GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Understanding the MK7 PCV function, retrofitting the MK8 PCV, and why catch cans are bullshit(IMO)

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
oempartsonline wanted my car's VIN before shipping, I had to message them and ask they JUST SEND THE DAMN PART. Now I have a tracking number lol.
That's weird. I think it's an optional entry. Didn't have to put one

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
Nice work on this! Just ordered everything, hopefully can run it at watkins in a month.

Looking fwd to 034 TMD results as well, interested in going that route if it improves things further.

What’s the ID of the (removed) hose? Gonna order the right fitting for it along with the TMD.

Last edited:

GoatAutomotive

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE, DSG
Just curious. I was going to do spark plugs & figured good time to do the PCV. I watched the FCP Euro video, but figured this is a little different. I am mechanically challenged.

Can you write a step by step or a video on how to change out to the MK8 PCV

Maybe something I can't do, but seems pretty easy.
Samerrrrr! I am so sorry, friend.

If I'd known, I would have had you bring this to the shop and I'd knock it out with you in short order.

It would have been a great opportunity for both of us (since I'm too broke to do any further car upgrades until 2024, I could have lived and learned this one through you!)

Plus I STILL have never ridden in your setup (IS38 on coilovers).

Call or text me if you ever need car help, and I'll do anything I can to get you fixed up.

Even if I'm unavailable for some reason, I can usually steer you to the right people (if it's here in Cen-Tex).

Tony (Derhase) is also fantastic if you reach out to him via FB Messenger. 🍺 ✌️ ❤️

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Samerrrrr! I am so sorry, friend.

If I'd known, I would have had you bring this to the shop and I'd knock it out with you in short order.

It would have been a great opportunity for both of us (since I'm too broke to do any further car upgrades until 2024, I could have lived and learned this one through you!)

Plus I STILL have never ridden in your setup (IS38 on coilovers).

Call or text me if you ever need car help, and I'll do anything I can to get you fixed up.

Even if I'm unavailable for some reason, I can usually steer you to the right people (if it's here in Cen-Tex).

Tony (Derhase) is also fantastic if you reach out to him via FB Messenger. 🍺 ✌️ ❤️
Thanks for the offer.

Might still take you up on it as I still haven't done it.

Normally have Brink do everything, but I like to do little things as a stepping stone.

Of course I have the terrible trifecta of:
Analysis paralysis
OCD
Procrastination

Not a good combination for fixing stuff

Edit: just let me know and we can meet at Like Creek. Usually free during the morning

Last edited:

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
I have been having an issue with sucking oil into the intake tip through the PVC (with the BL revision) and I even have a small puddle of oil on top of the valve cover. So I ordered everything on the list to see if this alleviates the issue. I've been sitting at my 36psi map for about 2k miles.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
I have been having an issue with sucking oil into the intake tip through the PVC (with the BL revision) and I even have a small puddle of oil on top of the valve cover. So I ordered everything on the list to see if this alleviates the issue. I've been sitting at my 36psi map for about 2k miles.

I'll be curious how it works on a bigger turbo. (y)

I'd be very interested to see the results of the mk8 PCV on the 2.0T, personally I'm not heavily modified BUT I'm curious about it as preventative maintenance/an OEM+ upgrade to avoid headaches down the line.

I've had it installed for a while now with initial results being good at an autocross. Might be easier to unpack everything here:
https://www.datadrivenmqb.com/drivetrain/pcvtechtalk

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
I wonder if the purpose of the sensor port to throw a code when the PVC starts to fail.

From what I understand, that's exactly what it's for. I wonder if there were some MK7/7.5 engine failures under warranty that could have been prevented if PCV failure were detected sooner. For example: check valve #1 failure can pressurize the crankcase under boost, but would be undetectable at idle and wouldn't set any CELs, etc. I imagine aside from leaks, it would have the potential to gum up the rings leading to even further oil/compression loss.

1694647483526.png

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
From what I understand, that's exactly what it's for. I wonder if there were some MK7/7.5 engine failures under warranty that could have been prevented if PCV failure were detected sooner. For example: check valve #1 failure can pressurize the crankcase under boost, but would be undetectable at idle and wouldn't set any CELs, etc. I imagine aside from leaks, it would have the potential to gum up the rings leading to even further oil/compression loss.

View attachment 290562
That would be a great feature to have instead of guessing. I wonder if we can code that in?

Klrider44

Go Kart Champion
Any pics of where you’re pushing out the oil, I’m curious.