GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

THE Formula One Thread

torga

Autocross Champion
solid solid race, even Max had to race for a few laps! McLaren felt like a renewed team out there this weekend. Sucks for Alpine, though. I'm surprised Stroll only got a 5s penalty for ending a race.
I hope AMR just had a bad weekend and are not simply being overtaken by the other teams' developments.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
solid solid race, even Max had to race for a few laps! McLaren felt like a renewed team out there this weekend. Sucks for Alpine, though. I'm surprised Stroll only got a 5s penalty for ending a race.
I hope AMR just had a bad weekend and are not simply being overtaken by the other teams' developments.
That accident was 100% Stroll's fault but the 5 second penalty was enough to knock him out of any chance of getting points. I wonder if that accident had happened further up the field if the punishment would have been more severe, I imagine it would.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Ya I was the edge of my seat for almost the whole thing. What a fast flowing track. Lando had a bad restart after the safety car. That or his tires weren't ready. Looking back with hindsight the hard was probably the right tire for them. They're saying their car is hard on tires. They may have cooked softs before the finish. I'm hoping this track/race wasn't an anomaly for McLaren and that these upgrades are actually the real deal. (I just want to see competitive racing) And what happened to Aston?
Turns out race engineers with all the data in the world know more than I do sitting on my couch, who woulda thunk it? :ROFLMAO:

I agree the hard made the most sense, of course we know what happened. Even Norris mentioned during the immediate post race interview that he didn't understand why they went for hard tires. I seriously hope this is a return to form for McLaren. They've always been one of my favorites but they been making it hard to love them lately.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
This picture is so good. The two most recent drivers to get away from the Alpine shit-show, both of their current teams are in front in the points after Alpines double DNF (albeit with help from Stroll) and the Papaya crew's P2/P4.

One of the better races of the year. Tons of action, lots of teams in the mix.

- McLaren really surprisingly fast, clearly their upgrades are working. Lando was impressive, as was Piastri. Ham couldn't keep up with Lando on the straights or the high speed corners.
- Mercs clearly struggling to get on top of this car. Curious to see what they do before/after the summer break.... if anything.
- I suspect that either Aston's development has gone the wrong way or the other teams recent updates have given them the edge.
- Annnnnnd Perez continues to impress RB. /s

Only two more races until the summer break. Hungary could be a decent race, though I fully expect Max to walk away from everyone at Spa.

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
But that car is sooooo bad. Why would Daniel even bother?

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
But that car is sooooo bad. Why would Daniel even bother?
To see how he compares to Yuki. If he clearly out paces him over the remainder of the season, I'd suspect he's next to Max at RB in 2024.

Supposedly his best lap today would've been good enough to be on the front row of the grid this past Sunday.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
I'd say a bad car is better than no car at all.

AND

If I were Max, I'd be sweating a little...just sayin'.
RBR gonna have another Weber Vettel situation on their hands lol.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
I'd say a bad car is better than no car at all.

AND

If I were Max, I'd be sweating a little...just sayin'.
RBR gonna have another Weber Vettel situation on their hands lol.
The only person that is sweating right now is Perez. I'll hold my judgement on how competitive Ric will be until I see what he does with the AT and against Yuki. What's encouraging is, RB/AT clearly wouldn't be going through this all if they didn't like what he's shown them in the sim and today's tire test.

torga

Autocross Champion
The only person that is sweating right now is Perez. I'll hold my judgement on how competitive Ric will be until I see what he does with the AT and against Yuki. What's encouraging is, RB/AT clearly wouldn't be going through this all if they didn't like what he's shown them in the sim and today's tire test.

Agreed. VER was already faster than RIC back when they were teammates and he's only gotten faster. Alas, my dream of a PER VER TSU podium is rapidly, rapidly waning.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Agreed. VER was already faster than RIC back when they were teammates and he's only gotten faster. Alas, my dream of a PER VER TSU podium is rapidly, rapidly waning.
I have a feeling that was debatable initially as they were pretty close, at least certainly closer than any other team mate since. But I don't think Ric would be able to hang with Max over a whole season.

torga

Autocross Champion
I have a feeling that was debatable initially as they were pretty close, at least certainly closer than any other team mate since. But I don't think Ric would be able to hang with Max over a whole season.

Agreed, Ric enjoys life too much. He's out camping, exploring, playing sports, etc. etc. when he doesn't need to be doing anything official. Max goes home from work just to race on his own sim rig. He's a machine. He's how Ivan Drago was presented in Rocky IV hahahaha