GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Ultimate "Driver's" Road Trip

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Smh there a lot of OEM units haha, there is a 510 series something as well? Someone will know better than me. I've got an OEM+ style headunit from Kenwood. More info on my thread if you want to read about it. Your noise could be a shock or a shock mount as well.
RNS510, which i am running for now. looking into aftermarket options to upgrade in the mk6, and the tiguan will get the rns510 when im done.

disragard. i am unaware of anything beside the RCD330+ that has AA

KollinWithaK

Autocross Champion
Ah well there you go.

Oh funny, zef is the guy that bought my engine. He drive up from CT (near where I grew up, actually) and we loaded it in the back of his SUV 😂
I'll probably pick up an rcd330g to try out at some point.

Also funny is on the first page you talk about that turbo flutter you were having in low boost high gear, and I was talking about that exact problem a few days ago. I'm pulling my BOV/DV to check the o-rings when I'm home anyway, hopefully that fixes that problem.

Also not super concerned if it's my shock. I already have that exact wheel and suspension assembly pulled off my parts car, but I may go ahead and upgrade them, too

Yep cool guy. Love his car. Apparently that flutter is normal? But regardless I swapped out to an OEM D revision style diverter valve and am happier with that than what was on the car before I got it.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Day 25: just keep driving
So I was really excited to drive through Glacier National Park, which had perfectly reopened yesterday. However, what hadn't reopened was the main road that cuts their the whole of the park, "Going to the Sun Road." So no driving through it, only hiking, and I'm not cutting out time to do that. Begrudgingly, I get back on the road.
The day is mostly high-speed cruise control. In fact it's almost exclusively that. I got a good pic or two, though.
IMG_20200609_130530.jpg
IMG_20200609_210425.jpg

I also stopped off in the only town in the US with my gf's name, Angela
Snapchat-1581617168.jpg

That was pretty sweet and cute, and she thought so too

Traveled 700 miles
Screenshot_20200611-083327.png

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Day 26: fuck you wind
Driving, more driving. Started in Montana. Picked up an oil filter from a VW dealership on the way.
Changed my oil filter in an AutoZone parking lot, like usual. Except it's extremely windy, and me, me jack, my wheel, everything in a 6ft cone, and most importantly my jeans get sprayed with fucking oil. But I finish the stupid oil change and get back on the road. I forgot to save a sample like I did last time, but it was black, blacker than the last one.
Driving driving driving. Never enough driving.
IMG_20200610_204845_MP.jpg

Made 715 miles. I was disappointed when it wasn't much more than yesterday, but then I realized I also changed my oil, and I was cruising about 25 mph lower than yesterday.
Screenshot_20200611-084846.png

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Just bombing it back home it seems like huh
Yeah pretty much. There wasn't gonna be much on this leg until Ohio, where there's a couple roads I wanted to drive. But I'm already late returning to work and honestly 4 weeks on the road seems to be my limit for boredom. I'm picking up some tie rods in NY tomorrow, but other than that and the Tunnel of Trees today, probably no other destinations

Phur

Autocross Champion
You’ve been to Watkins Glen before... right?

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Heard of it, wouldn't have been able to tell you what or where it was until I just looked it up. Looks beautiful, but for the most part I'm keeping this trip outside of the Northeast; Watkins Glen looks like it'd be a nice extended-weekend trip with my girlfriend. Plus her family is upstate, so we could make a week's vacation of it.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Heard of it, wouldn't have been able to tell you what or where it was until I just looked it up. Looks beautiful, but for the most part I'm keeping this trip outside of the Northeast; Watkins Glen looks like it'd be a nice extended-weekend trip with my girlfriend. Plus her family is upstate, so we could make a week's vacation of it.
Honestly, that’s what I was thinking. You are close enough that you could do that some other time for sure. I know that you really want to get home now. Also, the place is magical. It would be nice to visit with your girl.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Day 27: literal nightmare

Gonna keep this part short
Started out the day headed toward the Tunnel of Trees. It wasn't as good as I was expecting, though I might've just been ready to go home. Still very pretty, and I imagine the fall would make it stunning.
IMG_20200611_161625.jpg
Snapchat-388230793.jpg

Not much else until I neared the Canadian border. Now you may recognize that as a problem with the ongoing pandemic. So did I. So you can imagine how frustrating it was too find out that, even though I explicitly picked a different route, Google Maps decided to route me through Canada. This put me 2 hours out of my way. The route was 3 hours faster than the route I needed to take, therefore for the next 3 hours it insisted on notifying me very frequently that there was a faster route, sometimes every 5 minutes.
Now, you may think that's super inconvenient and annoying, and it is. Except it's not just a notification. Google Maps actively reroutes you against your will, and requires your input to not reroute you. This means that I would need to tell it not to reroute me, sometimes every couple minutes.
You would think that, as having a passport isn't a given, there would be some option to force it to avoid crossing country borders. You would think there's an option to force a route, in case there's a pre-planned trip.
But that's not even the beginning of it.
My new route dropped me on the interstate going straight through Detroit, home of roads that look like an acne-prone preteen's face. Heavy construction restricted the interstate to a single, pock-marked lane. Now, my gas light went on just before Detroit, and I wanted to get some before I was out of the city and didn't know when my next fill-up would come.
Unfortunately, when I got off the exit, the street light was out. Didn't think anything of it until I got to the gas station and all the lights are out. Pull up and there's no power anywhere, in fact. I get back in the interstate, much to the protest of my GPS, still redirecting me back to Canada.
Next exit, same thing. Except now, the turn arounds are on opposite sides of the roads, emergency vehicles are flying around trying to fix the power outage, and now I've missed the "No thanks" button and hit the "accept new destination" button and it just pushed me over the edge into full meltdown mode.
Anyway, I got gas, got some Burger King, and went to sleep. Fucking awful.
Screenshot_20200613-090121.png

Last edited: