GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Traded in my GTI for something else German...

Ryan T.

Passed Driver's Ed
So I've owned my 2011 GTI for about 3 years, and I've loved every second, but it was time for something new.

My GTI was a base SBM 2 door with DSG and an APR stage 2 with the TBE.

I recently traded it in on a 2014 BMW 328i xDrive. I thought I'd offer up some comparisons for those of you that might consider a BMW.

First, I'll say, this is not my first BMW - before the GTI I owned an '08 e90 335xi.

The specs on the new car are as follows:
328i xDrive Mineral Grey on Coral Red, 8 speed ZF Auto, M Sport Package, Premium Package, Navigation System with Enhanced BT, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, M Performance Black Kidney Grill

So it's fairly loaded, MSRP was around 51,400, paid approximately $46,400 before $500 BMW CCA rebate.

Exterior:
I think the GTI is a gorgeous car, but I can see how the BMW, especially with the M Sport, could be considered the more handsome car. Personally I think they both look great, and the Mineral Grey paint is awesome after a wash.

Interior:
GTI was tremendous in it's price range (about $24k when I bought my '11), but it can't hold a candle to the BMW. The new F30's materials, panel gap, solidity, etc. have all been markedly improved from the e90, and IMO, surpassed Audi. The sport seats are even better than the GTI's, which I couldn't believe.

Features:
My GTI was a base model so I didn't have too much in the way of amenities, so obviously the BMW with options like a 9" Navigation screen, 10 way power seats, adaptive headlights, push button start, etc is way beyond what I experienced in the GTI. I'm sure an Autobahn edition GTI would have closed that gap a little.

Performance:
Having previously owned a 335, I expected to buy that car in F30 trim when I went to the dealer. However, the new BMW 2.0L N20/N26 engine is a marvel. I really felt no need to pay the extra for the bigger engine after driving it. I'd estimate stock it is as quick as my Stg 2 GTI, and stock for stock it is much quicker. The power delivery isn't as exciting thanks to the 8 speed, but there's something to be said for smooth shifts as well. The ZF seems to shift just as quickly as the GTI as far as I can tell, but shifts quite a bit less hard. Putting the BMW into Sport+ mode firms up the shifts a little, but they still aren't as sharp as the GTIs.

Handling is a mixed bag. I liked the GTI's steering better, but the BMW being RWD based and near 50/50 weight distribution is obviously much better balanced. The BMW's suspension (especially with x Drive) is quite a bit softer than the GTI. I did this on purpose because of a relatively new, much longer commute I have every day.

Braking I feel both cars are adequate, with the nod probably going to the BMW if I had to pick. The brakes on the 328i aren't quite as strong as I remember them on the 335i.

Quality:
Both cars are very well made. I think the BMW is slightly more so, but a lot of that comes down to how much more expensive it is. Both cars feel decidedly German, and the attention to detail in both is awesome.

Value:
GTI definitely wins here. That's not to say I don't think the 328i is worth the $46k, I believe it is, I just think the GTI is more worth it's modest price tag. If you don't mind FWD and a little less refinement, the GTI is an awesome place to spend time and a great car to own.

If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to try and answer them.

A few pictures when I picked her up...all I've done since is add the M performance kidneys and had her Opti Coated.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
nice. they look so big now! congrats.

Ryan T.

Passed Driver's Ed
nice. they look so big now! congrats.

Yeah they really are baby 5-series' now. The weight still isn't bad w/ the 4 cylinder engine (~3300 lbs for RWD, ~3500 lbs for xDrive), but they're a bit porkier.

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Nice. that color combo is outstanding.

Just wondering, did you sample an xDrive 320? I prefer the feel of the 320 to the 328, but I've never driven xDrive versions of either.

Ryan T.

Passed Driver's Ed
Nice. that color combo is outstanding.

Just wondering, did you sample an xDrive 320? I prefer the feel of the 320 to the 328, but I've never driven xDrive versions of either.

I didn't - they didn't even have any in stock up here. They had 0 320s, about 2 335i models (neither with Sport/M Sport) and about 30 328s. So I guess we know what the volume seller is.

I'd imagine the 320 feels pretty similar to the 328 as it's the same car with a little less content and a detuned engine, but I can't say first hand.

