GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Official Photography Thread!

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
Do you guys always take your DSLR with you everywhere?

dragon69185

Go Kart Champion
09vdubgti said:
(which reminds me i still have to edit those)

Well first and foremost, when you're shooting portraitures the most important thing is to have the focus set on the eyes. As long as the eyes are nicely defined, I think its a solid step onto getting a nice portrait. One of the reasons im not that big into portraits or I guess I should say studio style portraits like the one i posted is just because its very expensive. We used a profoto strobe for this one, a beauty dish and a light meter. The background here is pure white but the F stop is really closed F16 iirc, so thats whats giving those nice, soft shadows.

Pat - 2nd shot, its underexposed, the BnW one is dope though.

One of the main reasons I hate studio portrait photography, the additional cost added on for all the strobes and equipment. It is fun to do, but just damned expensive, even renting the equipment.

Thanks for the feedback Brian. :thumbsup:

09vdubgti said:
I have the Sigma 10-20...soooo worth the money.

So i finally picked up the 50mm f1.8 i always put it off, havent played with it much yet.

Right now im not sure why but im very into very dark kinda grudge(y) photos..

I saw we had one of the 10-20mm Sigma for Nikon, but I haven't found myself that apt to purchase it for some reason. I played with it, but wasn't very happy with it. ::shrug::

littleazn248 said:
Do you guys always take your DSLR with you everywhere?

My D-SLR is always in the trunk of my car with tripod. Just in case I get bored or need to shoot randomly.

09vdubgti

Banned
I love my sigma, throw a cpl on it and it does wonders for landscapes.

Nikon has that badass wide angle prime lens...and it's uber cheap too.

dragon69185

Go Kart Champion
I love my sigma, throw a cpl on it and it does wonders for landscapes.

Nikon has that badass wide angle prime lens...and it's uber cheap too.

I am currently using my 24-120mm F3.5-5.6 to do landscapes and such. Seems to work great for that aspect, as well as all my general shooting and car photography. I still have my 35mm F1.8 prime lens for DX sensors (which works on the D600 FX sensor body) which I still love to use for general portraits, random shots with a great amount of depth, and just as a general good overall lens.

dragon69185

Go Kart Champion
Random shots from yesterday:

09vdubgti

Banned
Like I don't necessarily need a sigma for the landscapes because I could always stitch them on Photoshop. But with the super wide angle, it gives you that slight distortion that has like a curvature..it just helps the clouds pop

dragon69185

Go Kart Champion
Like I don't necessarily need a sigma for the landscapes because I could always stitch them on Photoshop. But with the super wide angle, it gives you that slight distortion that has like a curvature..it just helps the clouds pop

Gotcha. I am horrible still with photoshop (basic information on how to use it still), so I have to make sure to get a good photo so there is little post process for this Asian.

Bender1

Banned
(which reminds me i still have to edit those)

Well first and foremost, when you're shooting portraitures the most important thing is to have the focus set on the eyes. As long as the eyes are nicely defined, I think its a solid step onto getting a nice portrait. One of the reasons im not that big into portraits or I guess I should say studio style portraits like the one i posted is just because its very expensive. We used a profoto strobe for this one, a beauty dish and a light meter. The background here is pure white but the F stop is really closed F16 iirc, so thats whats giving those nice, soft shadows.

Pat - 2nd shot, its underexposed, the BnW one is dope though.

Thanks! I am doing some shots for my sister-in-law this weekend and this should be very helpful. :thumbsup:

09vdubgti

Banned
yea just play around with lighting, and you know what else is very useful. A white piece of poster paper, it has so many uses. You can use it to bounce off lights from the flash or natural lighting.

Also I would switch the focus to One-Shot mode.

and use Partial metering...but these are all variable depending on where and what kind of portraits you're taking.

Last edited:

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Not a fan of all the uniform gray in the image. I would maybe try some dodging and burning to bring the focus to the plaque or the bow.

dragon69185

Go Kart Champion
Good photo glory from a technical point of view. But, as Brian has said about my old photos, there is just no "pop" to it. I know the plaque and bow is to convey an emotional response, but the focus is not on just the plaque and/or bow, and the photo looks pretty flat overall. Try playing with depth of field a bit with your shots (even with the stock lens, you can do get a bit of that), especially for those type of shots. :thumbsup:

dragon69185

Go Kart Champion
Did I mention how much I love my new camera and circular polarizer :D