GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warning, OIL STARVATION

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Everything should bolt right up. You will have to modify the bumper and fender liners on the GTI to allow airflow. The DSG side cooler is even cheaper however it requires the removal of the SAI system on a GTI/A3.
I already have R inner fender liners and have been contemplating the R bumper conversion.

All my part numbers match up to yours. The only difference was the Aux Cooler mounting bracket.
5Q0-121-093-FD is a plastic bracket $65@ DAP
5Q0-121-093-CT is a steel bracket $83@ DAP

I suspect the steel bracket may be for Mk7’s and the plastic for 7.5’s but looking at photos on ECS, both should fit.

I found the P/N# 5Q0-121-070-AP for the upper coolant crossover tube but i don’t think the short hose comes with it.
It’s cheaper to get the lower hose complete with coolant temp sensor and the coupling with T-piece for the Aux Cooler 5Q0-122-051-EG than the coupling alone.

VW Parts prices seem to have jumped significantly in 2021…..???

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
No idea why the coupling + hose is cheaper than just the coupling but that's VW for you.

And yes VW does not sell the roughly 6in line that runs from the hardline to the water pump coupler. They want you to buy an entire upper hose kit which is rather expensive. Any generic coolant hose you can pick up at Autozone should work instead.

Audi USA parts seems to have all the oem stuff for about 25-30% cheaper than other dealership websites, not sure why.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Hey folks so out at the track this weekend for HPDE 2 at VIR. The BL plate is blowing by a lot and my oil loss is really abysmal. There may be other things going on because I recently went stage 2 EQT from stage 1 APR so we'll see how Sunday goes.

The stock PCV plate previously on stage 1 at the track was nowhere near this bad. Currently just the BL plate on my '16 GTI DSG, no APR catch can due to shipping delays and I have the iAbed oil pan but did not have time to install before the track weekend.

Regapped my RS7 plugs to 0.024 since they were larger while on stage 1 and that helped with my fuel consumption and lowering Cobb knock metrics.

At this stage, wish I had installed Racingline while I had it because I'm getting meatball flags due to the excessive smoke. May try to go back to the stock PCV plate to compare it or my track time will be cut short today.

Mark one against the BL plate for now on track. Will update further after today.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
What tires and brakes are you running?

Most of the smoke happens in the Turn1 thru T-3 and the smoke cloud is generally considerable.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
CB6A31E1-8CCA-4E52-A95B-4CCF902E8C69.jpeg

This is about 1500miles of highway cruising from my Racingline CC. Mostly water.
4-session on track will be 650-750ml and half n half. That was with a Stg 1 APR low torque tune.

Totally expecting this to increase after the IS38 install. Stickier rubber And more boost…….
Haven‘t had a smoke trail with the Racingline CC. So at least this is not going through the turbo or IC.

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
Spring seems to be the worst time for the catch cans, temp swings cause a lot of condensation that gets collected. Also doesn't help that I park outside where it still is dropping to 40 every night. Each time I empty my can it seems to be mostly water with a bit of oil.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
What tires and brakes are you running?

Most of the smoke happens in the Turn1 thru T-3 and the smoke cloud is generally considerable.

Tires are 17" Federal SS595 235 all around (replacing soon anyway with RS4s, seem pretty good though on track), brakes are Ferodo DS2500 in the front, stock pads in the back and performance pack calipers/rotors. Front brakes are situated with SS lines, ATE200 fluid, titanium shims, RS3 ducts, removed dust covers etc. so no issues with fade and they are solid.

So the BL plate situation was odd and for sure not ideal at least for me. Saturday was hotter and so I was having to watch out for excessive oil smoke, high oil temps and tires greasing. Sunday rained a bit and cooled down so the temp issues were not an issue but still getting oil smoke. The oil smoke was almost at every turn and definitely more pronounced between acceleration and braking so figured it was vacuum leading to that. The main straight high-G braking it was there but not as bad as NASCAR and some other high speed high G turns.

What seemed to be the cause was any oil level above the bottom recommended dipstick level would burn off the first few laps then I'd be fine. So basically I was intentionally running low oil to not burn it off on track. This unfortunately led me to oil starve around turn 1 twice that triggered limp mode and had to reset it in the pit lane during my session so I started taking turn 1 easy.

