GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warning, OIL STARVATION

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
There are delays across the board for parts, raw material and components. And if it is not a materials supply issues, it’s a people resource bottleneck.

I’m assuming it is the Spulen V2 that #Replicate installed. Will be interested to see how the Spulen works out for you at VIR. It would be nice to get some real world testing on the APR at VIR.

Why do you want to do a compression test?
Which club are you running with in 2-weeks?

Hey yep just ordered Spluen v2 and got their kit technically for the R since the GTI one is $30 more and the only difference is the R comes with the washer fluid feed neck part, rest is identical. Compression test just for my own sake since I haven't done that before and I'm curious, doubt it relates to anything here. Club would be Chin June 7-8 (Mon-Tues) at VIR and hopefully I'll have a lot of these parts installed to try out. Been driving with NASA and HookedOnDriving otherwise.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I was planning on running that Chin event but had to cancel. Also waiting on parts.

I‘ve signed up for the 3-day Potomac PCA event at the end of August. Its been a frustrating Spring. Chin is a great Club to run with.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
Ok so the APR full catch can is getting delayed AGAIN to June 18th from May 28th, this is getting ridiculous after ordering it at the beginning of April. What is the best available track catch can with PCV replace out today that isn't Racingline? Is it Spluen v2/CTS/IE?

Spluen v2 I assume? I think that's the one I'm going to get because I can't wait forever for APR.
Yep the V2. Only thing I'll note is that I get a little oil residue on the plate where the top part joins to the plate even after resealing it. Not a big problem though. Some gasket goo would probably sort it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Ok so the APR full catch can is getting delayed AGAIN to June 18th from May 28th, this is getting ridiculous after ordering it at the beginning of April. What is the best available track catch can with PCV replace out today that isn't Racingline? Is it Spluen v2/CTS/IE?

Spluen v2 I assume? I think that's the one I'm going to get because I can't wait forever for APR.
The Spulen is is great.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The Spulen looks like a nice kit. No need to modify the engine cover. One assumes that emissions checks are not effected.
The newest version of the Spulen is not compatible with the engine cover. You would have to leave the cover off. Then you can get the red coils to show off. 😂

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
The newest version of the Spulen is not compatible with the engine cover. You would have to leave the cover off. Then you can get the red coils to show off. 😂
For MK7? As far as I can tell on USP, the kit that you can't keep the cover is for MK6 GTIs. The MK7 kit for both R and GTI seem to fit the cover without issue unless I'm missing another product.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Spulen V2 would fit the cover on my mk7r if I had mounting spots for it. Consider loc-titing the internal baffle bolts before install to help the seeping on top. Scary shit if they managed to back out.

Best option on the market IMO, since you can use whatever can you want (VWR/APR don't sell their plates standalone).

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Spulen V2 would fit the cover on my mk7r if I had mounting spots for it. Consider loc-titing the internal baffle bolts before install to help the seeping on top. Scary shit if they managed to back out.

Best option on the market IMO, since you can use whatever can you want (VWR/APR don't sell their plates standalone).

Thanks for the loctite note, I guess I'll redo those will blue loctite from the bottom as I've heard that is the case in other reports. Browsing the USP website and the bill of materials, the Spluen v2 PCV adapter plate is item #16404 at this link. I think it used to be cheaper standalone because now it is $415 and might as well get the full kit for $570. I'm sure that is intentional pricing to make sure you buy their kit because I want to say before it was in the $200 range and then it made more sense to either connect it directly into to the intake elbow or run a cheaper CC setup.

https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Spulen-1.8T-and-2.0T-Gen3-Catch-Can-Adapter-V2.html

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for the loctite note, I guess I'll redo those will blue loctite from the bottom as I've heard that is the case in other reports. Browsing the USP website and the bill of materials, the Spluen v2 PCV adapter plate is item #16404 at this link. I think it used to be cheaper standalone because now it is $415 and might as well get the full kit for $570. I'm sure that is intentional pricing to make sure you buy their kit because I want to say before it was in the $200 range and then it made more sense to either connect it directly into to the intake elbow or run a cheaper CC setup.

https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Spulen-1.8T-and-2.0T-Gen3-Catch-Can-Adapter-V2.html
Did you ever get an APR full CC kit?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
He went with Spulens V2

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Ahh poo. In looking at the kit it looks to be pretty well put together so I was hoping someone had their hands on it to test it out.
I still have my order for the APR CC it just isn't supposed to ship till 6/18 and I had to go Spulen for my track days coming up. I'm sure APR will be great, will put the Spulen through its paces this coming Monday and Tuesday.

The Spulen V2 is a nice kit and has solid components, you can get the version meant for the R and save money for some reason. Allegedly the top house on Spulen has the tendency to leak over time so we'll see.

Last edited:

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie
I still have my order for the APR CC it just isn't supposed to ship till 6/18 and I had to go Spulen for my track days coming up. I'm sure APR will be great, will put the Spulen through its paces this coming Monday and Tuesday.

The Spulen V2 is a nice kit and has solid components, you can get the version meant for the R and save money for some reason. Allegedly the top house on Spulen has the tendency to leak over time so we'll see.
Bryce Jordan on youtube has a break down of it. The NEW full PCV APR catch can! Is it worth it?! | MK7 Golf R - YouTube. He shows a before and after install of his catch can and how full it was getting, not sure his previous setup but the APR kit looks like it made a huge difference.

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie