GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thinking of getting a WRX

T is for TURBO

Ready to race!
BT and stereos in WRX and STI are quite laughable....

I'm not terribly impressed with my BT in my GTI. I thought it was my phone causing the problems, until I got a new phone, and it was the same deal with the new phone. I mean, it's not terrible by any stretch of the imagination, but It's not perfect.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Yep the "premium" nav/stereo in my old STI hatch was a POS.

indeed. my '08 STI's stereo was total shit. I remember driving home my brother-in-law's 1998 volvo for him one time... the stereo in that 10+ year old volvo was about 10,000 times better than the STI's...

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
indeed. my '08 STI's stereo was total shit. I remember driving home my brother-in-law's 1998 volvo for him one time... the stereo in that 10+ year old volvo was about 10,000 times better than the STI's...

Yeah you know it's bad when you wish the stereo on your new $39k STI would sound as good as the tape player your car had in the 90's. But the worst was the graphic EQ in the STI. Gave you a glimmer of hope that you could improve the sound, until your realized the settings didn't actually do anything. Just 100 different ways to make your music sound like crap.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
lol^

Jcap287

Go Kart Champion
YOU DO KNOW THAT A BRAND NEW WRX WILL ARRIVE BEFORE THE NEW GTI RIGHT? It is supposed to be a more powerful, more fuel efficient, and an immensely better looking car than the current WRX. What's the hurry? I would wait for the new WRX.

^ This ...

The new one will be my next car....

isnt it a turbo variant of the brz engine? which is an awesome engine

crawford performance turbo brz makes 450 hp they put the same turbo on the current wrx/sti and got 360 hp out of it

kec789

Ready to race!
You guys are so funny about interior. I honestly dont think either gen is that bad. You want bad, look at an evo 8/9. As long as an interior meets a minimum line to me Im good, and the MS3 meets that, but again, Im in the minority there.

I will admit, I would love the AWD that comes with a WRX, but if I went that route it would have to be STI and thats just too much money for me right now. If the OP can afford it, I dont think its a bad way to go at all.

Maybe we are...I looked at buying a MS3 but couldn't stand how the interior was and I also didn't like how plasticy it all felt. Crazy power though...

kec789

Ready to race!
I definitely don't agree with that. All I need are great supportive seats and some technology that will allow me to connect my phone to the audio system and I can drive a long time.

I did 1200 miles in the GTI in two days, and I can't get the driver's seat to support my lower back correctly no matter how much I adjust. The lumbar support hits about 3" too high, and I start to feel uncomfortable after a couple hours.

Wow, surprised to hear that. I have crazy back problems and take copious amounts of narcotics to deal with them every day. Over memorial day weekend we drove 3.5 hours to our cabin and I got out feeling fantastic and refreshed. the seats in my GTI keep my back feeling better than any other car I've driven. My last car was a Legacy and I couldn't get comfortable in those seats no matter how I adjusted them. The drive to our cabin would nearly kill me in that car! (It was a great car otherwise.)

Last edited:

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
You say that as if there aren't any VW douchenozzels. I'd say the worst of both groups sit at the same level of "douchiness" and the quantity, at least in my area, is about the same as well

AWD > FWD. Especially once you start putting power to the wheels. It is a night and day difference. I dealt with a modded FWD turbo car for years, and I HATED feathering ALL of 1st and not being able to lay the hammer down until part way into 2nd gear. There is a reason why I converted it to AWD. I put a much bigger turbo on to boot. And it still has more grip than a high dollar hooker.

You won't loose any torque going to a WRX. Stock for stock that is. Since we ONLY compare apples to apples, right? ;)

*IF* interior is your thing, than the GTI is going to win in that department. Though I do find the seats in my buddy's bug eye really comfortable. But than again I'm not an interior-supremacist Nazi, so don't take my word for it :D

Agreed. Douches drive everything, but there are not many GTI's in my area. WRX's are EVERYWHERE. All douches too. They all want to race and drive with one hand hangin over the wheel at the 12 position blasting shitty music outta those shitty stereo's with shitty white sunglasses.

There is definitely a stereotype in a WRX.

ElusiveGTI

Ready to race!
No, clean carfax, 1 owner, can buy for 23,700 ( whole sale price), handles like no other car I have ever driven. Just seems under powered compared to my gti, but its 100% stock, with sti short shifter and front lip. With $1500 in mods I know it would be a complete beast and fun to drive.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
No, clean carfax, 1 owner, can buy for 23,700 ( whole sale price), handles like no other car I have ever driven. Just seems under powered compared to my gti, but its 100% stock, with sti short shifter and front lip. With $1500 in mods I know it would be a complete beast and fun to drive.

I don't really get it, WRXs have more crank power than a stage 1 GTI (I guess AWD does equal more loss though). And they have 0-60 times under 5 seconds, no?

Jcap287

Go Kart Champion

yea they can become very fast for not a lot

clubwrx.net is good a forum to get on if you dont want to go on nasioc.com

You should ask your dealership if they can find you a used 2011 STI at a decent price

BlownFa5

Banned
And they have 0-60 times under 5 seconds, no?

Yes, they do. WRXs are insanely quick off the line. 08-13 WRX's have open front and rear diffs with a viscous coupling center diff that does a poor job of splitting torque front and rear. But the open diffs actually HELP the car to launch better. I have seen them pull sub 1.7 60' times on stock tires.