GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Official K04 Club (Experiences and Troubleshooting)

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
Bruh the OP isn't on this forum anymore lol this thread was started yeeears ago.

He even made a huge goodbye post in a separate thread. If you're looking for OEM reliability and low end tq, the K04 is your answer. If you're okay with ~340whp then K04 is your answer. If you want a simple bolt on solution for more power past stage2, the K04 is your answer.

What goals did you have in mind?

Can you elaborate on getting to 340whp? I'm not questioning it can or can't be done, I just want to know as I recently went K04 and thought 300whp was about it. Thanks!

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
I just talked to APR, and this is a know issue. The only solution is to have no lift shift. Unfortunately it's not readily available with the 3.1 software update. So they took my box code and are making it available to me. Should be a couple of weeks and I will see if it solves the issue. Sucks I was told they can't bypass the power cut, I can only assume it's to protect the company from people who can't drive their cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming you were responding to me and my 3rd-4th gear shifts that result in no power/boost. I'm on a Unitronic Stage 2+ tune. I'm awaiting what they can do for me as well. I figured with as many K04 installs we have on this forum, that there would be threads all over the place about this issue.

Did APR tell you why it's happening? This is kinda a deal breaker for me. How do people track these cars with this issue? Or get the best quarter-mile time? I mean, I'd loose at least a few seconds each shift from 3rd-4th.

flakomk6

Ready to race!
Can you elaborate on getting to 340whp? I'm not questioning it can or can't be done, I just want to know as I recently went K04 and thought 300whp was about it. Thanks!

With 93 gas/ upgraded turbo and FMI wouldn't it be possible to get around there?

Jlove8128

Ready to race!
Assuming you were responding to me and my 3rd-4th gear shifts that result in no power/boost. I'm on a Unitronic Stage 2+ tune. I'm awaiting what they can do for me as well. I figured with as many K04 installs we have on this forum, that there would be threads all over the place about this issue.

Did APR tell you why it's happening? This is kinda a deal breaker for me. How do people track these cars with this issue? Or get the best quarter-mile time? I mean, I'd loose at least a few seconds each shift from 3rd-4th.

I was responding to SoWal from the prior page.

Every Tune has the potential to have this issue not just APR. It is a fail safe to stop the ability to money shift. I am not positive they can't stop the ECU from doing this but I know they are not trying. Liability is a bitch and us Americans sue anytime we can.

They told me that the ecu will cut the power depending on how much boost you have built up when you change gears. Not sure but I assume I didn't have the issue at first because I was still learning the power band? Do you guys all have short shifters? I may go back to stock and see if that split second stops it from happening.

As far as getting the best quarter mile or tracking the car I have no clue. Except for no lift shift is the best a six speed will ever get, holds boost, cuts down on time, and keeps you in the best power range.

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
I was responding to SoWal from the prior page.

Every Tune has the potential to have this issue not just APR. It is a fail safe to stop the ability to money shift. I am not positive they can't stop the ECU from doing this but I know they are not trying. Liability is a bitch and us Americans sue anytime we can.

They told me that the ecu will cut the power depending on how much boost you have built up when you change gears. Not sure but I assume I didn't have the issue at first because I was still learning the power band? Do you guys all have short shifters? I may go back to stock and see if that split second stops it from happening.

As far as getting the best quarter mile or tracking the car I have no clue. Except for no lift shift is the best a six speed will ever get, holds boost, cuts down on time, and keeps you in the best power range.

Thanks for the explanation from APR. I'm sure Unitronic will tell me the same thing. Sounds like I will be adding NLS to my Stage2+ tune and reflashing very soon! Please keep us posted on what they end doing for you or what you decide to do.

I actually do not have a short-shifter kit installed on mine, but just recently ordered the S3 and aluminum bushings. I guess with NLS, it wont matter anyway.

