GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

THE Formula One Thread

torga

Autocross Champion
RBR are celebrating 12 straight race wins, breaking the previous record of 11. Unless something truly fucked happens, like Hamilton and Rosberg in Spain 2016 or Ricciardo and Verstappen in Baku 2018, I just don't see a November 2023 in which they aren't celebrating 23 straight wins. If they don't DNF, they'll easily be able to get it done.

Max has a very good chance at beating or at least equalling Vettel's 9-win streak as well.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Considering the reliability issues they had last season and lack thereof so far, I wouldn't be surprised if they gained so much with aero changes that they were able to turn the engine down. Wasn't it a couple of races ago FIA released the "changed equipment" list and RBR was on like Engine #2 for VER while all the other "contenders" were on at least Engine #3?

I also feel like there's been less Lap 1-Turn 1 bowling events this year which definitely helps RBR's chances.

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
There were multiple times during the race where there was only one driver out of the entire field who was within a second of the guy in front of him. Just one! And that doesn't generally make for exciting racing. Just a guess, but as the aerodynamicists continue to figure out how to manipulate their aero it's going to keep getting harder to follow closely.

torga

Autocross Champion
So far, it feels like we've been seeing all the futility of 2016 but with none of the intra-team excitement. Utter dominance by not only a single team, but by a single man.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
as the aerodynamicists continue to figure out how to manipulate their aero it's going to keep getting harder to follow closely.

I was sad last season when we started to see the squared off rear wings and the under-mirror "supports".

I wonder what cars and following would have looked like this year without last year's TD and without the (IIRC) new-in-2022 reg's change to damping.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Interesting bit I found while reading an article where Sam Collins touches on how RB has been able to bring some significant aero related upgrades (new sidepods), while working around the restricted wind tunnel time.

"What Red Bull have done here is quite interesting, because they've read the rule book and that's a really important thing to do. So by changing this side pod duct, what they've also changed is everything that's underneath this side pod. All of the coolers, all of the radiators, all those heat exchangers, everything related to cooling the power unit has been changed. And the regulations are really interesting on this point because when you change those parts, when you develop new radiators, you develop new ducting underneath the bodywork, that does not come out of your wind tunnel or CFD testing allocation. You can spend as long as you like in the wind tunnel developing the radiators, developing the ducting to the radiators, as long as it's related to cooling the power unit."

"They're not allowed to put any force measurement, so they can't measure how much downforce that may be generating, but they can measure the flow through the side pod, they can measure the temperature, they can measure the different air pressures throughout the side pod. So they can learn a huge amount about how these new side pods will be working. And that's what they've been doing, that's how they've been able to introduce this dramatic upgrade to the car."

torga

Autocross Champion
Interesting bit I found while reading an article where Sam Collins touches on how RB has been able to bring some significant aero related upgrades (new sidepods), while working around the restricted wind tunnel time.

"What Red Bull have done here is quite interesting, because they've read the rule book and that's a really important thing to do. So by changing this side pod duct, what they've also changed is everything that's underneath this side pod. All of the coolers, all of the radiators, all those heat exchangers, everything related to cooling the power unit has been changed. And the regulations are really interesting on this point because when you change those parts, when you develop new radiators, you develop new ducting underneath the bodywork, that does not come out of your wind tunnel or CFD testing allocation. You can spend as long as you like in the wind tunnel developing the radiators, developing the ducting to the radiators, as long as it's related to cooling the power unit."

"They're not allowed to put any force measurement, so they can't measure how much downforce that may be generating, but they can measure the flow through the side pod, they can measure the temperature, they can measure the different air pressures throughout the side pod. So they can learn a huge amount about how these new side pods will be working. And that's what they've been doing, that's how they've been able to introduce this dramatic upgrade to the car."

that's the shit i love to hear

oh, you made a rule prohibiting X? we'll see about that

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
So F1 doing what F1 does. This is could pass as a Bernie Ecclestone move. In all seriousness, I hope Vegas is a huge failure.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
So F1 doing what F1 does. This is could pass as a Bernie Ecclestone move. In all seriousness, I hope Vegas is a huge failure.
I hate everything about the Vegas race. My S/O and I considered going there for a hot minute, until we saw what tickets were going for, and then saw what hotel rooms were also going for.

To give you an idea of how bad it was, it was cheaper for us to fly to Japan and get two tickets for the Japanese Grand Prix.

So we did that instead. That's where I'll be in September.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
I hate everything about the Vegas race. My S/O and I considered going there for a hot minute, until we saw what tickets were going for, and then saw what hotel rooms were also going for.

To give you an idea of how bad it was, it was cheaper for us to fly to Japan and get two tickets for the Japanese Grand Prix.

Not remotely surprised it was cheaper. Sounds like a better race to attend anyways.

More upgrades for the Merc.

mwoodski

Autocross Champion

im extremely jealous