GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VAG-COM — Torque Steer Compensation (update: it works!)

P

plac

This would be a mod for anyone that is really bored and has no mods left to do. Because our car doesn't have any noticeable torque steer anyway. How often to do drive with no hands on the wheel..

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
This would be a mod for anyone that is really bored and has no mods left to do. Because our car doesn't have any noticeable torque steer anyway. How often to do drive with no hands on the wheel..

I assume you mean the drive shaft mod, right? Yeah, the TCS tweak takes away what tiny bit of torque steer there was. Still curious about what the bruce is talking about, even though I'd never get it.

P

plac

I assume you mean the drive shaft mod, right? Yeah, the TCS tweak takes away what tiny bit of torque steer there was. Still curious about what the bruce is talking about, even though I'd never get it.

ya.. a lot of money and work for something that isnt even needed.. and you are adding more weak points to the drivetrain. 1 axle is more reliable than 2 bolted together, and there is always a weak point there.

but the vagcom mod is pretty cool.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
This would be a mod for anyone that is really bored and has no mods left to do.

So you're setting up to do it next week? ;) :D

Because our car doesn't have any noticeable torque steer anyway. How often to do drive with no hands on the wheel..

Really bad torque steer pulls the wheel OUT of your hands though. However, like you said, not really that big of an issue in our cars. Although it might come in handy for the Stage 3+ guys. :D

The biggest reason to mod the axles is for those super low guys as bruce mentioned. Be a lot better to swap in this axle mod than to hack apart the frame to your car and ride around in a rolling death trap.

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
Does anyone know why this was just now discovered? I plan on trying it out

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Not necessarily equal length is needed though, all you need to do is balance the torsional stiffness of the drive shaft, which may or may be possible based on packaging space.

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
This tweak works! Why does vw not activate all of this cool shite?!!

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
This tweak works! Why does vw not activate all of this cool shite?!!

I think because it's probably really not needed at stock power levels.

Works great for tuned cars though. :thumbsup:

IIRC my MkV had something that counteracted wind gusts to keep the car straight on really windy days. I do not believe the 6 has this but is it possible that this is the same type of module/feature?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
Now that I've had a chance to test this for awhile I do think that steering feel is a tad lighter in this setting. I personally like the overall lighter feel and it definitely gets rid of tq steer! Now I need new tires to eliminate tire spin and this car will be fantastic.

I'm waiting for the APR Stage 3 guy I work with to try this out and hear his thoughts.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Extremely interesting both finds.I saw the shaft mod before but didn't know it could be done with oem parts..Bruce:do you have this hardware mod in your car?any disadvantage on daily driving?

Both no. I don't have it and I won't get it unless there are advantages and
I didn't see any disadvantages at all beyond the cost.
I just had the idea some years ago when I read the Volkswagen SSP.
Last year I wrote about this on some forum and we looked for the right parts.
There are some forum mates who have finished this conversion.

So that's really cool, no doubt. :thumbsup:

What does it cost to pull off that kind of conversion? Are you on your own to fab it, or can you buy stuff that the average competent DIYer can put together? Either way, very cool.

You should be on the more experienced side of "average". :D

ya.. a lot of money and work for something that isnt even needed.. and you are adding more weak points to the drivetrain. 1 axle is more reliable than 2 bolted together, and there is always a weak point there.

These parts come from factory with the biggest engines and are prooven in racing.
Why should they fail?

The biggest reason to mod the axles is for those super low guys as bruce mentioned. Be a lot better to swap in this axle mod than to hack apart the frame to your car and ride around in a rolling death trap.

To be honest that's why most guys do this. :cry:

VW and Audi developed the "split solution" for better driving. Many owner will do it for one reason:

MOAR LOW.

:D

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion
axle knock annoys me and I'm not even that low...the problem with the conversion is going to be getting replacement parts if they aren't readily available in the US...when some goes to the track and snaps a short shaft....they can't drive their car for a month or two until a replacement comes in

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
did this last night via VCDS - noticed a difference already. Car seems to put down the power better straight line and in turns. Of note, I usually don't trip the ESP light ever, but did get it to come on once. Overall, I think this is good and will stay with it set this way.