TSI_Guy

Go Kart Champion
Straight up posted it in the wrong thread Lmaoo [emoji23][emoji23] but Since you responded , the reason why I ask is because all my friends have speeds 3. And they all come with K04 from factory and the turbos suck. They upgrade to gt25r-30r so my self I was looking into something else that's not a k04. I wanted to know why a lot of people go the k04 route . Number wise I want to be around the 350 . That would be the number

Honestly if you want 350whp and you want to play with your buddies MS3's you're going to want a bigger turbo. A K04 will keep up with bolt on MS3's but if they actually upgrade their turbo, then you're stuck.

People go the K04 route because it's easy and proven. Not everyone is looking for massive power. K04 is a really good DD and it is a very enjoyable drive, that's for sure. It's a blast on the street because of the great power/tq curve that the K04 makes.

You're going to need either race gas or WMI to get close or above the 340whp mark. Dynos will differ and people will say that a K04 car on 93 will make 330-340whp, but the norm is anywhere from 310-330whp for a 93 oct car. Unless there has been some changes to the K04 files tuners are offering.

On another note, the important part is deciding what you want out of the car. Once you go K04, there's not much more headroom to make power. Your only real options are WMI or race gas. If I had to do my GTI modding again, I would skip K04 and just get a real turbo. Even if I didn't want much power I would still go with a real turbo vs a stock frame turbo. Opinions will differ though and a K04 upgrade is by no means a bad thing, it's a really fun car with K04.

Last edited:

flakomk6

Ready to race!
Honestly if you want 350whp and you want to play with your buddies MS3's you're going to want a bigger turbo.

People go the K04 route because it's easy and proven. Not everyone is looking for massive power. K04 is a really good DD and it is a very enjoyable drive, that's for sure. It's a blast on the street because of the great power/tq curve that the K04 makes.

Gotcha , I mean they all make around 350-380 each so I'll be able to keep up with them some how haha

Edit : they make 216hp -227tq stock to the wheels . When they upgrade and do bolt ons with out building the block they can take around 25-26 psi . In which pushes them to around 350-370 is am not mistaken . They are cows imo . For them To put the power down it's a bitch , no lsd so torque steer is a bitch , I know I'll be able to keep up if a upgrade my turbo and I am able to get around 300-320 to the wheels on 93.

Last edited:

Jlove8128

Ready to race!
Thanks for the explanation from APR. I'm sure Unitronic will tell me the same thing. Sounds like I will be adding NLS to my Stage2+ tune and reflashing very soon! Please keep us posted on what they end doing for you or what you decide to do.

I actually do not have a short-shifter kit installed on mine, but just recently ordered the S3 and aluminum bushings. I guess with NLS, it wont matter anyway.

I have the s3 SS on my car now. On a side note APR just called me and already uploaded the file. So I will flash it again soon and see how it goes.

TSI_Guy

Go Kart Champion
Gotcha , I mean they all make around 350-380 each so I'll be able to keep up with them some how haha

Edit : they make 216hp -227tq stock to the wheels . When they upgrade and do bolt ons with out building the block they can take around 25-26 psi . In which pushes them to around 350-370 is am not mistaken . They are cows imo . To put the power it's a bitch , no lsd so torque steer is a bitch , I know I'll be able to keep up if a upgrade my turbo and I am able to get around 300-320 to the wheels on 93.

Well we don't have LSD either, traction will be an issue for you just like it is for them. Like I said, you will definitely keep up/beat their bolt on MS3's with a K04, but if they upgrade their turbo you will be stuck. Which is fine, there's always a car that's faster....always haha

If you're okay with 300-320whp, K04 is all you need and 93oct.

I'll have a Revo K04 off my car and for sale soon ;)

flakomk6

Ready to race!
Well we don't have LSD either, traction will be an issue for you just like it is for them. Like I said, you will definitely keep up/beat their bolt on MS3's with a K04, but if they upgrade their turbo you will be stuck. Which is fine, there's always a car that's faster....always haha

If you're okay with 300-320whp, K04 is all you need and 93oct.

