GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wagner Tuning Intercooler

DXJP

Passed Driver's Ed
It's not that bad. Front bumper, impact beam( need to support the core for this) then slip the AC condenser out but leave it attached to the lines( there's room to sweep it away). Then there are two big clips you need to pinch to pull the core support off the rad/inter cooler. The core needs a small corner cut or filed to clear, and one tab on the AC condenser needs to be trimmed. After that mark and drill the top two tabs on the AC condenser, snap the new cooler on, put the AC condenser on, then reinstall the core support. Return the bumper and stuff, hook up the supplied hoses.

I skimmed the destructions and had it done in about 1:45 min. Someone with less skill can do it with a 6pack and a afternoon, with just a few tools. There's pop ups and pics in the instructions

Obviously it weighs more than stock but the tanks and core are really nice work. For a stealth performer you can't go wrong. I know some people might question the location being behind the condenser, but as soon as you get air flow over it the AC gas will chill, and help bring temps down.

Sailor737

Ready to race!
Is it in the same location as the OEM one? Are the twincoolers more efficient than getting this upgrade? I contacted Wagner and they said they are in stock and can get drop shipped straight from Germany for no extra fee. I wonder how much a shop would charge to install it? Probably not just a six pack

DXJP

Passed Driver's Ed
Same location. Yeah I got mine out of the UK as the states was on back order. This is just my opinion about the twin coolers, but the stock one is pretty small, and heat soak is a issue I'm sure. With that the extra cooler has to work to cool both streams of air coming into the TB. Your going to be almost there installing one thats hanging in front why not just drop the Wagner in and be done. I think a shop would charge flat rate so tell them 3 hours and see what they say for labor.

Sailor737

Ready to race!
Same location. Yeah I got mine out of the UK as the states was on back order. This is just my opinion about the twin coolers, but the stock one is pretty small, and heat soak is a issue I'm sure. With that the extra cooler has to work to cool both streams of air coming into the TB. Your going to be almost there installing one thats hanging in front why not just drop the Wagner in and be done. I think a shop would charge flat rate so tell them 3 hours and see what they say for labor.

Thanks DXJP

Demon tweaked

Passed Driver's Ed
Have a few friends running these and their feedback is very positive. Would be interesting to compare to the CTS cooler but I dont seem to see much info online about it (size specifically)

nal

Ready to race!
my ecu then was still stock so the lag with a bigger intercooler was to be expected,i was just wanting to assess how much lag it would cause on a stock map.Thereafter i re flashed my ecu to stage one and the extra cool air gave the engine noticeable power gains,as expected

enkil

Ready to race!
Cool :D
Share with us how the overall performance of the IC.

Cheers

my ecu then was still stock so the lag with a bigger intercooler was to be expected,i was just wanting to assess how much lag it would cause on a stock map.Thereafter i re flashed my ecu to stage one and the extra cool air gave the engine noticeable power gains,as expected

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
Installed on a stock mk7R and the owner said he felt noticeable lag straight away. :eek:

Well that's quite normal, as you increase the air charge volume, there will inevitably be more lag as the air has to pressurize a larger volume from Turbo to throttle body.
Software and core design will help alleviate the added lag to some extent.
A good mix to restore a bit of response after installing a larger intercooler would be to add parts such as a pedal box and a GFB DV+ [which normally improve response and decrease perceived lag]

Sailor737

Ready to race!
It's starting to get warmer out where I live. That on top of being Stage 2 I think it's about time to get one of these. Guaranteed as soon as I get one on order APR or Unitronic or Forge will release their own versions.

bigdaddyvoodoo

Ready to race!
Anybody have this. Report?

Looks to be the best IC replacement at the moment. I'm in the market.

Sailor737

Ready to race!
I just had this installed last week along with a GFB DV, CTS Boost Pipe and a Turbo muffler delete. I don't feel a much of an increase in power however our temperatures haven't been too bad either, only around 84 peak temp. I do find that it doesn't seem to pull timing or lose power and that I can keep flogging it at the same time. It does add volume which is nice. At first I thought I might have added too much volume but I don't think that is the case with my Stage 2 tune. If you had a stock boost car then I think you would encounter lag. I really need to get. p3 gauge and/VCDS to monitor my temps and I'd love to see my 0-60 times.