GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thinking of getting a WRX

ElusiveGTI

Ready to race!
I think I am getting the wrx :) insurance is like $70 more a year, only $60 more a month for payment, 16k miles. It can be modified decently cheap to make big hp. Handles very well. Bluetooth isn't as bad as everyone claims it to be. Talked on it today. The person I talked to said it sounds just as good if not better than the gti.

MrMke

Go Kart Champion
I think I am getting the wrx :) insurance is like $70 more a year, only $60 more a month for payment, 16k miles. It can be modified decently cheap to make big hp. Handles very well. Bluetooth isn't as bad as everyone claims it to be. Talked on it today. The person I talked to said it sounds just as good if not better than the gti.

any pics of the WRX?

BlownFa5

Banned

False

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
^ true, they do have understeer, yet at the same time, AWD is crucial in pulling through the corners and just "powering/plowing" your way threw them. For a DD, it's not really an issue.

BlownFa5

Banned
Yep. The WRX does not have the LSD's of the STI, and has open diffs front and rear, as well as a VC for the center diff. This results in horrible traction, understeer, and an otherwise poor handling car. Do not buy a WRX if you want a car that handles well. As a DD though, I don't see this being much of an issue for most people.

It's actually ironic, because the 2011+ WRX is the fastest, and most competitive SCCA ProSolo Road Tire car available today. Don't even bother showing up if you don't have one. People are still buying them to auto-x even if they truly handle like shit :laugh:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Yep. The WRX does not have the LSD's of the STI, and has open diffs front and rear, as well as a VC for the center diff. This results in horrible traction, understeer, and an otherwise poor handling car. Do not buy a WRX if you want a car that handles well. As a DD though, I don't see this being much of an issue for most people.

It's actually ironic, because the 2011+ WRX is the fastest, and most competitive SCCA ProSolo Road Tire car available today. Don't even bother showing up if you don't have one. People are still buying them to auto-x even if they truly handle like shit :laugh:

agree with most of what you said, however I believe the WRX has shown pretty similar times to the STI in the Lightning Lap stuff C&D does. I also wouldn't call full time AWD "horrible traction", but yes, there is understeer, same with an STI.

T is for TURBO

Ready to race!
I also wouldn't call full time AWD "horrible traction", but yes, there is understeer, same with an STI.

Agreed. I have an open diff in the front and rear of my Talon, and there is PLENTY of traction, and it's no slouch either.

I have to be careful when I get out of that car and into my gti, otherwise I end up roasting the tires :burnrubber:

BlownFa5

Banned
agree with most of what you said, however I believe the WRX has shown pretty similar times to the STI in the Lightning Lap stuff C&D does. I also wouldn't call full time AWD "horrible traction", but yes, there is understeer, same with an STI.

The STI isn't far ahead of the WRX when it comes to handling, so that isn't surprising. Especially given the WRX is a couple hundred lbs lighter and just as quick in a straight line.

Overall, Subaru has improved some of their terrible suspension designs of the past. They went to a multi-link in the rear of the newer chassis and gave the front struts a massive 7 degrees of caster and adjustment for almost 3 degrees of negative static camber on the 2011 (well, the WRX got that, the STI got screwed).

For the WRX with the open diffs, best case scenario is only two wheels spinning, one front and one rear. But the truth of the matter is that the VC center does such a poor job of splitting torque, that the car just spins the inside front quite often. Maybe not horrible traction but poor traction? Yes.

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
Agreed. I have an open diff in the front and rear of my Talon, and there is PLENTY of traction, and it's no slouch either.

I have to be careful when I get out of that car and into my gti, otherwise I end up roasting the tires :burnrubber:

Hah reminds me of when I traded my STI in for a GTI. Lots of wheelspin and tire chirps off the line and coming out of slow corners until I got used to FWD.

BlownFa5

Banned

WRX's differentials (or any open diffs in an awd car) don't cause issues while launching at or anywhere near stock power (nor at stage 2). There's not enough power to overwhelm the traction for any real period of time. In the dry you might get a bit of spin or a chirp before you take off and that's on a very aggressive launch. You're not going to sit there roasting a tire while the car is stationary.

Like I said, none of this is relevant unless you are tracking the car. For a DD that doesn't see track time, the differentials are completely invisible.

ElusiveGTI

Ready to race!
I'll upload pictures when I get home. Silver, gunmetal wheels, no wing, sedan. black interior, im surpised the speedomoter only goes to 150? Anyone know how the top end of the WRX is. I know from a roll they are not the quickest cars.

BlownFa5

Banned
Congrats :thumbsup:

T is for TURBO

Ready to race!
WRX's differentials (or any open diffs in an awd car) don't cause issues while launching at or anywhere near stock power (nor at stage 2). There's not enough power to overwhelm the traction for any real period of time. In the dry you might get a bit of spin or a chirp before you take off and that's on a very aggressive launch. You're not going to sit there roasting a tire while the car is stationary.

Like I said, none of this is relevant unless you are tracking the car. For a DD that doesn't see track time, the differentials are completely invisible.

I'm well aware of the amount of power it takes to spin the tires on a AWD platform with an open diff or other wise. I was simply implying that a WRX open diff will still supply more than enough traction for a DD (which I was not clear about)

You're not going to sit there roasting a tire while the car is stationary.

Watch me :D

I'll upload pictures when I get home. Silver, gunmetal wheels, no wing, sedan. black interior, im surpised the speedomoter only goes to 150? Anyone know how the top end of the WRX is. I know from a roll they are not the quickest cars.
You'll love it! Too bad gas prices keep rising though :/