GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Too Adult?

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
He's in Iraq

also Nomad...best of luck over there...i know your a com guy(i think)...but still

my brother just got back 2 weeks ago from over there...he's a Navy EOD guy that while he was over there was part of a seal team...he was telling me all about the IED's and stuff like that..sounds really shitty over there

nomad

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
oh its all happy times and sunny skys ;) lol im glad your brother got back ok, im sure the seal guys took care of him, eod is very reputible, esp seeing how ied's are our largest threats these days.

Dub Factor

Jagshemesh!
I like the "maturity" of the GTI over the years. While I found some humor in the "unpimp" commercials, and was happy to see VW advertise the GTI - those ads didn't really lend themselves to the "mature" audience.... my .02

bilbos

On the Kop
It was obvious from the advertising campaign where the target demographic was for the GTI, but the car has the flexibility to appeal to all ages. Just look at the wide age variation of owners who frequent this site.

It is a strange label to put on a car though, mature or immature, unless that translates to old man's car / young kids car.

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
ok...lol....let me try and clear up the mature/immature statements

immature...no real nice features...no leather..no ESP...no on-board computer..stuff like that

mature...the GTi...lol

it proably sounds better in my head than what im writing on here...but just try and understand...lol

bilbos

On the Kop
Freek said:
ok...lol....let me try and clear up the mature/immature statements

immature...no real nice features...no leather..no ESP...no on-board computer..stuff like that

mature...the GTi...lol

it proably sounds better in my head than what im writing on here...but just try and understand...lol

OK, I get you :biggrin:

The GTI = mature, most definitely.

It is good to have a few nice toys on your car.

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
Freek said:
...is the more i think about it....hes sorta right....i think the past versions were alittle more "raw"....and me coming from my Si...that car was alot more "raw,immature" than my GTi

This is a good thing, not a bag thing. I had a 1992 GTI 16V. Great fun, racer for the street, but gets old as a daily driver.

The R&T and C&D test reports say it best. The MkV GTI is a fun car you can live with every day, not just track day.

Now, get the 5 door to the dealers, and we have a good looking fun car you can live with every day.

KharatosGTI

Rally Car Newbie
VW has a consumer base that any company would kill for. VWs appeal to both the young and aged, their products seem to spark some kind of passion regardless of age.

And that's not something I said, I read it somewhere.

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
KharatosGTI said:
VW has a consumer base that any company would kill for. VWs appeal to both the young and aged, their products seem to spark some kind of passion regardless of age.And that's not something I said, I read it somewhere.

I have owned and loved VW's products for 35 years.

I own Porsche. I have owned Audis. I have owned a slue of VW's.

My first choice would always be VW, regardless of the price.

davis_grad

Touring Car Champion
Freek said:
He says the cars more adult cuz of the interior and the lay out of the dash,the size of the car in general,the DSG option...just the car in general...he says everything about the car is more mature than the later generations...and is more on par with the Toureg as far as matureity

So what bothers me...is the more i think about it....hes sorta right....i think the past versions were alittle more "raw"....and me coming from my Si...that car was alot more "raw,immature" than my GTi

You can't look back in hindight and make a comparison between the Mk1 and MkV. All cars made 30 years ago were more "raw". I'm old enough to remember the GTi when it was first introduced, and drove a few Rabbits back in the day. Also drove and owned a few Bugs as well. The Rabbit, and GTi later, were at the time pretty well thought out, "complete" cars, as far as euro cars went, and were typical for the time. They were certainly better built than some Japanese imports (anyone remember the original corolla?) even though it took a while for VW lovers to get used to. Sure, the Golf/Rabbit had problems (remember the Rabbit diesel?) but at the time they were a pretty solid car. If what your brother says is true, then it is true for every other car as well--I can compare the 5 series BMW, the Honda Accord, or any Subaru and make the same evaluation--and because it would be true for 99.9% of all vehicles out there, it becomes a somewhat pointless observation.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Freek said:
oh i agree with u 100%....but i wasnt talking about mature vs immature in a negitive way...i was using those terms cuz of the convo i had with my brother...by the way my brother is 35...so u dont think he is a young kid or anything

also no i built my car with comfort and all the things i wanted in the car...so a pkg 0 was out of the question

im really not dissing the car...i love my GTi...it just i really do think its on the mature side of the cars in the same class and price range

also here is my old Si....ricer?

Nope. Nice looking blue and those wheels go well with it!

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
davis_grad said:
You can't look back in hindight and make a comparison between the Mk1 and MkV. All cars made 30 years ago were more "raw". I'm old enough to remember the GTi when it was first introduced, and drove a few Rabbits back in the day. Also drove and owned a few Bugs as well. The Rabbit, and GTi later, were at the time pretty well thought out, "complete" cars, as far as euro cars went, and were typical for the time. They were certainly better built than some Japanese imports (anyone remember the original corolla?) even though it took a while for VW lovers to get used to. Sure, the Golf/Rabbit had problems (remember the Rabbit diesel?) but at the time they were a pretty solid car. If what your brother says is true, then it is true for every other car as well--I can compare the 5 series BMW, the Honda Accord, or any Subaru and make the same evaluation--and because it would be true for 99.9% of all vehicles out there, it becomes a somewhat pointless observation.

well it wasnt so much as saying that he was suprised that its more "mature"...he was just saying that its alot different from the Mk4 and has alot more in common with the Toureg

see this being my first VW i really cant say that one was better than the others...and yes technology does advance...thats not really the debate...there was no debate...he was just making the observation that they have changed the GTi into a more "mature" GTi

see ive only driven hondas...and hondas dont really change that much...granted they might put a new motor in or add a navi unit as an option...but they dont have all the bells and whistles that other cars in the class...like the GTi

take for instance the 06 Si,05 Si and the 00 Si...they all have cloth seats no leather options...they all have a manual transmission no options...the 06 and 05 Si's have the same basic motor...granted its got a bigger displacement and more power...no cool little features like out on-board computer

to me these cars are raw....not raw in a bad way...i love the new Si and i loved my Si...its just to me these car are more for a lite daily driver but are suited better at the track

Guys please dont misunderstand me....i think the Si is a great car and so is the GTi...i just think one is more for the sport minded daily driver(GTi) as the other is more focused for the weekend warrior for track use(Si)

To Wild Hare...Thanx for the compliement...that car was a great car...and it looked even better in person...i loved that car...but with all the work the car had done to it...it wasnt a daily driver and i need a car that i could drive daily with out worring about having to get out of the car and push it over speed bumps..lol

dmclone

Oval Champion
Freek said:
oh i agree with u 100%....but i wasnt talking about mature vs immature in a negitive way...i was using those terms cuz of the convo i had with my brother...by the way my brother is 35...so u dont think he is a young kid or anything

also no i built my car with comfort and all the things i wanted in the car...so a pkg 0 was out of the question

im really not dissing the car...i love my GTi...it just i really do think its on the mature side of the cars in the same class and price range

also here is my old Si....ricer?

I had one like that but it wasn't "riced out". Out of the 12+ cars I've owned it's the only one that I didn't loose money on. Bought it new for $16,500 and a year later sold it for $17K plus.