GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Understanding the MK7 PCV function, retrofitting the MK8 PCV, and why catch cans are bullshit(IMO)

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Just ordered the parts. Already signed up for track days at the same track that I was black flagged, so well see if these work. I'm waitlisted for Sept but will definitely be there in Oct.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Just ordered the parts. Already signed up for track days at the same track that I was black flagged, so well see if these work. I'm waitlisted for Sept but will definitely be there in Oct.

Consider getting a Maccina A0 dongle to run Simos Tools at least for a few sessions for knock and better engine data.

(I know you normally run Trackaddict or something - if you don’t buy an A0, consider trying Racechrono as you can log several useful things more than what you’re doing now as it allows custom parameters).

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Consider getting a Maccina A0 dongle to run Simos Tools at least for a few sessions for knock and better engine data.

(I know you normally run Trackaddict or something - if you don’t buy an A0, consider trying Racechrono as you can log several useful things more than what you’re doing now as it allows custom parameters).
Yeah. I tried to add oil temp at least and it wasn't even an option. Not sure if that's a limitation of my cheap obd reader or Trackaddict.

SierraCarrera

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Sport, 981 CS
Just another anecdote but I can confirm that my ECS catch can didn't do squat to stop the puffs on right handers. I'll have to try out this MK8 retrofit soon.

Last edited:

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Glad to see this is gaining some traction, will be good to get some other samples out there to figure out if it's a solution for all or if there are some limitations.

Just to keep updated, unfortunately the 034 TMD was not actually in stock... 034's inventory was apparently off so I was told to expect the order to be fulfilled ~2 weeks from now. Currently sounding like I might be running it with the extra hose capped for Fastivus at the end of this month. I will definitely need some time to test it, and want to piece together a sensor to monitor crankcase pressures in all configurations to directly datalog within SimosTools along with all the other engine parameters. I've got the parts to do it, just need to find the time while I'm working on a bunch of other things as well currently.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Just curious. I was going to do spark plugs & figured good time to do the PCV. I watched the FCP Euro video, but figured this is a little different. I am mechanically challenged.

Can you write a step by step or a video on how to change out to the MK8 PCV

Maybe something I can't do, but seems pretty easy.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Just curious. I was going to do spark plugs & figured good time to do the PCV. I watched the FCP Euro video, but figured this is a little different. I am mechanically challenged.

Yea, shouldn't be too hard of an install, though I might give a shot at doing a a DIY video when I get the parts in. I got enough fancy cameras and such.

scrllock

Autocross Champion

Unbolt coil packs #3/4, remove. Pull TIP hose off pipe. Buy a set of hose clamp pliers. Remove hose clamp from N75 end of the N75-PCV hose. Using a T30, remove all of the screws on the stock PCV. Pull it up and off the head. Make sure your area is clean so nothing gets in and scores your cam journals.

Typically the N75 hose has an ear clamp attaching it to the PCV, so if I can't remove it without damaging the hose, I buy a new hose. Attach the hose with the arrow pointing towards the PCV, clamp it on. Squeeze the sides of the PCV end of the new TIP hose, maybe apply some oil to the o-ring and push it onto the PCV. Push the bung onto the top of the PCV such that the false connector points to the rear of the car. If you're reusing the PCV gasket or applying a new one, make sure it's got some oil on it and no hair or dirt. Put it back onto the head, move it around a bit so that it settles into place. Feed the TIP hose over the top of the coolant line, under the coil pack harness. Lightly start screwing each T30 screw until they're all starting to seat. Torque them to 9n-m, in this order:

Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 11.28.46 AM.png

Then attach the N75 hose, I'll put a dab of oil or spray a bit of silicone lube in to get it on easier. Make sure the clamps are attached. Lube up the o-ring on the TIP end of that hose, push it onto the TIP while squeezing the side tabs. Push a 3/8" vacuum cap onto the exposed nub at the TIP end. Re-install coil packs, done.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Thanks. I found a site for what looked like OEM for 65.00 but they were out of stock. FCP was the first place I checked.. I thought it was odd they didn't have it. ECS has it but for around 185.00
Keep emailing them and asking. Once enough people ask they'll add it to the catalog. The cars themselves are still new and under warranty, so they're not getting much interest yet.