GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The ULTIMATE Workout Thread

Cwykle99

Ready to race!
That tends to be the case with preworkout supps usually. I usually go through a tub of it and then go 3-4 weeks without it so as to drop the tolerance, during this time I'll concentrate more on agility training and cardio with light weight/high rep lifting.

jmlivid

Go Kart Champion
Hey jmlivid. Good stuff. I do traditional bodybuilding style with olympic lifts as the core. I agree it is the best way to keep strong and fit. There is a crossfit gym that I am friends with some of the guys there. Some strong guys. I got my deadlift up to 3x bodyweight and entered my first deadlift event recently. Not a lot of guys in my age class (40-49). But I won and got a record.
Keeps me motivated.

3x body weight is savage!! Congrats on the record. I'm currently stuck at 460lbs dead at 180 body weight. I really want 500lbs. If I decided to go all in on the power lifting I know I could do it but I do like my crossfit as well. So kind of a trade off. I have entered oly comps and crossfit comps around my city and have done pretty well....36 years old now....feeling like 100 today :(

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
Some Wods at my gym I take twice the time to do vs someone half as strong and 1/4 the stamina I have but I do it full RX weights (except things that risk reinjuring my shoulder) and make sure every rep counts. I'd much rather still be going 10 minutes after everyone else then be done sooner and halfassed my work out.

I'm with you on proper form over a faster time or a cheat rep, it's just not worth it to me. I don't belong to a CF gym, so I do most of my workouts on my own during the week and have a group I workout with on some weekends. All of my WODs are slower than when I started 6 months ago because I've been so focused the correct form. For example, I prefer doing a slower more upright airsquat and strict pull-up, so it definitely slows down my Angie time but makes me better prepared for Fran.

One thing that surprises me, having gone through a couple of rounds of P90X I thought I had well-conditioned core until I started doing Crossfit, especially after my 1st Annie workout (50-40-30-20-10 double-unders and sit-ups). Since I've been doing so many BW metcons lately, I want to add some yoga and heavier lifting for a more balanced routine.

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
I saw that the other day, looks good. Would make working out while traveling or using gym equipment that much easier. Pricey for an app but cheaper than buying the DVDs.

I've been using the WOD app to log times and workouts, but it's more focused on Crossfit movements. The tabata timer and rep counter is a nice feature.

Another decent app worth checking out is the Men's Health 1000 workouts app. If you buy it, just know it is buggy albeit useful. Too bad there haven't been any substantial improvements to it.

psode27

Passed Driver's Ed
Good to hear the talk about the Jack3d stuff! i've been taking it pre workout for about 3 weeks now and I like the energy, and i like the feeling it gives me, however i get a much better/harder pump with NOxplode. I have some left from a few months ago I think I'm gonna go back to. Every time I take a few months off I go to bodybuilding.com and fill up a shopping cart with whatever crap they say is the most popular (I research as well, but I tend to get suckered into whatever is the new hottness at the time). I need to get more cardio in my diet ASAP, I just HATE IT! in every sport i've ever been involved with, running was always a punishment..... :) This is the thread I needed to read today!

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
however i get a much better/harder pump with NOxplode.

Good!! Now imagine that same hard pump feeeling, without having to guzzle down 1/2lb of powder and not feeling like crap afterwards. Thats the effect Assault will give. Nevertheless, both powders are good and have the same effects.

The more I read about the ingredients in Jack3d the more I'm satisfied with getting off of it. I took it, literally, for almost 2 years. I'm worried that the 1,3 Dimethamylamine might effect me long term, but at least I got off it.

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
I got in some basic Muay Thai kick boxing this weekend. Not so much a traditional gym workout but it is fitness related. I did pretty well for my first time. We took turns between striking/kicking and holding pads for sparring.

Didn't gas out while we were training but I'm really starting to feel it now. Feet are bruised and my hands and forearms are all ripped up, I literally feel like I have no grip strength haha. I really enjoyed it and would definitely do it again.

balius

Go Kart Champion
Good!! Now imagine that same hard pump feeeling, without having to guzzle down 1/2lb of powder and not feeling like crap afterwards. Thats the effect Assault will give. Nevertheless, both powders are good and have the same effects.

The more I read about the ingredients in Jack3d the more I'm satisfied with getting off of it. I took it, literally, for almost 2 years. I'm worried that the 1,3 Dimethamylamine might effect me long term, but at least I got off it.

Ingredients like that and the crazy amount of caffeine have pushed me away from most pre-workout supps. I've gone back to the basics taking amino acid pills, plain glutamine powder, creatine, and l-arginine.. It's not as convenient as just scooping out a premade mix, but at least I know exactly what, and how much, I'm taking.. Not some "proprietary blend" that could be almost anything

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Ingredients like that and the crazy amount of caffeine have pushed me away from most pre-workout supps. I've gone back to the basics taking amino acid pills, plain glutamine powder, creatine, and l-arginine.. It's not as convenient as just scooping out a premade mix, but at least I know exactly what, and how much, I'm taking.. Not some "proprietary blend" that could be almost anything

I've wanted to go that route to eventually ween myself off the caffeine, but its been tough. I think will all of the mixes together it can cost almost 3-4 times the amount of a regular bottle supplement.

balius

Go Kart Champion
It can get a little bit more expensive, but that's also relative to what pre-workout you take. My last order for all that stuff from bodybuilding.com was $45 for 233 servings of amino acids, $27 for 120 servings of glutamine, $38 for 400 servings of creatine, and $15 for 125 servings of l-arginine.. So price per serving total is $0.64... Generally that's gonna be cheaper than most pre packaged supps.

<3GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I know it's a little off topic but it's still related to working out. What kind of food are you guys eating I need some ideas on cheap high protein foods

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I wouldnt always focus on high protein foods. Focus on equally balanced.
I eat the following ALL the time:
Oats
Whole grain Rice (All 8 essential amino acids)
Corn and rice Noodles
SUSHI
Lots of chicken
Fish (Salmon and Tilapia especially)
Shrimp and crab
Salads
Peanuts like a mofo
Natural Peanut butter
Almond Milk
Tofu (Yep, and I love it) Its an excellent substitute for cream cheese in some recipes
Natural Cheese
Eggs
Turkey Bacon
NO RED MEAT
NO PORK
Ground Turkey
Ground Chicken
Canned Chicken
Tuna
No fruit juices
Water
Occasional Aloe Vera Juice
Dark Chocolate
Fresh Veggies and fruit of course, try to stay away from canned
MHP Up Your Mass Protein
Beans, lots and lots of beans

Thats just a basic list.

jmlivid

Go Kart Champion
^^^Sounds like we order from the same menu. eating as clean as possible and keeping fit makes life so much easier.:thumbsup: