GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

THE Formula One Thread

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
So Alpine just sacked Otmar and Permane effective after Spa, then their CEO a week ago. Plus the FIA is now looking into the performance gap between Alpine and the other PU manufacturers, as Alpine pushes for equalization. Add losing Piastri and Alonso last year.... they really are the shit-show on the grid.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Zach Brown

dtfd

Autocross Champion
So Alpine just sacked Otmar and Permane effective after Spa, then their CEO a week ago. Plus the FIA is now looking into the performance gap between Alpine and the other PU manufacturers, as Alpine pushes for equalization. Add losing Piastri and Alonso last year.... they really are the shit-show on the grid.
Ryan Reynolds really cracking that whip.

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
What are the chances that GM / Andretti acquire Alpine? Pipe dream?
It does seem to be the only way for anyone to get in to F1 is to buy a team. To start one from scratch just the "franchise fee" alone is insanity some of the dollar figures I've seen. As for it being a pipe dream who knows? But I do like the idea of Cadillac being in F1.

torga

Autocross Champion
at this point, i kinda just hope Max keeps winning so we can look back and say 2023 was finally the season where one team won every single race. boring? true. historic? also true.

i think i read somewhere that Max can clinch the championship as early as Singapore, all he has to do is win every race up to, and including that one.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
at this point, i kinda just hope Max keeps winning so we can look back and say 2023 was finally the season where one team won every single race. boring? true. historic? also true.

i think i read somewhere that Max can clinch the championship as early as Singapore, all he has to do is win every race up to, and including that one.
I think after Checo's results this weekend, Japan is the earliest for the WDC. Also assuming Perez scores 0 points the next 4 races.

A couple of cool photos I came across.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

vjmvjm

Drag Racing Champion
Costco selling F1 tickets. I guess they're having trouble moving them.

More surprising is parking is $275 for the 3 days. That's crazy.

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a44743775/f1-cota-passes-available-in-the-grocery-aisle/
The parking is high because they are really trying to get people to take shuttles from other locations. They frankly did not build adequate parking on site for everyone, which was a wise move fiscally and environmentally. You can get free parking and a $29 per day shuttle from the Travis County Expo Center. And a lot of hotel packages include transportation.
https://f1destinations.com/getting-...ick up/drop off,Plaza gates on COTA Boulevard.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
The parking is high because they are really trying to get people to take shuttles from other locations. They frankly did not build adequate parking on site for everyone, which was a wise move fiscally and environmentally. You can get free parking and a $29 per day shuttle from the Travis County Expo Center. And a lot of hotel packages include transportation.
https://f1destinations.com/getting-around-us-grand-prix/#:~:text=The pick up/drop off,Plaza gates on COTA Boulevard.
Last time the s/o and I went to Austin we got an air bnb with parking around downtown Austin and just took the shuttle that picks up at the park near Iron works (across from the Fairmont hotel iirc).

Though that was back in 2019 when things were pre-covid, and we got to see Hamilton win his last real title in person. (2020 doesn't count as a season)

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Last time the s/o and I went to Austin we got an air bnb with parking around downtown Austin and just took the shuttle that picks up at the park near Iron works (across from the Fairmont hotel iirc).

Though that was back in 2019 when things were pre-covid, and we got to see Hamilton win his last real title in person. (2020 doesn't count as a season)

If you don't mind, what did that run you?

No doubt things are more expensive now but still interested for future ideas

dtfd

Autocross Champion
If you don't mind, what did that run you?

No doubt things are more expensive now but still interested for future ideas
We paid $300 for each ticket and we were sat up on turn 4 (the s curves), we had a view all the way down to around turn 8, you could see the cars going down the straight, and you can see them coming out of turn 12 (end of the straight) into 13. Not the cheapest tickets, but definitely nowhere near the most expensive available. I remember it was like double the price per ticket around turns 15/16.

I don't know if the rules have changes but there was a hill right at the start of the S curves that was just a grass hill (general admission tickets) that actually had a pretty decent view at probably a fraction of what we paid to be in the stands. I'm sure the Texas bros probably know where the better general admission views are.