Overall, not an ideal weekend and will be planning 100% to drop the BL plate in favor of APR full catch when it finally ships. Also already have an iAbed oil cooler kit since that will be a necessity in hot weather and also planning on the iAbed baffled oil pan to never have to worry about oil starve on high-G corners, usually at VIR that is turn 1 and the downhill start of rollercoaster for me (righthand turns)

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
So I would rather overfill the sump slightly and expect more oil to be caught up in the CC, then run the level low and suffer oil surge in Turn 1, T-10, T11-T12, T14-T15 and hogpen onto the front straight. I have not picked up any signs of bearing wear in my oil analysis. If your car went into limp mode due to oil surge, I would suggest pulling an oil sample and getting it analyzed. If tin and lead are low, then no worries. Yeah heading into turn 3 is where I have seen the big smoke screen clouds from various MQB cars. Kinda got to pick the lesser of the two evils in this case. I get why you ran lower oil levels.

Tuned cars with higher boost levels, definitely increase the amount of fluid in the Racingline CC on track. No real issue on stock power. I should not call it an issue, because the Racingline CC is just doing its job. But higher boost levels definitely contribute to more oil being pumped/caught in the CC. To the point that, oil levels need to be monitored closely after every session. Including more frequent emptying of CC. Ideally the can should drain back into the sump, as long as oil temps get up over 186F to burn off any moisture. Having seen how much water collects over the Winter makes me think that isn’t the ideal solution any longer. The Racingline CC definitely works on track, preventing the oil being dumped into the turbo inlet, but is not a complete solution. The new APR CC, definitely shows promise for big turbo conversions pushing big boost and for track rats on tuned stock turbos. In terms of mitigating the amount of oil that gets caught in the can, vs draining back into the sump.

I have also purchased the iABED baffled sump as added insurance to prevent oil surge. More so to replace the plastic sump. I also like the ECS stainless sump, but it has no baffling. The stock sump appears to be adequate if oil levels are maintained correctly. TCR’s retain the stock sump on slicks. Would be nice if APR could build an accusump kit for the Mk7’s, like they did for the Mk5&6’s. I like the idea of pre-lubing the engine before starting and then having that spare oil capacity for long sweeping corners to prevent oil surge.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
Interestingly I get barely any oil in the Spulen CC. I’ve never even needed to empty it. Oil temps hit 130-135C on occasion when ambient temps are high. Using 5W40 weight Liqui Moly. No noticeable oil loss. IE I don’t need to top up.
This is using 140TW tyres. I’m about 10s from fastest TCR car and about 4s from the slowest.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Thanks folks, think my takeaway really is the BL plate is not adequate for track. I'll have another track day in two weeks at VIR hopefully with the APR full CC installed to compare.

Also didn't help that my previously owned Cobb AP with an EQT stage 2 burble tune was on there probably dumping more fuel than necessary. Changed that for next time as well.

Planning to do a compression test to make sure the cylinders are good and will installed the baffled oil pan. I just need to trust this car again on track.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Ok so the APR full catch can is getting delayed AGAIN to June 18th from May 28th, this is getting ridiculous after ordering it at the beginning of April. What is the best available track catch can with PCV replace out today that isn't Racingline? Is it Spluen v2/CTS/IE?
Interestingly I get barely any oil in the Spulen CC. I’ve never even needed to empty it. Oil temps hit 130-135C on occasion when ambient temps are high. Using 5W40 weight Liqui Moly. No noticeable oil loss. IE I don’t need to top up.
This is using 140TW tyres. I’m about 10s from fastest TCR car and about 4s from the slowest.
Spluen v2 I assume? I think that's the one I'm going to get because I can't wait forever for APR.

Last edited:

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
The Spulen looks like a nice kit. No need to modify the engine cover. One assumes that emissions checks are not effected.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
There are delays across the board for parts, raw material and components. And if it is not a materials supply issues, it’s a people resource bottleneck.

I’m assuming it is the Spulen V2 that #Replicate installed. Will be interested to see how the Spulen works out for you at VIR. It would be nice to get some real world testing on the APR at VIR.

Why do you want to do a compression test?
Which club are you running with in 2-weeks?