GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VAG-COM — Torque Steer Compensation (update: it works!)

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
wonder if this works for the MKV as well...

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
i wonder if it does, I may have to try to scan a friend's car. I know the mk5 i couldn't adjust the brake grab like we could on the mk6

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Good find!! I haven't had a lot of issues with torque steer but I am going stage 2 soon. Definitely check this out.

although I did induce some wheel hop (arg!). I was trying to maximize the torque steer effect. I did not have my hands on the wheel at all.

I would recommend getting under your car and checking your CV boots after a few hundred miles or so. LOL I found a ripped boot after only around 500 miles after one instance of wheel hop with XDS at 2.

If this works with K04 and higher than half the argument against high HP FWD is shot down.....and the rest is just knowing how to use an accelerator pedal. :D

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
I would recommend getting under your car and checking your CV boots after a few hundred miles or so. LOL I found a ripped boot after only around 500 miles after one instance of wheel hop with XDS at 2.

If this works with K04 and higher than half the argument against high HP FWD is shot down.....and the rest is just knowing how to use an accelerator pedal. :D

Eeek! I'll peek at my boot when I do my upcoming brake job/upgrade.

Regarding K04, that's exactly what I was thinking. It's not a big deal on my stage 1 (although it's nice), but I'll be curious to see what happens is somebody with some real power tries this.

Did my 35 mile commute this morning, and I'm beginning to become relatively convinced there is no additional steering vagueness induced with this. I can't see the down side yet.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Oh fun, new vagcom settings to toy with! I've been getting some good torque steer too when I pound on 1st and 2nd now that its summer and I get some grip with the warmer temps!

Subbed for more info and tests...

I did this yesterday as well, no negative side effects to mention, but I haven't REALLY tested it yet. Nice to know it's there though.

cwGTIautobahn

Ready to race!
sub'd

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
If you want to rid of torque steer you want to retrofit equal length drive shafts.

Torque seer wasn't enough to bug me as it was (it's not bad in this car), and this is free. :thumbsup:

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
Interested but not yet convinced. I do have more tq steer with stage 2 in some situations though. Automobile mag did a story on the new focus st and talked about torque steer programming. Guess gti has it too?

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
A couple of GTI/Scirocco/Octavia owners have already done this conversion based on OEM parts based
my idea.
Keep in mind also the Volkswagen Motorsport (GTI 24h + Scirocco R Cup) and Seat Leon race cars have
these drive shafts.
Early Mk.V GTI and 2.0 TDI models have had this from factory. Current S3 and TT models might still have
this (I don't exactly know about it).

advantages:

- increased traction
- less torque steer
- much more clearence passenger side drive shaft to frame when lowered - see picture

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Extremely interesting both finds.I saw the shaft mod before but didn't know it could be done with oem parts..Bruce:do you have this hardware mod in your car?any disadvantage on daily driving?
A couple of GTI/Scirocco/Octavia owners have already done this conversion based on OEM parts based
my idea.
Keep in mind also the Volkswagen Motorsport (GTI 24h + Scirocco R Cup) and Seat Leon race cars have
these drive shafts.
Early Mk.V GTI and 2.0 TDI models have had this from factory. Current S3 and TT models might still have

advantages:

- increased traction
- less torque steer
- much more clearence passenger side drive shaft to frame when lowered - see picture

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
my idea.
these drive shafts.

advantages:

- increased traction
- less torque steer

So that's really cool, no doubt. :thumbsup:

What does it cost to pull off that kind of conversion? Are you on your own to fab it, or can you buy stuff that the average competent DIYer can put together? Either way, very cool.