GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thinking of replacing the Jetta.......

Thumper

Autocross Champion
FYI The V60 wagon is small and has the same amount of cargo space as a MK6 GTI. 43.8 cu ft for the V60, 44.5 for GTI. There's nothing good on the new market except a base Macan.

That pisses me off.....it doesn't look that small.....well....crap....who the heck would pay $45k for a hatchback being called a wagon? Stupid Volvo....

Back to the S4.....lol

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Used SRT Jeep GC. 470Hp, AWD, boners all day long.

And it gets 27mpg on the highway? And won't roll over when I hit a 25mph mountain twist at 50? LOL

Yeah, not a big fan of the Chrysler line. Had what should arguably have been the best of the best from them (Charger Super Bee) and it was trash. I'd drive a Honda Accord before I'd get another Chrysler product.

Actually, I was thinking about the Volvo V60 last night. Even if it is the same size as the GTI and not a full wagon.........it still has more power than the GTI, AWD and a few nicety options that will be nice for the winters (heated steering wheel, remote start)......I might still test drive it, if I can find one next year.

So, the list as I have it now;

Audi S4
Volvo V60
BMW 328ix M Sport or 328dx M sport Wagon
Mercedes CLA45 AMG (although the interior may kill that)
Audi A6 TDI (blow the budget right out)

And the wildcard is the Audi Allroad that I go Stg 2 on or maybe even KO4.......but that would mean buying it out at lease end as a possibility....BUT.....it would be a 300+ HP AWD wagon.......tempting......

Last edited:

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that his Charger was a 1st gen, mine is a 2nd gen. Thank you, you can all return to your discussion.

THat is depressing about the S60 though.... WTF.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that his Charger was a 1st gen, mine is a 2nd gen. Thank you, you can all return to your discussion.

And yet they are still using the gear selector and steering wheel off a 2001 Durango??? Seriously....I'll grant you that the center dash is MUCH better but what is up with that steering wheel? :barf:

And I'll bet the auto gearbox is still about as sloppy as a muddy hole. :p

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
And the wildcard is the Audi Allroad that I go Stg 2 on or maybe even KO4.......but that would mean buying it out at lease end as a possibility....BUT.....it would be a 300+ HP AWD wagon.......tempting......

I'd get a 328ix wagon way before the new Allroad. I love my allroad but only because it cost under $7k and has way more features than the new ones.

In fact I'd probably get it before anything else on your list, RWD platform >> FWD platforms.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
In fact I'd probably get it before anything else on your list, RWD platform >> FWD platforms.

???? :confused:

You got the part where I have to drive this car on the slick, icy roads of a Colorado winter right? AWD > FWD > RWD(Death) And everything on my list is AWD.

But you said 328ix, which is AWD......I looked at the 328dx with the M sport truthfully.....seemed a little underpowered (can they tune those LOL) and I forgot, it SHOULD still be on the list since it may not haul tail with 0-60 at just over 7 seconds, it does have 280ft/lbs of torque and they put paddle shifters on it.....

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Key word: platform.

Everything on your list except the BMW is based on an extremely nose-heavy FWD car, the BMW is based on a balanced RWD car. With equal tires the BMW should be better handling under most circumstances. You were looking for something fun, a balanced chassis is more fun. 328ix M-sport wagon would be fun and practical.

(Side note: Please tell me you aren't one of those people who think AWD will help you turn or stop)

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Good point, big difference between a car designed for AWD and one with AWD added as a secondary 'option'.

(Side note: Please tell me you aren't one of those people who think AWD will help you turn or stop)

Stop? How would AWD improve stopping? ;) :D

Turning? Yeah, I think it won't hurt to have the front and back wheels biting while turning, keep the back end from sliding out from behind and causing a spin. Do I expect to be able to carve corners in the slick just because of it? No.

But the true assistance will be accelerating especially from a stop. Right now the Jetta is crippled in the snow as even the most moderate acceleration (shifting weight off the drive wheels) causes the TCS to activate leaving you moving forward at snail's pace or spinning the wheels slightly.....and moving forward at a snail's pace and slightly drifting to one side....lol

Ok, so, the 328dx Wagon is moved the top of my list based on price. As much as I want an S4, it is pricey and has no cargo space. The wagon will be nice to be able to haul some stuff and for long road trips.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
If I had the cash a loaded 328ix/dx wagon and base Porsche Macan would be #1 and #2 on my list pending test drives. Nothing else is really in the ballpark for practicality + fun unless you go used.

Spyder368

Ready to race!
So predictable from everyone.

Not one mention of a Subaru.... not one mention of an AWD Charger. LOL.

Jeebus. NO MORE VAG KOOL AID PEOPLE. IT WILL RUN OUT.

I had thought of a fully loaded STI wagon yesterday but I saw the mpg and it was lower than what Thumper wanted so I didn't post about it.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Stumbled on this.....Mercedes seems to GET it......LOL

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/class/class-E/bodystyle-WGN

300HP Wagon, 27MPG hwy.........nice.

And it gets better.........

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/model/class-E/model-E63SP

577HP WAGON!!!!!!!! :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Granted, I can't afford that one....LOL......though I did find a used one in FL I think it was, CPO......$63k or something, only 14k miles......

Dammnit Audi, bring the RS4 Avant wagon to the states. Stop punishing us!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Son

of

a

b***ch

I just found a 2013 TTRS with less than 15k miles on it at a dealership not 16 miles from my house.........and it already has an APR tune and exhaust on it according to the listing........

The wife is pointing out it's not practical because of the lack of a serious backseat.......and now, I am actually considering swapping the GTI for it instead of the Jetta to defeat her argument about practicality......LOL......

But I love my GTI...........but the TTRS is like the Holy Grail, or at least some of the Dead Sea Scrolls....

frick, frick......

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Hold out for the new S3.

Jeff

Thought about it, but same reason I dumped the Volvo idea, it's pretty much the same car as my GTI. Sure, has a bit more power and AWD (and Audi's are sexy), but just feels weird getting literally two of the same platform. lol

So, updated list.......

S4
Q5 TDI
E250 Blu Tec sedan
E350 4MATIC w/ sport styling (will need a GOOD deal to make this fit budget, but it's a high horsepower wagon, so cool. Just wish it had about 50 more horses......)
328d Xdrive wagon M sport
335i Xdrive sedan M sport

Of course, I am not sure if I can keep myself from going down and seeing what the dealer will do on that TTRS, but that would mean swapping the GTI not the Jetta most likely.......and I have put so much of myself into the GTI.........man I wish I had more money and a bigger garage.....lol