GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

thinking about buying a $1000 car as my daily driver. what do you think?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Dude here is the deal. Life is short, if you can afford to drive the GTI daily do it. Why waste of life in a $1000 shitbox.

This car is NOT expensive enough not to be a daily driver.

FWIW my golf is my 2nd car.

djax1

Ready to race!
then you drive your $1000 shit box every day... and wish you were in your new car.. then you think to yourself why the fuck did i spend all that money just to be too scared to drive it?

Orrrr....you drive the shitbox on days you go to the city thinking "omg, i cannot wait to drive my GTI".

And when you do, tears start to well up in yours eyes and you love it that much more :)

djax1

Ready to race!
Dude here is the deal. Life is short, if you can afford to drive the GTI daily do it. Why waste of life in a $1000 shitbox.

This car is NOT expensive enough not to be a daily driver.

FWIW my golf is my 2nd car.

True, BUT, I live in S.E. Pennsylvania, aka location with one of the worst roads EVAR in the United States. When winter hits, you can just watch the road crumble and deteriorate in front of you.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
True, BUT, I live in S.E. Pennsylvania, aka location with one of the worst roads EVAR in the United States. When winter hits, you can just watch the road crumble and deteriorate in front of you.

Get smaller wheels with bigger tires... 15s or 16s so that u can absorb the bumps better.

The car can handle it :D

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Yeah, a thousand bucks? My first few POS cars in highschool, in the early 90s...were still like 3 grand. A thousand bucks? As a car you rely on day to day? That is insanity. It'd nickel and dime you to death the first month, not to mention totally bum you out everytime you drove it. $5k and you're talking.

^^^^
Best answer!
A $1000 car is a beater, a real beater and you will at the minimum be nickel and dimed to death.
You'd probably have to spend over a $1000 right off the bat on a car like that just to get the tires it most likely needs, change the hoses, belts and the assorted other BS that make the car a $1000 car.
Only then come the unknown failures.
When the steering rack leaks, suspension bushings fail, and on and on.

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
My diesel MB was way less than a thousand, spent about $1500 in repairing and refreshing it initially, and have since put on 30k miles on it. 30mpg, 25 gallon fuel tank, its like driving a sofa...which is kinda cool sometimes. Transmission recently blew, but paid $150 for a good used one. Gotta know the right places to look and willingness to do your own work...then lots of cars come cheap. My 300E was 2 grand, I've spent another $1k on maintenance items (normal wear) and put on about 20k on that too. I own, yes OWN (not a bank!) 2 Mercedes :cool: from the era when they actually made great quality and DIY-friendly cars.

If you don't care about appearance, a GM 3.8 V6 will run just about forever. They are cheap and plentiful. Do your homework and you can get a decent car for $1000, just don't expect it to be in pristine condition.

hoepucher

Ready to race!
Use that $1,000 to buy more GTI mods! It'll make your drive more fun and hopefully you won't think about the miles!

McQueen77

Banned
Use that $1,000 to buy more GTI mods! It'll make your drive more fun and hopefully you won't think about the miles!

I know a guy with a mk4 In my hood that has 160k miles on it with the original turbo. You can put a ton of miles on these cars.

djax1

Ready to race!
My diesel MB was way less than a thousand, spent about $1500 in repairing and refreshing it initially, and have since put on 30k miles on it. 30mpg, 25 gallon fuel tank, its like driving a sofa...which is kinda cool sometimes. Transmission recently blew, but paid $150 for a good used one. Gotta know the right places to look and willingness to do your own work...then lots of cars come cheap. My 300E was 2 grand, I've spent another $1k on maintenance items (normal wear) and put on about 20k on that too. I own, yes OWN (not a bank!) 2 Mercedes :cool: from the era when they actually made great quality and DIY-friendly cars.

If you don't care about appearance, a GM 3.8 V6 will run just about forever. They are cheap and plentiful. Do your homework and you can get a decent car for $1000, just don't expect it to be in pristine condition.

Sounds like you know what you're doing. I'm willing to put the effort in researching for the right car, but I'm definitely not as car-savvy.

I might put this idea to rest.

This is true! I've yet to go stage 1. Yes, I know. I know.

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
I think it is an awful idea. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to keep a $1,000 car running. Not to mention it would just suck driving a car like that knowing you have a nice new GTI at home.

I couldn't do it. Cars are meant to be driven. Just be happy that you actually enjoy driving the car you have.

Save you $1,000 and an unmeasurable amount for frustration in dealing with a $1,000 car, and enjoy the one you have. Drive it till it dies.

I would rather drive my GTI 30k miles/year than worry if my $1,000 car will get me to/from work everyday... I hope to pay off the GTI early if possible then get a second CPO car, Audi/BMW/MB, so I have some variety.

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
Just drive your GTI. It's a car it's meant to be driven. It does no good sitting in your garage. I used to feel the same about my Golf and would try to keep the KMs down. Now I just enjoy them! Since May of 2010 I have put over 53,000km (33,000 miles) on it.