I'll have a Revo K04 off my car and for sale soon ;)

But we have the option to get an LSD right ? I know they don't have the option , or i have yet to see a speed 3 with one . But yes that all I want , 300-320 . I might jump on the k04 but I am more interested on the franken t23t. I'll keep reading on both and see what other turbos are out there and the tuning capabilities around my area (south Florida) lol

TSI_Guy

Go Kart Champion
But we have the option to get an LSD right ? I know they don't have the option , or i have yet to see a speed 3 with one . But yes that all I want , 300-320 . I might jump on the k04 but I am more interested on the franken t23t. I'll keep reading on both and see what other turbos are out there and the tuning capabilities around my area (south Florida) lol

Yeah you can buy a LSD for your car, don't know if it's available for the MS3.

I understand your interest in the F23T, makes good power. If you're really okay with 300-320whp just go the K04 route, it's proven and reliable. I'm not saying that F23T is bad, just saying that if your goal is achievable with something that is tried and true, why risk using the F23T? Now if you want a bit more, then yeah I guess you can look into the F23T.

I'm in SoFLa too btw :w00t: as far as tuning, I don't know anyone personally that tunes TSI's. When I was going to go BT I started looking and got a lead to someone that had tuned a bunch of FSI's and even some TSI's, but I never went that route. Ended up buying a whole nother car haha

flakomk6

Ready to race!
Yeah you can buy a LSD for your car, don't know if it's available for the MS3.

I understand your interest in the F23T, makes good power. If you're really okay with 300-320whp just go the K04 route, it's proven and reliable. I'm not saying that F23T is bad, just saying that if your goal is achievable with something that is tried and true, why risk using the F23T? Now if you want a bit more, then yeah I guess you can look into the F23T.

I'm in SoFLa too btw :w00t: as far as tuning, I don't know anyone personally that tunes TSI's. When I was going to go BT I started looking and got a lead to someone that had tuned a bunch of FSI's and even some TSI's, but I never went that route. Ended up buying a whole nother car haha

Oh shit , SoFla we in the house hahah ,

Well the only reason why is because I am traumatized by k04 lol I have helped replace 3 already . But I just want to try the t23t give it a chance , I know that turbo can put out big numbers but you never know if I wanna go bigger later on I can you boost that baby up :D

Where are you by? I down south , by south beach literally haha .

TSI_Guy

Go Kart Champion
Oh shit , SoFla we in the house hahah ,

Well the only reason why is because I am traumatized by k04 lol I have helped replace 3 already . But I just want to try the t23t give it a chance , I know that turbo can put out big numbers but you never know if I wanna go bigger later on I can you boost that baby up :D

Where are you by? I down south , by south beach literally haha .

Don't be scared by your MS3 frenzzzz, their K04's and our K04's are not the same. There are K04 GTIs with well over 100k miles still running strong. You're right about having headroom with the F23T, in that sense, yeah I guess it's better than a K04. Comes down to tuning though. Looks like more tuning options are coming up too, so that's good.

I live in Miami near Hialeah, I'm like 20 mins away from you.

flakomk6

Ready to race!
Don't be scared by your MS3 frenzzzz, their K04's and our K04's are not the same. There are K04 GTIs with well over 100k miles still running strong. You're right about having headroom with the F23T, in that sense, yeah I guess it's better than a K04. Comes down to tuning though. Looks like more tuning options are coming up too, so that's good.

I live in Miami near Hialeah, I'm like 20 mins away from you.

yea true true, just trying to play it safe hah but like you said , more tuning capability coming soon for the t23 and i have more head room for the future too.

wow man , all of my friend with their speed's live in Hialeah. my gf too :lol: probably ill see you at one of the car meets :thumbup:

TSI_Guy

Go Kart Champion
yea true true, just trying to play it safe hah but like you said , more tuning capability coming soon for the t23 and i have more head room for the future too.

wow man , all of my friend with their speed's live in Hialeah. my gf too :lol: probably ill see you at one of the car meets :thumbup:

Yeah for sure dude. I go out on Wednesdays sometimes to Okee and the usual spots and all that. Last Wednesday I was parked near a black GTI at the home depot by Okee. If you see a blue C5 Z06, that's my car, say hi :)