GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

THE Formula One Thread

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
More Merc updates because that's all the circus is talking about the last two days.

hans611

Lost
People are calling anti-dive/squat but like you said, I'm leaning to it being mainly an aero advantage...

They are not allowed to angle the "wings" of the suspension wishbones, per the rules... but just having the aerofoils in this arrangement, they will create downwash together, even with all of them at 0 degree angle of attack, per the rules...

1685039680223.png

Notice when the "wishbone" ends and it meets the bodywork, that it sort of "continues" in the bodywork and this time they can change the angle, so they go straight down once the wishbone "enters" the bodywork... they where doing that already but now with the wishbones arranged it that manner, the whole structure will downwash a lot more....

Definitely trying to inject air into the bargeboards/floor.... especially now as they raised the sidepod intakes out of the way...

edit: Its interesting they are still keeping that weird massive structure on top of the sidepods, that may be helping direct air to the rear wing / beam wings...

edit2: doing this is not a new concept, several teams have tried it before (2014-2022) but I think now that the floor is so powerful, probably its becoming the only way and they know it... their minimalist / low drag design was not working.

Last edited:

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
edit: Its interesting they are still keeping that weird massive structure on top of the sidepods, that may be helping direct air to the rear wing / beam wings...
They don't have a choice, it's where the chassis SIS (side-impact structure) is located. They're stuck with that until the W15 chassis. Cost cap strikes again. lol

One more...

hans611

Lost
Alonso was soooo close... crazy tight lap times, tomorrow is gonna be fun...

Seems the Merc has some pace... but they are not gonna be happy about this pic leak, amazing shot of the floor:

1685216035825.png

Someone probably got one of Perez' RB as well....

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
Ya I'm very happy for Alonso. He's showing beyond a shadow of a doubt with the right car he can be champion again. In general I'm enjoying seeing the scrambling and reshuffling of the hierarchy. And we're all waiting to see the pic of Red Bulls floor lol

hans611

Lost
I actually watched most of the race, 20 + second gap is crazy.

Alonso pitted for mediums, when it was absolutely pouring, I was screaming at the TV..... then the following lap got on the intermediates, so he pitted twice, lost like 15s... originally he was 8-9s behind...

Then after that, he was actually gaining on Verstappen for the first few laps in the rain, but it was obvious Verstappen was being cautious, and eventually got in the rhythm and actually pulled away... Even with that mistake, I don't think Alonso had a chance...

What's weird was Aston first pitted Stroll for intermediates, I assumed it was to test the track.... fully expecting for Alonso to come in and get on the intermediates as well, but for some reason they put him on slicks :rolleyes:

Awful call, could have been a lot worse. Apparently, it was Aston's call, not Alonso's... but he has since defended them...

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Alonso pitted for mediums, when it was absolutely pouring, I was screaming at the TV..... then the following lap got on the intermediates, so he pitted twice, lost like 15s... originally he was 8-9s behind...

Then after that, he was actually gaining on Verstappen for the first few laps in the rain, but it was obvious Verstappen was being cautious, and eventually got in the rhythm and actually pulled away... Even with that mistake, I don't think Alonso had a chance...

What's weird was Aston first pitted Stroll for intermediates, I assumed it was to test the track.... fully expecting for Alonso to come in and get on the intermediates as well, but for some reason they put him on slicks :rolleyes:

Awful call, could have been a lot worse. Apparently, it was Aston's call, not Alonso's... but he has since defended them...
I used to watch a ton of motorcycle stuff so seeing somebody like LH 40 seconds back is crazy to me. A 9 second lead would be massive

hans611

Lost
Yeah especially in Monaco, its very easy to loose confidence and start dropping back and once you get some rhythm, its nearly impossible to pass, so its hard to take advantage...

Look at Tsunoda, decent qualy but had no confidence in the race, once the rain dropped, it was like he was driving backwards... Ocon drove really really well, the guy can take the pressure.... He is clearly showing as the superior driver over Gasly...