GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Official Beer Thread

BlackGTI13

Ready to race!
Speaking of Sam's, tried their new West Coast "style" IPA a few times lately, Rebel. Not entirely bad. Not the best rendition , but for their first shot at this style, it's decent.

I agree, for Sam, this is pretty good. I picture it as the perfect party beer. I'd buy this to put out so my friends drink this and not my beer.

caffeineTX

Ready to race!
I just converted to AG, so I'm using a converted cooler (50qt coleman square cooler). I might eventually get a gatorade cooler and a false bottom setup, I feel it would work much better and I wouldn't stick the sparge at all. I've only had it happen once, but it still sucked regardless.

yeah ive never done anything but all grain brews. i just dont like the idea of brewing with extracts and i like getting the roasted flavor off the grains from the mash in.

Calvinball

Go Kart Champion
Brewing today!

Doing a partial mash, just a little bit of grains. It's been so long, I decided to make it easy on myself. Hops are the focal point in this brew anyways.

I do have a question. It's going to be a very hoppy, fairly strong IPA. I am going to oak it. The question is, should I just do straight oak, or should I do whiskey oak?

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
What are your base grains? What is your primary hop profile you are going for?

Whiskey oak can really add a lot of depth to the flavor but you need a strong base ale to start from so it doesn't get overwhelmed by it.

caffeineTX

Ready to race!
Brewing today!

Doing a partial mash, just a little bit of grains. It's been so long, I decided to make it easy on myself. Hops are the focal point in this brew anyways.

I do have a question. It's going to be a very hoppy, fairly strong IPA. I am going to oak it. The question is, should I just do straight oak, or should I do whiskey oak?

just oak it in secondary and then when you put it in your bottling bucket add whiskey to taste.

you should be able to get oak cubes at any brew supply store.

also this all depends on the beer and what flavor profile you are going for. adding whiskey to an already strong beer might bring out a booziness that you may or may not like in the finished product so just doing cubes first will ensure that it doesn't get to that point. I think I only added half a cup of bourbon into my 10 gallon batch at a time when I made my bourbon barrel porter until I found the taste I wanted. We ended up using 3/4ths of a bottle so the bourbon came out but the beer didnt taste boozy.

Last edited:

Calvinball

Go Kart Champion
What are your base grains? What is your primary hop profile you are going for?

Whiskey oak can really add a lot of depth to the flavor but you need a strong base ale to start from so it doesn't get overwhelmed by it.

Mostly light dme and some pale to comprise 11 lbs of extract.. 1.5 lbs of specialties were equal parts 40L, cara-munich, and rye. Hopsh are chinook for bittering and nugget for aroma.

just oak it in secondary and then when you put it in your bottling bucket add whiskey to taste.

you should be able to get oak cubes at any brew supply store.

I have the oak. I'm just debating whether I was to add whiskey to the flavors or just stick with straight up oak.

punchagoat

Banned
Mostly light dme and some pale to comprise 11 lbs of extract.. 1.5 lbs of specialties were equal parts 40L, cara-munich, and rye. Hopsh are chinook for bittering and nugget for aroma.

I have the oak. I'm just debating whether I was to add whiskey to the flavors or just stick with straight up oak.

I vote for oak only. The whiskey might not work with such a hop forward beer. Ever had southern tier's Oaked Unearthly IPA? It's one of my favorite beers.

Calvinball

Go Kart Champion
I vote for oak only. The whiskey might not work with such a hop forward beer. Ever had southern tier's Oaked Unearthly IPA? It's one of my favorite beers.

I bastardized a clone recipe for that for this beer haha.

I think I'm leaning towards just oak as well. I think the whiskey might just have there be too much going on.

Baldilocks73

Go Kart Champion
Today's batch...

uploadfromtaptalk1391972892176.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1391972903194.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1391972914918.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1391972924807.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1391972938519.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1391972951781.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1391972976434.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1391972993423.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S4