GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Top speeds...

tydale3

Rally Car Champion
there is no such thing as a fast break-in. Unless you race cars for a living. I plan on keeping this car for a long time and want many miles after the warranty is out. Dont go over 80% of the redline for this first 5,000 miles and you will be adding life to your engine. this has been proven over the years. Thats why they came up with the word Break-in. Also never stay at the same rpm for extended periods during break-in.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
So never use cruise control or drive on ther highway for the first 5000 miles?
Hmmm::eek: Have you seen any articles coming from my standpoint that talk about the fast break-in and show pics or are you just ranting and saying there is no such thing.
Over the years car manufacturers have been holding their machining to tighter specs and the theory that you are applying that dates back to who knows when isn't necessarily believed to be necessary anymore. But if you can show me the proof that the other side has shown me then your arguement may have some validity. I'm not bashing your beliefs, I just don't believe them. I've ran my last few vehicles hard as soon as I purchased them and haven't had problems yet. I still know where two of the vehicles (one car [Civic} and one motorcycle [Kawasaki z1000]) are and the owners are not having engine problem with them because I ran them hard. I didn't break redline during break in, but I'd take it real close to it.
Plus I believe that VW runs these to be turbo engines at that plant to make sure they can handle the turbo abuse. Not to mention the test drives that people take them on to beat the piss out of them. I know I ran two of them this way when I was test driving them. Later

sledgod

Autocross Newbie
Cjeckert said:
your crazy sledgog hehe, oh have you been to ski dubai? i have a professor who worked on that.

Thanks !! unfortunately my Golf is sick at the moment so I am now high speed testing the dealership loan car, a VW Bora 2.0. Max speed so far 106mph :headbang:

Ski Dubai is excellent, I went on Xmas day for a snowball fight. I plan to learn how to snowboard in July/August when its 50c outside. Great place, its a big hit here. :thumbup:

Mirza

Banned
Car(s)
Rabbit
I apologize if this has already been a thread here. I haven't looked it up. But I was wondering what top speeds were as to date. I took mine around 123 to 124 mph on the third day I owned it. That's the fastest it's been. Also, is there a chip or something you can do to take the gorvernor limiter out of it so it doesn't top out at 130 or is that about all it has left?

wtf n wat car is this? i went 140mph in my rabbit n i think thats not it yet im not sure sriously

06tornadoGTI

"The" Red Devil
Car(s)
06 GTI
I had mine to 120 on the first day with about 100 miles on it and never looked back. I hit at least 100 everyday on the highway. It gets there so fast how can i not. Plus who buys a fast car and doesnt drive it fast. If you want to drive a GTI and normal speeds, buy a rabbit and some hufs. :thumbdown:
If people really think their car will "break" becuase you top end it before the break-in period is complete, then you have little confidence for the build quality of our cars. If it does, thats what warranties are for. If the car can go the fast, then it will. Think of like the weight limit on an elevator. If it says 2000lbs it can probably hold 3000lbs or more, same with our governor, keep it under and you will be fine.

P.S. i have hit 140 but my speedo is probably 10 off or so, it did have more room to go though.

And as for the break-in, my g/f's subi Legacy had a 750 mile breakin, thats all. Any more then that doesnt make sense and i would drive myself crazy if i couldnt drive my BRAND NEW GTI hard. You also dont have to floor it hit 120, thats the only thing i didnt do when it was new.

Understeer'd

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'07 VW Golf (BPY)
^ No, break-ins are for real.

Long term gas mileage, over-all power (esp torque) and general motor response wear less with an easy break-in. A gradual break-in; consistant slow motor speeds aren't good either. Top speed runs are also important and recomended (In Germany, a strong argument for European delivery [Autobahn]), but not when you're redlining every gear. It's not just the motor, but everything on the car.

That said the the motors in our cars are run with special break-in oil in Germany, or where ever they may be made. New cars also need a lot less break in than cars traditionally have, esp German cars. The idea is still simple, think of bending a paper clip: the car's made of metal, moving metal is bending metal, when it's pushed it's being stressed, when stressed hard the first time metal is more likely to break than it is when stressed after warming up.
Instead of running the chance of stress fractors, you're making it more able to handle what you want it to do down the road.

06tornadoGTI

"The" Red Devil
Car(s)
06 GTI
^
I agree with what you are saying and do actually have poor gas mileage but your analogy is a little off. If you think of a paper clip, it breaks easier after its been bent several times. The first time it never breaks but if you bend it consistently, then it breaks.
18,500 miles later, too late for a break-in, still running good though, no problems and no break-in (except no redlines).:bow:

srbsta

Banned
Car(s)
2006 Volkswagen GTI
hehehe went for a drive with my dad the other day and it was the first time i let him take the GTI for a spin and we hit 248km/h on the freeway....faken psycho thats why i dont let him drive

damo

Oval Newbie
you will be adding life to your engine. this has been proven over the years. Thats why they came up with the word Break-in. Also never stay at the same rpm for extended periods during break-in.
Personally ive always thrashed my cars and they have run faultlessly, except for a few gearboxes along the way. But thats another story regarding 'Roll backs' and 'Donuts' in Awd vehicles :laugh:

My opinion is that the term "break in" was first used before your grandfather wanted to buy a car, it was relavent back then but i think you will find all manufactures bench test their engines nowdays. Its either Toyota or Subaru that do some engines for up to 300hrs. However i've always looked after my brakes because if your engine shits itself you will roll to a stop, but if your brakes fly apart you might not:thumbsup:

damo

Oval Newbie
My girl friend has a Polo 1.9 TDI and that will sit at 125 mph easily so I think the GTI should p*ss on this:cool:
Sorry KIRK for the bump but;

Dude whats the gilfriends Polo like was thinking about getting one for travel too and from work ?
Big donk ? sounds like it goes well,
Fuel consumption ?
All round car ?
Do you rate it :iono:

Felix

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW Golf GTI MK 5
I've done 240km/h in my GTI. 1500km on the odo..

bcze1

You people make me laugh
Remember that the engine is not the only part of the car being broken in. I'm not saying that I baby'd mine until 1,000 miles or anything. But I do think it makes sense to gradually push it harder and harder, including some top speed runs, through the first few hundred miles. The engine may be bench tested, but the tranny, diff, etc are not. But to each their own, drive it like its your car.

FYI speedo error is approx 6%. So if gauge says 140mph, you're doing closer to 130.

murcielagoGTR

Ready to race!
Car(s)
91 GTI
wow.....120's on the third day? that takes balls and a serious amount of disrespect for the new car.....you have to baby a new car.....i had mine 110 after about 2 or 3 weeks and about 1000 miles on the odo, but havent even hit a buck since.

hmm.... my buddy has a Lotus Elise, and says the factory even says to drive the car like how your planning to use it during the breakin period, bec the computer learns your habbits, style, etc.. and adjusts and remembers it...if you baby it during break in then decide to go to the track it may be lest responsive... if you run hard run it hard:thumbsup: ... BTW i went above the "century mark" w/ in the first 10 mins.... in my buddies car!!!:thumbup: (btw he runs a steady 110- a buck 40 on the interstate, so its ok:wink: )