CLapperhighs

Go Kart Champion
Love the color scheme! :thumbsup: Definitely a very nice car. But i loved the E90 335. Also, this makes me happy, that my little hatch is being compared to a $50K car. lol

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
I didn't - they didn't even have any in stock up here. They had 0 320s, about 2 335i models (neither with Sport/M Sport) and about 30 328s. So I guess we know what the volume seller is.

I'd imagine the 320 feels pretty similar to the 328 as it's the same car with a little less content and a detuned engine, but I can't say first hand.

Surprisingly, the 320 feels much more nimble than the 328. It seems to channel the BMWs of yore, while the 328 has gotten porkier and a bit softer. They definitely changed more than just the engine tuning, but it's hard to pin point what.

I figured there'd be a ton of 320's given the price. Interesting that it looks like 328's are in higher demand...or 320's sell really well (hence the rarity) and dealers are trying to push 328's for higher profits.

One more thing, did you consider a Cadillac ATS?

Regardless, I dig the car. Enjoy it.

titan253

Ready to race!
Congrats!

Other than the interior, what else steered you away from Audi? My girlfriend went through the same exercise (although she came from a Mazda3 haha) and we came away unimpressed with BMW, mostly due her feeling that the A4 was a better bang for your buck.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Great input;thanks! I rather the 328i than the 335i due price,weight and aut.gearbox & AWD option,just like yours.A car to check when eventually consider a Golf R.:clap:

Ryan T.

Passed Driver's Ed
Surprisingly, the 320 feels much more nimble than the 328. It seems to channel the BMWs of yore, while the 328 has gotten porkier and a bit softer. They definitely changed more than just the engine tuning, but it's hard to pin point what.

I figured there'd be a ton of 320's given the price. Interesting that it looks like 328's are in higher demand...or 320's sell really well (hence the rarity) and dealers are trying to push 328's for higher profits.

One more thing, did you consider a Cadillac ATS?

Regardless, I dig the car. Enjoy it.

Not really sure - it's also possible, with the relative newness of the 320, they just haven't started delivering as many to dealers yet. I know for next MY they're adding some more options to the 320 that people might have been demanding.

I didn't drive an ATS - exterior styling doesn't appeal to me at all. I've heard it's a great car though.

Congrats!

Other than the interior, what else steered you away from Audi? My girlfriend went through the same exercise (although she came from a Mazda3 haha) and we came away unimpressed with BMW, mostly due her feeling that the A4 was a better bang for your buck.

A4 was much slower, and didn't handle as well (much heavier up front) with a FWD bias rather than RWD.

I considered stepping up to an S4 (my MSRP was getting dangerously close to what you can pick one up for), which would have solved most of my complaints, but I don't need another HiPo car, I have a Mustang in the garage ;) And the gas mileage would not have been ideal for my 75 mile RT commute.

Up through the e90/92 generation I definitely agree with you though - the interiors were way better in Audis. That said, I have not sat in the "higher trim" Audis - A6 and up - so I can't comment there.

KO7

Ready to race!
Love the interior, those seats are gorgeous.

Your financial situation must have changed, as your loaded 328 is in an entirely different price range than your GTI, so congrats on the car and making more $$$$$. :D

Ryan T.

Passed Driver's Ed
Love the interior, those seats are gorgeous.

Your financial situation must have changed, as your loaded 328 is in an entirely different price range than your GTI, so congrats on the car and making more $$$$$. :D

Haha, I do make quite a bit more than I did 3 years ago, but I really wanted the GTI for the value it represented. I had also just bought my Mustang GT and didn't want to drop another $35k+ on a car :lol:

Lucky#Slevin

Go Kart Newbie
Review is spot on.. The f30 is a fantastic platform.. I was blown away when i first saw it and actually drove it.. I was never a fan of the 3 series bmw until this f30.. The 4 cylynder engine is this thing really is a marvel.. Thing absolutely flies when pushed but gives easily 30+ mpg city.. 8 speed zf auto is very similar to the dsg.. Lighting quick shifts.. Awesome interior also.. best interior i have ever seen in a car i could actually afford..

If anyone wants a nice upgrade this is def. it.. I wanted the alpine white with coral red but my wife hated the red.. (Her car not mine) (he drives on weekends and i love my gti!!)

TSI_Guy

Go Kart Champion
@LUCKY#SLEVIN IDK if it's just the pics but that red trim on the interior looks kinda tacky for a 40k+ car... You couldn't get a brushed aluminum trim or something along those lines?

I think a brushed aluminum trim with white stitching would've been killer.