GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TTRS Brembo Upgrade Info

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Got them today! So I have everything I need I guess, though I would need to get some brake fluid for the bleeding. But like I said earlier I’m going to wait to install these.

Funny thing is my wife is out of town with my son until Sunday and I have the day off tomorrow so it would have been a perfect day to install tomorrow…🤷🏻‍♂️

View attachment 283331

These brakes still sitting in a box in your garage?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I’m at 3 sets of wheels now that where coated and then taken to the shop for are tire mounting and balancing (a discount tire & and smaller tuner shop) and my experience has been the same - zero issue sticking to ceramic coated wheel… I’d Lean to either it’s a oil/wax based product or the Amazon special weights that are the real issue.

Also in regards to stickers and ceramics, I’ve also seen PPF and wraps go over ceramics and plenty of reports that removal took the same effort as it all properly adhered…

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Also in regards to stickers and ceramics, I’ve also seen PPF and wraps go over ceramics and plenty of reports that removal took the same effort as it all properly adhered…
This 100 times. Optimum doesn't recommend coating before PPF, but the reason is that it is not needed, as the PPF protects the paint. But if the customer want the paint coating before PPF, it is done and it will not affect the warranty of the PPF.

I guarantee the wheels coating for 1 year, and I think I did around 50 in the 2 years I had my business, almost all of them before installing tires on and some that the owner removed the weights so they could be coated. Not a single one came and complained about wheels not sticking or falling off.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
I’m at 3 sets of wheels now that where coated and then taken to the shop for are tire mounting and balancing (a discount tire & and smaller tuner shop) and my experience has been the same - zero issue sticking to ceramic coated wheel… I’d Lean to either it’s a oil/wax based product or the Amazon special weights that are the real issue.

There was a topic about wheel weights falling off before (though not specifically about ceramic coating) and I covered it there that the main problems are either shitty weights (super common) or improper prep (even more common):
https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/wheel-weights.422369/post-7959395

My OEM wheels were ceramic coated barrels and all, and never had an issue with proper cleaning and weights that aren't trash.

Many places skimp on the weight quality because the cost of GOOD weights is a lot to swallow when Amazon is flooded with garbage at 1/3 the cost. Like I said in that post, I've thrown away about $80 worth of various wheel weights before I found a type that doesn't suck.

A 9lb box of decent weights costs $33, or $0.48 per oz.

Really damn nice weights are closer to $0.75/oz. (Steel Quikstik)

Most of the cheap shit on Amazon works out to about $0.25 per oz.

For comparison, one of the nicest wheel weight systems is the 3M one, where it's a continuous roll cut to length depending on what you need. In theory no weights get wasted (if your machine is accurate the first time at least). Also a few different shapes mean you can stock every type of "clip on" weight as well (they stick on as well).

But a 20lb roll is $400. Or $1.25 per oz.
https://www.collisionservices.com/product/3m-wheel-weight-6mm-x-29mm-20-lb-roll-99473

Very few places use those, Carmax did at one point but not sure/doubt they do now because it is pricy stuff.

How well stuff sticks is 100% dependent on the weights used and prep more than anything else.

Fun fact: If you have brake fluid soak a wheel, I'm not sure you'll ever get anything to stick again. Had a funny instance years ago when a 3M representative came out to demonstrate their weight system... they asked for a wheel to use. Guy I worked with grabbed one off the car he was working on, and nothing would stick to it. Cleaned with brake clean, etc and their special cleaning prep stuff, nothing. Was pretty funny watching this person panic as 10 techs are watching this expensive ass system not work. 🤣 Later discovered it was from a car that had a caliper fail and absolutely soaked everything for several days prior to this happening.

Last edited:

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Finally mounted up my new race wheelset. The Apex 18x9s have so much clearance on these brakes, it’s refreshing.

IMG_3947.jpeg

IMG_3948.jpeg

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
First real autocross event with these brakes.

Yeah overall, my stock ones were fine. But these have been noticeably different in the on/off of my braking. Today I was clearly trying to brake later, and harder, than I had been before. The bite was very aggressive, and overall I’m happy. They’ll work great for me, and I’m still a sucker for things that look good, and these do just that.

IMG_3969.jpeg

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
still loving mine. Might be coming into an ST-40 kit so I'll have to see which one I want to run....leaning towards sticking with TTRS

Reactions: krs

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
still loving mine. Might be coming into an ST-40 kit so I'll have to see which one I want to run....leaning towards sticking with TTRS
If you're gonna stick w/the TTRS kit, lemme know. Might want that ST40 kit from you