GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Traded in my GTI for something else German...

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Nice pickup and nicely equipped. I agree, the 6cyl isn't really necessary now. Not all that quicker and much worse MPG. If my dealer had a well M Sport 4cyl on the lot I would have chosen it over my current 6cyl.

nomadic

Ready to race!
That's a sweet ride. I've test drove some 2011 328i's with low miles. And I thought they were pretty nice and loved the engine....not the low speed heavy steering so much. But those were mid $20's.
But holy crap...$46,400 for a 240hp/4 cyl.....that's hard to stomach..... especially after I eat black beans.

Ryan T.

Passed Driver's Ed
That's a sweet ride. I've test drove some 2011 328i's with low miles. And I thought they were pretty nice and loved the engine....not the low speed heavy steering so much. But those were mid $20's.
But holy crap...$46,400 for a 240hp/4 cyl.....that's hard to stomach..... especially after I eat black beans.

Yeah it is, until you drive it. I felt the same way. The engine is just perfectly tuned to the car/chassis and provides an awesome balance of performance and luxury. Unfortunately BMW is going even further upmarket with the 3, but at least they're backing it up with content.

220volt

Ready to race!
Great review Ryan. I drove F30 328x drive extensively and that thing blows me away every time I sit in it. I like it much better than E90 335i's or 328 E90's (haven't driven F30 335i yet). M Sport and tech package is a must of course. I would not consider F30 without it. That thick steering wheel and suspension is to die for. And of course you get the sport seats which 328i is pretty useless without. Those base seats are horrible IMO. Hard and no grip at all.

My comparison of 328i to GTI is that GTI is more fun and nimble while BMW is just effortless, more luxurious and smooth. Lot softer ride as well. BMW Sport mode vs GTI sports mode = BMW hands down. Much smoother and better designed. However, GTI had definitely better D mode and manual mode. I was underwhelmed with BMW's D drive. It feels sluggish compared to GTI. I assume you will never drive in Echo mode. if you will, my condolences.

The interior of the BMW is better, but not 20k better. I did not like that semi-hard plastic in 328i along side of the door and around the iDrive. The one that feels like alligator skin. It just felt cheap to me for 50k car. IDK, could be just me.

I agree with your value comment as well. I tested GTI's and 328's back to back many times and it was excruciatingly close to choose. Each car offered something great, but different. If BMW was only 5k more , there would be no contest, but for 20k more, I went with GTI. Even then it was close decision.

If I could only convince my wife to sell her Fusion and get 328 F30 so i can have both :happyanim:

Ryan T.

Passed Driver's Ed
Great review Ryan. I drove F30 328x drive extensively and that thing blows me away every time I sit in it. I like it much better than E90 335i's or 328 E90's (haven't driven F30 335i yet). M Sport and tech package is a must of course. I would not consider F30 without it. That thick steering wheel and suspension is to die for. And of course you get the sport seats which 328i is pretty useless without. Those base seats are horrible IMO. Hard and no grip at all.

My comparison of 328i to GTI is that GTI is more fun and nimble while BMW is just effortless, more luxurious and smooth. Lot softer ride as well. BMW Sport mode vs GTI sports mode = BMW hands down. Much smoother and better designed. However, GTI had definitely better D mode and manual mode. I was underwhelmed with BMW's D drive. It feels sluggish compared to GTI. I assume you will never drive in Echo mode. if you will, my condolences.

The interior of the BMW is better, but not 20k better. I did not like that semi-hard plastic in 328i along side of the door and around the iDrive. The one that feels like alligator skin. It just felt cheap to me for 50k car. IDK, could be just me.

I agree with your value comment as well. I tested GTI's and 328's back to back many times and it was excruciatingly close to choose. Each car offered something great, but different. If BMW was only 5k more , there would be no contest, but for 20k more, I went with GTI. Even then it was close decision.

If I could only convince my wife to sell her Fusion and get 328 F30 so i can have both :happyanim:

I pretty much agree - it's likely not 20k-25k better, but I think with any luxury ride there's always a point of diminishing returns. Is a Ferrari 5x better than an M3? And of course there's always a bit of a tax for the BMW cachet.

That said, you can't go wrong with either car, as long as you're comfortable and it's worth it to you.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Nice review. Well done.

220volt

Ready to race!

BP11

Banned
Great car, hugely overpriced. Will wait until 3-4 years old to purchase for its actual value. For $40k I wouldn't hesitate to buy a CPO S4.

Ryan T.

Passed Driver's Ed
Great car, hugely overpriced. Will wait until 3-4 years old to purchase for its actual value. For $40k I wouldn't hesitate to buy a CPO S4.

Eh I've done the used German thing again. Not my idea of fun unless you get lucky. Definitely better value though.

Lucky#Slevin

Go Kart Newbie
@LUCKY#SLEVIN IDK if it's just the pics but that red trim on the interior looks kinda tacky for a 40k+ car... You couldn't get a brushed aluminum trim or something along those lines?

I think a brushed aluminum trim with white stitching would've been killer.

i couldn't disagree more with you more.. its the sport line which features 18" machined gunmetal wheels, red stitching, gloss piano black trim outside for mirrors, front grill and rear bumper accent, inside piano black with red line across the dash... i love it

do you not have red stitching / accents on your gti??

Lucky#Slevin

Go Kart Newbie

if you drove the car i believe you would feel differently. car is awesome, best car i have ever owned period. it is the ultimate driving machine :thumbsup:

BP11

Banned
if you drove the car i believe you would feel differently. car is awesome, best car i have ever owned period. it is the ultimate driving machine :thumbsup:

I have driven both the auto and the manual version. It's nice, but not $40k nice. Enjoy your purchase, roundel fanboi

Edit: Just spec'd one out on the BMW website and to get options similar to my autobahn GTI (nav, heated seats, sunroof, keyless entry etc) it's damn near/pushing $50k.... holy fuck. PASS!

Last edited:

rich337

Ready to race!

BMW and "value" just don't go together :D