GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thinking of getting a WRX

BlownFa5

Banned
Horsepower usually doesn't kill things. It's the torque that does ;)

Not sure what you mean by this. Are you referring to breaking things, like on the engine internally? Or "killing" cars on the street?

If you were talking about the first one, I completely agree. One of the reasons the k20 can make so much power on the stock block and internals is is the low amount of torque it makes. If you were talking about the second, then you are sadly mistaken. A 400+ whp Si that is properly tuned will dust most cars in a straight line.

BlownFa5

Banned
I'd like to see what 20k car puts down 400whp+ for over 150k miles, anything less than that is not enough time to judge reliability.

That is the worst logic I've ever heard.

So a car can't be considered reliable unless it's proved it for over 150k miles?

Anyone modding a car to over 200% stock output that plans on driving it that many miles is quite frankly an idiot.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
That is the worst logic I've ever heard.

So a car can't be considered reliable unless it's proved it for over 150k miles?

Anyone modding a car to over 200% stock output that plans on driving it that many miles is quite frankly an idiot.

So you've just proven my point... :laugh: its not reliable.

BlownFa5

Banned
So you've just proven my point... :laugh: its not reliable.

Sure it is. I know 3 people with 400whp+ SIs (one is over 500whp) who have daily driven them for multiple years.

They don't break down and their cars require no special maintenance.

Is that not reliable to you? I know you drive a GTI and a modified stock engine that is reliable sounds like nonsense to you, but believe me, it is possible.

ElusiveGTI

Ready to race!
We're getting off topic here a bit. Can anyone answer my question about how a ko4 would compare to a moded wrx. I dunno which stage would be comparable.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
We're getting off topic here a bit. Can anyone answer my question about how a ko4 would compare to a moded wrx. I dunno which stage would be comparable.

What are you trying to compare... the GTI has issues putting down K04 power because of wrong wheel drive. Other than that no one has truly run K04 powered GTIs long enough to see what would happen.

T is for TURBO

Ready to race!
Not sure what you mean by this. Are you referring to breaking things, like on the engine internally? Or "killing" cars on the street?

If you were talking about the first one, I completely agree. One of the reasons the k20 can make so much power on the stock block and internals is is the low amount of torque it makes. If you were talking about the second, then you are sadly mistaken. A 400+ whp Si that is properly tuned will dust most cars in a straight line.

I meant that horsepower isn't the killer of drive lines/engines, it almost always torque.

(I was trying to take a dig at the torque output of hondas ;))

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
So basically Ko4 is useless in the gti? Dunno why so many people have it then if all you get is wheelhop.
Wheel hop?
You only get that during launch and perhaps with shittier tires. What you will most likely see is just burned rubber. Because 225s won't hold 350whp.

But if you modulate your throttle you should be ok.

Jcap287

Go Kart Champion
I guess I'm just spoiled by having an engine in my $20,000 car that makes upwards of 400whp reliably :laugh:

I thought I saw turbo BRZs pushing 400whp+ on stock internals, though I haven't read any follow ups as to any problems these engines were having.

Theres tons of youtube videos on turbo frs/brzs from 270-600+ hp ....the crawford turbo brz is an animal at 450

BlownFa5

Banned
I meant that horsepower isn't the killer of drive lines/engines, it almost always torque.

(I was trying to take a dig at the torque output of hondas ;))

Ha, I was hoping that's what you meant :thumbsup:

But you're exactly right. I must say I don't mind it. I did when I was N/A because I was slow, but now that I am running F/I the lack of torque the k20 makes the car more pleasurable to drive.

Imo, a turbo Si makes the perfect amount of torque for a fwd vehicle. A 400 whp Si should make around 300ish wtq at 4500 rpms, give or take depending on turbo and tune.

To this day the prettiest dyno sheet I've ever seen came off of an S2000. Hit 400 wtq at 4k and held it flat through 9.5k and made over 750 rwhp. Also on a stock block. If it didn't take so damn long to spool a turbo with those motors they would be the ultimate recipe for success.

BlownFa5

Banned
Theres tons of youtube videos on turbo frs/brzs from 270-600+ hp ....the crawford turbo brz is an animal at 450

From everything I've heard, the FA is the strongest boxer motor we've seen from Subaru. I will definitely consider a next gen WRX for that reason alone.

jrokami13

Ready to race!

I would say a stage 2 (non E-85)would compare with a Ko4.
From everything I've heard, the FA is the strongest boxer motor we've seen from Subaru. I will definitely consider a next gen WRX for that reason alone.

+1k

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion

Not sure you meant to imply this, but to be clear, the crawford brz isn't on stock internals. Forged pistons and rods, not sure what else has been added since I last checked.

You're right though, there are a number of Twins out there hitting 600+ whp on stock internals. FBM's stage 2 kit (basically GTX3582 + larger intercooler + 1150cc injectors on top of the stage 1 kit) will hit 604 whp / 472 lbs-ft with that setup. No one knows for sure how reliable it is, but FBM claims something like 300+ dyno passes.

VCMC in Canada has been running the FBM kit since November and say it can hold up to some track abuse. Here's their update from April:

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share some data from our experience with the FullBlown Motorsports turbo kit.

We installed the unit late November and since have been absolutely bagging on the car. We've done lapping days, autocross, ice racing and plenty more. We solved our heating issue after the 1st track test and haven't had an issue since. Motor is performing great!

Actually it is 5:34am this morning and I'm headed to the track right now to do some laps!

I think we'll be putting up video from the day, I'll throw it up here when we post!

Richard

Hey guys,

Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner, spent the day at the track.

The heat issue was solved by ducting away heat better and upgrading the stock rad.

From stock there is quite a bit of plastic around the windshield wiper area, we removed this and saw a big improvement in heat dissipation.

Of course upgrading the radiator was a massive piece of the puzzle. In the /Drive video there were a few reasons working against us other than limited testing time. Mainly it was about 20 deg (c) hotter in at the track than in Canada at the time. While it was a shame we had a heat issue that day, he could do 5 hot laps before 1 cool down and back at it for another 5 laps. Which realistically makes it more that capable for any street driving.

That being said, today at track, it was 15 deg (c) and I did numerous sessions, each over 15 minutes and not once did the needle move above 1/4 on the gauge.

Just like the Team VCMC FR-S, the Fullblown kit keeps improving and good golly its quick :p

If you guys have any other questions about our car, the turbo, whatever, I'd be happy to respond!

Richard

topdawgx99

Passed Driver's Ed
Crazy... get the 2011 wrx hands down. Interior and stereo suck, but everything else is superior (except gas mileage sucks). And get the cobb accessport. it costs about $515 new if you bargain with the vendors, and you can resell it when you're done with the car for at least $450 (that's what i did). Stage 1 will get you 260whp and 295wtq. You will NEVER wheel hop or burn out on accident. Snow? You'll drive through it as if nothing was there. I regret selling my wrx, but i'm getting 40+ mpgs now. Similar sized tanks, wrx got me 280-330 miles to the tank, tdi gets me 480-570 miles to the tank. even with the gas, if i could go back to my wrx, i would. RESALE value is ridiculous. i sold my wrx to a dealership and after negotiations i got 2k more than i paid for my wrx. looking at craigslist, i bet i would've gotten more on a local sale.

cliffnotes: Get the wrx