GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

THE Formula One Thread

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
Some commentary after the tire test. I guess take this with a grain of salt?
"Sources revealing to F1.com that the Australian (Riccardo) clocked times that would have put him on the front row of the grid for last weekends British Grand Prix"

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Some commentary after the tire test. I guess take this with a grain of salt?
"Sources revealing to F1.com that the Australian (Riccardo) clocked times that would have put him on the front row of the grid for last weekends British Grand Prix"

Chris Medland said "If it means anything, Pirelli testing harder compound tyres that don’t need blankets this week, and today Ricciardo’s best time was a 1:27.415 in the Red Bull. 0.7s off Verstappen’s pole time (on different tyres and in different conditions of course)."

Regardless of his times, he's clearly showed enough for RB to confidently and publicly toss Debris to the curb. Although I think this is a bigger picture move (vetting Checo's replacement).

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
RB took the zero pod concept and turned it 90 degrees. There will obviously be better photos as we get into the weekend. Quite impressive.

IMG_1878.png

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
Another exciting qualifying. Even Q1 was fire with everything mixed up. McLaren starting on the 2nd row. I guess their upgrades were for real. Alfa showing good pace. Aston has either fallen off a bit or everyone else has caught up. Russel starting way back. Hoping this translates to a great race 👍🏼

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I don't watch hardly any racing. Just don't have the attention span anymore.

Happened to turn on Hulu today and the Hungarian GP was on. Kind of boring other than doing a pitstop in 1.9s. that's crazy.

One thing is Verstappen is way ahead of everyone else and has won 7 consecutive races. I figure the Red Bull car is faster, but he's 35s faster than his teammate. I imagine they have identical cars. Maybe a little different setup. F1 drivers are arguably already the best of the best.

What makes him that much quicker where the margins between drivers are very slim?

dtfd

Autocross Champion

Happened to turn on Hulu today and the Hungarian GP was on. Kind of boring other than doing a pitstop in 1.9s. that's crazy.

One thing is Verstappen is way ahead of everyone else and has won 7 consecutive races. I figure the Red Bull car is faster, but he's 35s faster than his teammate. I imagine they have identical cars. Maybe a little different setup. F1 drivers are arguably already the best of the best.

What makes him that much quicker where the margins between drivers are very slim?
The red bull this year is actually faster than everyone else. Top speeds are higher, and the DRS difference is even higher. You can see it when Max and Perez are making the pass on the straight before the corner even happens just from the sheer difference in speed. The car has also been pretty gentle on tires so they're able to drive more aggressively and still stay out longer on a set than everyone else. The pit crew is flawless, the strategy is flawless, and one of the drivers has been flawless.

In terms of why Max is faster than this teammate, people will say part of it is because the car was built around him, but the honest truth is because he's that much better. Having the best car makes it easier to win races, but you still need the talent to win. If you don't believe me look at the difference in performance between Max and Perez in the exact same car. Red bull has the best car by a mile this year but Max is also at the top of his game and is able to get the absolute best out of that car. Perez is too busy crashing in qualifying and having to fight his way up from P15 each race.

That said in Hungry Max had two pitstop where he was so far ahead of everyone else he pitted in P1 and exited the pits STILL IN P1! It's just a race to see who will end up P2 at this point. I'm happy to see McLaren up there.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion

Boring for sure in most regards. Hungary only had 16 overtakes on-track yesterday compared to 65 overtakes last year, but most action worth watching this season has been P2 through P20.

Unfortunately for everyone else on the grid, Max is a generational talent and in the current best car/team on the grid... by a considerable amount. He arguably could use a stronger team mate and I'll die on this hill, even after Perez' drive yesterday. As boring as it's been this season from a WDC/WCC perspective, we're watching Max do what Vettel did 10 years ago, being a top tier driver in a wildly dominant car. It's a bit of a shame that he's setting all these records without any real competition. I mean, at least in 2021 he had to put up a fight for the title, albeit with some help from an incompetent Race Director.

torga

Autocross Champion
I wish I had been an F1 fan back in 2010, cuz that truly looks like it was the last relatively recent nailbiter season where more than 1 or 2 drivers had a chance at the title. Lately it's either been the one driver we already know from the first race will win the whole thing, or a fierce battle between only 2 drivers all the way til the end.

torga

Autocross Champion
But about this race, WOW, that quali session was awesome

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
I wish I had been an F1 fan back in 2010, cuz that truly looks like it was the last relatively recent nailbiter season where more than 1 or 2 drivers had a chance at the title. Lately it's either been the one driver we already know from the first race will win the whole thing, or a fierce battle between only 2 drivers all the way til the end.
2010 for sure, only 16 points between the top 4 drivers over the whole season. Honorable mention for 2012, 7 different winners in the first 7 races, only 3 points between VET and ALO at the end of the season. BUT and HAM were hampered by the poor reliability on the McLaren or they would have been closer as well.

But about this race, WOW, that quali session was awesome
If the new quali tire allocation produces qualifying like this every time, it can stay.