GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ukraine: WAR Huh - What Is It Good For Absorootly Nothing

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
On the flip side, if Putin were to invade a NATO ally, then the US should treat it like an invasion of Alaska. We should absolutely send troops, repel the invaders and fulfill our treaty obligations to the letter.
If the US, or any NATO country for that matter, chooses to ignore, or feebly support Article 5, then NATO is rendered useless, and this conflict will only be the beginning.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Corprin, I think you have asked an important question. What should the US be doing regarding the Russian invasion of Ukraine?

I agree that our recent extended wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have made US troops on the ground in Ukraine a very unpalatable proposition with the American people, especially for a non-NATO country. Outside of obligatory sanctions and equipment support, I don't see the US getting involved. And Europe should think long and hard about appropriate levels of defense spending, especially our NATO allies.

On the flip side, if Putin were to invade a NATO ally, then the US should treat it like an invasion of Alaska. We should absolutely send troops, repel the invaders and fulfill our treaty obligations to the letter.

Corprin, I have a new level of respect for you based on hearing about your background. I may not always agree with your positions, but, I think I have a better understanding of where you are coming from.

I’m still waiting for another member that was also called out to mention his résumé 🤣

What do I think the US should do? Well knee jerk is to wipe the Ukrainian map of the invaders, but I know that’s a bad plan on the global stage. I am happy we are sending in munitions, and humanitarian aid, and crushing their financial systems. I also think we should cut off our contacts in Russian oil, but Americans will cry too much about their gas going up $0.11, not realizing the price hikes are due to out of control profiteering not the price of a barrel. I also think we could be doing more on the psychological operations front in Ukraine, Belarus, and Russia, but that is also an iffy subject…. If we are not already.

I think our hands are pretty well tied on this one. The EU however, I think they should see this all as a threat on their own sovereignties, and support in a more military sense. I think this is starting now with the transfer of fighters and bombers into their fleet. Javs/NLAWs and Stingers are nice to have, but let’s get them some real hurt.. joint standoff munitions, sensor fused weapons, etc.

I find it sad that we just scrapped the last F-111s we got back from the RAAF. A lend lease or full gifting to Ukraine, loaded with some of our fancy toys would have been a solid hit on their armor and IAD network. I also hope we are sitting some of their aircrews down for some solid learning on Wild Weasel operations.

Sadly there is little we can do beyond what we are doing already.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
If the US, or any NATO country for that matter, chooses to ignore, or feebly support Article 5, then NATO is rendered useless, and this conflict will only be the beginning.

NATO won’t not defend NATO, that’s why the level of force minutes of Russian soil is there. Putin knows this, and is why he is picking on the non-member states. He’s smart, just insane.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
not realizing the price hikes are due to out of control profiteering not the price of a barrel.

You were doing fine until right here. Of course there are crazy profits being made on the oil that's already above ground. It's a market. You know that. Profiteering isn't driving prices higher, fear and demand are. This administration is so TDS infected that it cannot do what's right for the country. Current US oil output is ~11.7Mbbl/day. The pre-pandemic peak was around 13.4Mbbl/day, with a capacity of 15. Take off all of the chains Biden put on, crank it to 15, sell it to ourselves and to our NATO partners that are currently buying Russian oil. Prices won't stabilize quickly but it sure as hell beats doing nothing.

Gas in my area is up 50 cents/gal, and heating oil is up $1/gal, in the past two weeks.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
You were doing fine until right here. Of course there are crazy profits being made on the oil that's already above ground. It's a market. You know that. Profiteering isn't driving prices higher, fear and demand are. This administration is so TDS infected that it cannot do what's right for the country. Current US oil output is ~11.7Mbbl/day. The pre-pandemic peak was around 13.4Mbbl/day, with a capacity of 15. Take off all of the chains Biden put on, crank it to 15, sell it to ourselves and to our NATO partners that are currently buying Russian oil. Prices won't stabilize quickly but it sure as hell beats doing nothing.

Gas in my area is up 50 cents/gal, and heating oil is up $1/gal, in the past two weeks.

Seriously, I often wonder how the world rolls it’s eyes when Americans complain about paying 0.96 euro for a liter of gas. But we are starting to tangent into domestic debates, and for that I’m sorry. I think we should cut off Russian oil to the US in order to dig at their economy more. I also believe we should not reopen exploitation of our public lands to keep the price of gas down, but that’s domestic policy again.

My 92 octane was $3.79 today. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Seriously, I often wonder how the world rolls it’s eyes when Americans complain about paying 0.96 euro for a liter of gas. But we are starting to tangent into domestic debates, and for that I’m sorry. I think we should cut off Russian oil to the US in order to dig at their economy more. I also believe we should not reopen exploitation of our public lands to keep the price of gas down, but that’s domestic policy again.

I think the administration dipping into the strategic reserve is a step towards doing so.

but yeah veering off course.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion

But it's not just gas. That's a very myopic view. It's diesel fuel, which powers our distribution network. It's fuel oil and natural gas, which generates electricity and heats our homes. Heating oil prices have doubled this heating season in my area. I am very lucky that we have a long term relationship with our heating oil supplier, which is willing to drop small loads, 125 gallons or so. That small drop costs over $500. This is not a trivial increase.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

Oil companies aren't constrained by Biden, that's pure political nonsense.

Oil companies for months have been REFUSING to increase production, because they wanted "price stability", translation, the high prices equal high profits.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
no nose art no care

Trivial point: the shark teeth are unique to the 74th 75th and 76th fighter squadrons, because of their assignment and liniage with the 23rd Fighter Group, “Flying Tigers” of WW2 fame. By USAF regulation they are the only unit allowed to run that livery.

Other A10 squadrons get snakes and pigs… but only one group gets shark teeth.

Source: I knows a guy.