GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ukraine: WAR Huh - What Is It Good For Absorootly Nothing

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

cb1111

Interesting podcast, I've gone back to listen to some other ones.
Yes, some of the others are good too.

Adding a bit of car talk Russian Auto Industry Hit So Hard It's Reviving an 11-Year-Old Lada with 1990s Tech (msn.com) Car sales down 83% and they are building an airbag-less car that meets 1996 European standards - and remember that in the 90's, it was still possible to buy leaded gas in Europe - unleaded wasn't introduced until 1986 (1974 in the US), and Europe was behind the US until the late 90's when it surpassed the US. The car is also lacking ABS, ESP and seatbelt pretensioners. What else do we see missing in this picture?

1655259578863.png

There are reports that it includes a harmonica

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Yes, some of the others are good too.

Adding a bit of car talk Russian Auto Industry Hit So Hard It's Reviving an 11-Year-Old Lada with 1990s Tech (msn.com) Car sales down 83% and they are building an airbag-less car that meets 1996 European standards - and remember that in the 90's, it was still possible to buy leaded gas in Europe - unleaded wasn't introduced until 1986 (1974 in the US), and Europe was behind the US until the late 90's when it surpassed the US. The car is also lacking ABS, ESP and seatbelt pretensioners. What else do we see missing in this picture?

View attachment 252555

There are reports that it includes a harmonica
Also any sort of entertainment center.

I'm reminded of something......

cb1111

US sending Ukraine new $1 billion arms package amid grinding Donbas fight (defensenews.com)

I've never served so someone please explain this to me. Why is NATO nickel and diming this war? A protracted war only benefits Russia. The US has given, what, $50B in arms? Why are they not getting to where they need to be? This is evolving into the next Afghantistan.
Far worse. Early on in thread, I posted an article by Dan Hoffman who was chief of station in Moscow. His prediction was that Moscow's goal was to flatten Ukraine - and they are doing that.
Lavrov: Russia is not squeaky clean and not ashamed (msn.com)
The problem is that as a bully they only understand force - and will keep going until the free world stands up to them.
In other news
Huge inferno erupts at Russia's biggest pipeline in latest mystery fire to hit country (msn.com)
Netherlands says Russian spy caught seeking war crimes court internship | Reuters

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Far worse. Early on in thread, I posted an article by Dan Hoffman who was chief of station in Moscow. His prediction was that Moscow's goal was to flatten Ukraine - and they are doing that.
Lavrov: Russia is not squeaky clean and not ashamed (msn.com)
The problem is that as a bully they only understand force - and will keep going until the free world stands up to them.
In other news

Huge inferno erupts at Russia's biggest pipeline in latest mystery fire to hit country (msn.com)
Netherlands says Russian spy caught seeking war crimes court internship | Reuters

Anybody who has a interest in world politics & Machiavellian machinations, would have come to the obvious conclusion that as Ukraine was more "western" & doing better than Russia, & was previously Russia's industrial & food hub, & therefore one of the biggest industrial & food hubs in Europe...that made it a target for Russia to try take it & if not to then destroy it.......the spoilt brat "If I can't have it, neither can anybody else" attitude...

NATO, UN, EU have all stood back & reacted way too late...many because they rely too much on Russia for various commodities....

If we'd have gone in as was requested by Ukraine in the first week & basically shot any Russian stuff out the air & on the ground, that was inside the boundaries of Ukraine as per the 1994 Budapest memorandum (ignore Crimea for the moment)....that might have shortened the war....or ramped it up to what Putin really wants & has been sabre rattling for since ......WW3 with the west.....instead its going to very long & protracted...& will continue to affect world wide commodities prices for the next few years...

Last edited:

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Appeasement doesn't work.

Arming your allies for a proxy conflict doesn't work.

Actively landing troops and resources might work, or it might result in the world being set on fire.

These aren't great options.

cb1111

Anybody who has a interest in world politics & Machiavellian machinations, would have come to the obvious conclusion that as Ukraine was more "western" & doing better than Russia, & was previously Russia's industrial & food hub, & therefore one of the biggest industrial & food hubs in Europe...that made it a target for Russia to try take it & if not to then destroy it.......the spoilt brat "If I can't have it, neither can anybody else" attitude...

NATO, UN, EU have all stood back & reacted way too late...many because they rely too much on Russia for various commodities....

If we'd have gone in as was requested by Ukraine in the first week & basically shot any Russian stuff out the air & on the ground, that was inside the boundaries of Ukraine as per the 1994 Budapest memorandum (ignore Crimea for the moment)....that might have shortened the war....or ramped it up to what Putin really wants & has been sabre rattling for since ......WW3 with the west.....instead its going to very long & protracted...& will continue to affect world wide commodities prices for the next few years...
Hence a legit reason for razing it to the ground - at least in Putin's brain

cb1111

Actively landing troops and resources might work, or it might result in the world being set on fire.

But doing nothing (or little) is the worst option.

cb1111

But doing nothing (or little) is the worst option.
And then I see this today

Why fear of provoking Putin is the most provocative policy of all - Atlantic Council

More Ukraine thoughts

How NATO can stick together and keep the pressure on Russia, according to four former Alliance chiefs - Atlantic Council

The Ukraine war is giving Europe a chance to reset ties with Africa - Atlantic Council

A bit of stating the obvious Lithuanian PM: Russia ‘keeps on proving we were right’ - Atlantic Council

Unholy War: UK sanctions Putin's Patriarch for backing Ukraine invasion - Atlantic Council

And a list of what countries gave what in relation to what they promised

1655559306207.png