(cough cough FORD)

Tesla, IMO is just simply ahead of the automotive industry as a whole. lets hope Space X has a similar trickle down effect on the advancement and innovation of technology that NASA has provided us. Im still waiting to get my god damn Goldie Wilson Hover Conversion System installed.

ViR

The Russian
I've seen a decent number of Teslas up here in Canada, where you can use that car half of the year... Probably So Cal is full of them.
All the people in high class and their mother have a Porsche or a Lambo, this is a "cool" new alternative.
When I win a lottery I'm getting R8 and then a Tesla (maybe Maserati GranTurismo too) :)

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
They are building a factory in San Antonio Texas to manufacture the batteries for the cars.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk